Sponsored by:

Battery Drain Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 12:03 PM
5hrine
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Earlydays
The switch is on the left side of the lid, near the hinge.
Its really odd. the engine lid switch is there on the left, but I still cannot see a front bonnet switch anywhere. There is another (alarm?) switch inside the front on the slam panel, but no light switch. I will take another look.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:40 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 258 Posts

The luggage compartment light switch may be placed in the lock mechanism.
Measurements must be done with the car locked. Did you use the DIY guide here?
Cheers,
Tore
Old 01-25-2018, 04:56 PM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 5hrine
Its really odd. the engine lid switch is there on the left, but I still cannot see a front bonnet switch anywhere. There is another (alarm?) switch inside the front on the slam panel, but no light switch. I will take another look.
The bonnet switch is (should be) adjacent to the bonnet light which is located to illuminate the fuse/relay box. Also bear in mind that, on some cars if the bonnet is open and the light is on, the engine light will also be on even though the engine lid is closed.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:36 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Midway through production (~MY92) the light switch was integrated into the front trunk lock.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:54 PM
NoSub Dan
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced my dome light and wired it backwards causeing a slow drain.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:31 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by ToreB
The luggage compartment light switch may be placed in the lock mechanism.
Measurements must be done with the car locked. Did you use the DIY guide here?
Cheers,
Tore
i cant see any wires leading from the luggage compartment light other than back into the main loom, via a connector near the lamp. I will have another look and also make sure the car is locked when I do the battery drain test.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:32 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Midway through production (~MY92) the light switch was integrated into the front trunk lock.
I checked and there are no electrical wires leading to the front trunk lock. (MY 1990) ????
Old 01-26-2018, 07:55 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by Harry Apps
The bonnet switch is (should be) adjacent to the bonnet light which is located to illuminate the fuse/relay box. Also bear in mind that, on some cars if the bonnet is open and the light is on, the engine light will also be on even though the engine lid is closed.
I have checked , but no switch???

luggage compartment light, but no switch
Old 01-26-2018, 08:09 AM
5hrine
Instructor

i cant see any wires leading from the luggage compartment light other than back into the main loom, via a connector near the lamp. I will have another look and also make sure the car is locked when I do the battery drain test.
Someone has cut the trunk light wires and attached live? to a front mounted switch ( which does not turn off the trunk light) ,maybe for the alarm. The wires from the main loom are intact and then from the connector, one wire is cut and not connected to anything, the other goes to the front (unknown ) switch, via the trunk light.

front (alarm?) switch . what is cut wire with the blue insulation /

Connector from main loom for trunk light has been cut and only one wire now runs from it to front trunk switch, via trunk light

Amp meter still reading around 270Ma with everything turned off, car locked. Removed CCU and it drops to 230Ma so CCU is drawing 40Ma at rest, fan was disconected on the back, so tested with/without fan connected and still only a 40Ma draw at rest, which seems a lot. With fan operational after IGN turned off reading is about 700Ma so CCU fan draws around 500Ma which also seems very high. Any ideas as its starting to be a bit confusing.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:55 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 258 Posts

The 964 luggage compartment light switch is either placed in the lock mechanism or on the right fender, near the fuse box. (not on the lid) A common fault in the latter is that the switch becomes misplaced, and is not depressed when you close the compartment lid.

The CCU will be active with CCU fan running for up to 20 minutes after ignition off. My DIY test procedure describes how to avoid this feature when measuring current draw. The CCU normally draws 500-700mA when active, including the fan. If the CCU does not turn off within 20 minutes, its internal power switching circuit might be damaged. This is easily repaired.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 01-26-2018, 11:46 AM
5hrine
Instructor

The 964 luggage compartment light switch is either placed in the lock mechanism or on the right fender, near the fuse box. (not on the lid) A common fault in the latter is that the switch becomes misplaced, and is not depressed when you close the compartment lid.

The CCU will be active with CCU fan running for up to 20 minutes after ignition off. My DIY test procedure describes how to avoid this feature when measuring current draw. The CCU normally draws 500-700mA when active, including the fan. If the CCU does not turn off within 20 minutes, its internal power switching circuit might be damaged. This is easily repaired.
Cheers,
Tore
CCU does not turn off, so that will need sorting. But if i isolate the CCU so it is not drawing any power from the battery, I am still left with approx 200 - 250 mA draw on the battery. What could this be, I have tested all the fused circuits and nothing is drawing any power, dont think its the alternator or the starter motor shorting as the draw would probably be greater. I think there is some sort of alarm installed, not sure if its factory or not, could this be the cause. As I seem to be running out of ideas.

Is this a factory fitted alarm ?

Could these chopped wires may be the cause?

Last edited by 5hrine; 01-26-2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: positioning
Old 01-26-2018, 12:56 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

The 964 luggage compartment light switch is either placed in the lock mechanism or on the right fender, near the fuse box. (not on the lid) A common fault in the latter is that the switch becomes misplaced, and is not depressed when you close the compartment lid..........
Sorry Tore, on my 1990 C2, the front light switch is on the hood, between the two mounting bolts that attach the lid to the hinge.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:47 PM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by Earlydays
Sorry Tore, on my 1990 C2, the front light switch is on the hood, between the two mounting bolts that attach the lid to the hinge.
I have a 1990 C2 also. There looks to be a hole between the two mounting bolts, (see pics above) must be for a switch, however the switch is not present, so assuming the button type switch at the front must be what is used now. This switch does not turn the trunk light off though. I thought it was for the alarm as its the same as the alarm switch in the engine compartment. I am wondering if this switch has anything to do with the remaining 200mA drain.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:51 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 1990 C2 also. There looks to be a hole between the two mounting bolts, (see pics above) must be for a switch, however the switch is not present, so assuming the button type switch at the front must be what is used now. This switch does not turn the trunk light off though. I thought it was for the alarm as its the same as the alarm switch in the engine compartment. I am wondering if this switch has anything to do with the remaining 200mA drain.
On my car the light switch was bad and intermittently would turn on the light, which would trigger the alarm if it was on, since "light on" meant the hood was open. It's easy to check if the light is on with the hood closed, the hood directly about the light will be warm to the touch,
Old 01-28-2018, 10:43 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Cheers,
Tore
Still need to find whats drawing approx 200mA. I have removed CCU (with faulty fan) and radio from the car and checked all the fused circuits and all the relays. I still have a draw of around 200mA with ignition off, locked. I just cannot work out where to look next. If the 200mA is not going through the fuse box, I am assuming it is being taken directly from the battery. Is it just the Starter/Alternator/Battery that are un-fused or am I missing something, and what would a good way of isolating the current drain be. Fortunately the systematic approach has highlighted, a faulty (missing) luggage compartment light, and a faulty CCU fan, but, 200mA is too much to feel happy about leaving. I am puzzled!

Quick Reply: Battery Drain Dilema