Sponsored by:

Adrian, any ideas what these are

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 07:40 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts
Default Adrian, any ideas what these are

I circled them in yellow. They are monted on amp rack tab for securing the amp rack. I broke the one of the right of the picture and am not sure if it came with the car or was installed by the original amp installer that made the amp rack.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Doug H; 12-21-2003 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:07 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

I cannot tell what the circled items are but if this is a picture of your trunk it would appear to be constitute a potentially very dangerous condition in the event of a crash.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:10 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Trade offs. Don't have a spare for up there anyway and no place to put my amps.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:14 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

The problem is not even so much the lack of the spare as protection. It is the possibility of an amp puncturing the fuel tank and/or sparks igniting fuel in event of an accident. Truly, I would eliminate or at least mitigate this condition -- McIntosh equipment is wonderful but safety is better.

P.S. How much amplification/channels do you need, perhaps there is an alternative that can be located under the seats.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:22 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

No room. I already have a shop fabricating a custom shelf so I can fit my sub amp up front. It is a monster and will take place of the Pheonix Gold ZX Titanium. I just do not have room for it right now. Definitely won't fit under seats.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:25 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Doug:

Whould a set of Wilson X-1's at home be a suitable replacement for all of this equipment?

Bob
Old 12-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Are you treating?
Old 12-20-2003, 08:29 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Unfortunately not but they would be cheaper than ICU bills.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:17 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the concern. Wish me luck. BTW, other than under the seats, where else are install shops putting amps. I have seen a lot of nice installs in these cars with amps in the front.

The main reason for the post is that I broke one of those things attached to each side. I am not sure if those came on the car or was something added by the stereo installer.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:36 AM
dove
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now heres a guy who doesent appreciate that beautifull flat 6 note .
Paul
C2 cab
Old 12-21-2003, 05:13 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Doug,
Oh yes that would cause your whining problem. They are the electrical supression units for the systems that use shielded wires. Again these exact puppies are explained and illustrated in my book. You must repair them. Those particualr units are used for items like airbag wiring, abs control unit wiring etc. Not good broken. They came with the 964 and you will find them all over.
I also have to agree with Robert on the mounting. Your amp system is going to be one very expensive strut brace. The movement under high load of the strut towers is upwards of 25 mm (1 inch). You may crush the unit. Plus in the event of a head on collision that amp is almost certainly going to pierce the fuel tank.
I would also be concerned about the EMF generated and maybe affecting the ABS control unit. At least it is not a C4 because you would end up with traction control in time with the song (just kidding).
To me that stuff would be better off in the rear. Take out the rear seats and install a luggage rack similar to the RSA or something.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

The new amp rack will angle all amps verticlaly or the way the main amps in mounted. The would seems to help the piercing issue a bit. The fused distribution block is up front behind the bumper will be the first thing that breaks in wrecked so no power will be going to the amps.

That amp rack has been in the about 5 years with different amps. The pressure you speak of is what broke the item probably. The right mount was screwed through the noise supression piece mount and that mount broke causing damage to that piece.

What about a halon system up front in cause of fuel cell rupture. I could do one of those fairly cheap (compared to the stereo gear anyway).
Old 12-21-2003, 01:29 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Doug,
I am not sure a halon system would help with fuel spilling out through the floor drains and through any crash damage onto the road.
Such an installation would not be permitted here but I know the rules in the USA are very different.
I am just agreeing with Robert that we do not agree that this is very safe for you the driver in the event of an accident. My greatest fear is being burned alive so I guess I am more alert to these things.
It is your 964 and your choice where you install things of course.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-21-2003, 01:43 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

In the event of the right (or wrong) type of crash, the amps could be pushed straight into the fuel tank and the sharp metal could pierce same. Cutting power at the fuse block (assuming it breaks as you expect) might stop power to the amps but possibly not in time. Additionally, a spark could occur at the fuse block or simply as the result of the fuse block breaking. Halon, assuming the system is not damaged in the accident, will not stop the potential explosion, although it might serve to quell the fire afterwards. In short, given one cannot be responsible for the acts of other drivers, and particularly if I had a family, I would reduce this system and eliminate all of the equipment from the trunk (which would also restore a more proper balance vis-a-vis the handling of the car).

P.S. How much does all of the equipment weigh?

P.P.S. One could install a reasonable system with two or three speakers in each door, speakers in the rear quarter panels and possibly even a subwoofer in an enclosure built into the rear and power it from two small amps either under the seat or in a specially made rear cabinet (or in the cabinet supplied with certain Type 964 carbriolets in place of rear seats). Perhaps not Carnegie Hall (no Porsche especially not a cabriolet is) but certainly should be safer and lighter.

P.P.P.S I have not even mentioned the potential puncture to your brake fluid tank.

Last edited by Robert Linton; 12-21-2003 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:26 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

You guys got me thinking and I am sure I can work something out.

Robert:

I don't have that many speakers. Just a pair of components front and rear and a sub in a sub box. I am biamping the fronts through an electronic crossover that is under the passenger's seat.

Weight, not sure but it is fairly heavy. The sub amp the rack is being built for weighs 50 pounds. I would image I have another 100 pounds up their right now. My sub box probably weighs 40 pounds give or take a few. It is occupying the back seat area, but I can remove it for passengers.

The sound right now is incredible and will blow you out even with the top down. I have Martin Logans and Mark Levison and Krell for my home system and this thing sounds comparable in detail and clarity. I even get nice imaging with the top down which was difficult to achieve.

Quick Reply: Adrian, any ideas what these are