Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken door stay repair methods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 03:38 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 372 Posts

With the door skin strengthened I sprayed the inner seam with rust inhibitor and went to work on the door stay mechanism which I believe is so impossibly stiff that it’s causing most of the problem. I’m just thinking about how much to shave off the rubber to reduce the clamping on the detents. I did think about grinding those down but am not sure if the metal would corrode so I nixed that idea.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

After sanding lots of rubber off and getting nowhere I took a Dremel cutting blade to the metal detent humps. Sorted as it can now be pushed through the detents by hand. It may make the door less stable on a hill but better that than a broken door skin.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:00 PM
ALSPEAKE
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I’ve fitted new stays to my car and although they are pretty much immovable off the car they only just hold the door open on a 20% uphill slope. There’s a huge amount of leverage and weight.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ALSPEAKE
I’ve fitted new stays to my car and although they are pretty much immovable off the car they only just hold the door open on a 20% uphill slope. There’s a huge amount of leverage and weight.
True, and all of the force is being transmitted to the inner door skin. Having had to take the door apart, send it off for repair and refit everything, given the choice between having compromised door holding ability and repeating this, I know what I’d choose.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:58 PM
ALSPEAKE
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM

True, and all of the force is being transmitted to the inner door skin. Having had to take the door apart, send it off for repair and refit everything, given the choice between having compromised door holding ability and repeating this, I know what I’d choose.
I agree it’s just that I enter my garage via a uphill slope so I notice when get out to open the doors. 90% of the time doesn’t really matter to much.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:49 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The door is now back together, with a door reinforcing kit and nice new Porsche door membrane. The detent function is compromised with the ground down stay but the door is still protected against over extension. Best of all the door now functions with no creaking.

Quick Reply: Broken door stay repair methods?