Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:42 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I copy this is from JackOlsen post from your link above, I though it is very importante info regarding the lithium batteries, specialy when the weather is cold.

From 'BatteryStuff.com'

Tips for LiFePO4 Battery Performance During Cold Weather

Cold weather doesn’t stop me from riding and it shouldn’t stop you either! In general LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron) motorcycle and ATV batteries are a moderate climate power source, but they can be used in some cold weather conditions with a little bit of knowledge. Let’s take a look at LiFePO4 powersport batteries and cold weather performance.

LiFePO4 batteries have an operating temperature down to about 0°F and we’ve heard of people using them at temperatures below this. We’ve even tested them ourselves right out of a freezer, and they worked, but that doesn’t mean they will always work! Most customers can start their vehicle on the first try when above 20°F if you keep in mind some cold weather starting tips.

Warming the LiFePO4 Battery Before Starting Your Vehicle

Once temperatures start to reach the mid-40s it is often helpful to warm the battery before starting. This doesn’t mean you need to wrap your battery in an electric blanket, or take a blow dryer out to heat up the battery! Instead we suggest running your headlights, running lights, or an accessory such as the radio for 30 seconds prior to starting your ATV.

This simple procedure will cause the passing of ions in the battery membrane, which effectively starts to heat the lithium in the battery thereby increasing the battery’s performance. Headlights are always the best option as they take a good amount of amperage to run and will heat up the battery quicker. You may need to increase the warming time to a couple of minutes if you have some low energy LED lighting on your vehicle.

Why will this help? LiFePO4 batteries typically have a simulated CCA test done at about 70°F because of their nature and the need for the lithium to be warm in order to perform. A normal lead acid battery CCA test is done at 0°F and shows how the battery will perform at extreme temperatures right from the get go.

In general, the more you pull from a lead acid battery, the weaker it becomes. Lithium motorcycle and ATV batteries are not meant for extreme temperatures, so the technology is different, and in a way it is the reverse of the typical lead acid battery that your application came with.

Let me explain. In LiFePO4 batteries the lower the temperature the higher the resistance is in the battery, and the higher the resistance the lowers the available capacity is in the battery. This means in lower temperatures the cutoff voltage to start the vehicle may be too low given the batteries available capacity. By running your headlights or accessories it will warm the lithium in the battery thereby lowering the resistance. Less resistance equals an increasing capacity, which increases the voltage under load, and allows you to start your vehicle.

At about 0°F you are at the bottom operating temperature range of a lithium powersport motorcycle and ATV battery. In order to get your vehicle to start at these low temperatures, you may need to run the headlights or accessories longer in the vehicle, but not too long. We suggest running them for about a minute, and then attempt to start the vehicle.

Keep in mind that if the first attempt to crank the vehicle over fails, the amperage pulled by the starter helps to heat the battery even more and the second attempt will perform better than the first. You may need to pause briefly between attempts in order to give the lithium a chance to warm. Several attempts to crank over the vehicle may be required the closer you are to 0°F, so do allow for those brief pauses, which will allow the battery to heat up.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:19 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Braille AGM

Im late to this thread but thought Id add my 2 cents. Went with the liteweight Braille brand for my new RSR IROC build, 88 donor car with 964 motor. I have not used a charger on it to date, and was driving the car at least once per week but just let it sit for 3 weeks (due to extremely cold/snowy weather) in a non climate controlled garage and it started on the first crank the other day. I went with Braille due to reputation, weight, and coventional connector posts.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:15 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Interesting, I wasn’t aware that a lithium would work in such cold temps. Jetta, out of curiosity, what do you see for voltage at the battery at idle? I’ve been suspicious that my ~13.6v is a bit low for alternator output. Mine doesn’t increase from there at higher rpm either. Perhaps a result of my poor quality reman Bosch alternator...
Old 01-05-2018, 12:20 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
...Jetta, out of curiosity, what do you see for voltage at the battery at idle? I’ve been suspicious that my ~13.6v is a bit low for alternator output. Mine doesn’t increase from there at higher rpm either....
From memory, using a digital cigarette lighter style plug reader, I was getting a reliable 13.8 to 14.1ish. I monitored it for a while since this is new territory.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:46 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 361 Posts

For those of you thinking about purchasing a Voltphreaks battery - hold the phone!

I reached out to Rennline to inquire about a group discount if we could put ten buyers together. Rennline reached out to Voltphreaks and they have teamed up to offer a 15% discount if we can put together a group buy of 10 or more batteries. Any Voltphreaks battery would qualify and they would include SAE posts and upgraded Aluminum SAE adapters.

If you're interested, please let me know by posting below (for the record, no affiliation). I have two cars to equip, so we already have two down: Thanks,

Voltphreaks Group Buy:

1. Foxman
2. Foxman
Old 01-05-2018, 02:42 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
I reached out to Rennline to inquire about a group discount if we could put ten buyers together. Rennline reached out to Voltphreaks and they have teamed up to offer a 15% discount if we can put together a group buy of 10 or more batteries. Any Voltphreaks battery would qualify and they would include SAE posts and upgraded Aluminum SAE adapters.

If you're interested, please let me know by posting below (for the record, no affiliation). I have two cars to equip, so we already have two down:
Interested. Need more info. Which Voltphreaks battery, which Rennline battery mount kit, pricing for each/total kit?

Thanks for the effort on this one !!

R.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:51 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Super90
Interested. Need more info. Which Voltphreaks battery, which Rennline battery mount kit, pricing for each/total kit?

Thanks for the effort on this one !!

R.

According to Rennline, "Any Voltphreaks battery would qualify and they would include SAE posts and upgraded Aluminum SAE adapters"

Here's Rennline's link with three batteries that suit our 964 's - Rennline is very knowledgeable, so feel free to call them: http://www.rennline.com/Batteries-Cables/products/173/

Here's the link to Voltphreaks with a complete listing of batteries: http://www.voltphreaks.com/products.php

Thanks for your interest!

Jim
Old 01-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

FYI the official list is now posted on a thread now posted in the Classified Parts Section. If you're interested, please add your name to the list on that thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...-discount.html

We have three buyers down, just seven to go...

Thanks!

Jim
Old 01-10-2018, 06:40 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

interesting,
not promoting Antigravity there , just though the technical side of lithim batterries explanation is interesting, specialty the part about charging, ect ...lower power and so on ...
Happy reading
http://www.westcoastbatteriesinc.com...avity/faq.html
Old 02-01-2018, 09:22 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Great video, and I second the exact same experience. Have to make/buy a bracket, stretch the wires a bit, and don't let it get super dead. Otherwise a huge weight savings, at a great price.
Nicely balances out the cat and primary weight savings at the rear.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:25 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Great video, and I second the exact same experience. Have to make/buy a bracket, stretch the wires a bit, and don't let it get super dead. Otherwise a huge weight savings, at a great price.
Nicely balances out the cat and primary weight savings at the rear.
Thanks for posting. I certainly find this battery intriguing for the price. The down-side is that the battery has only 480 amps, it isn't rated below 40 degrees, it has no reserve, and has no built-in cut-off switch. Sooner or later that battery will leave you stranded. The Voltphreaks battery has 940 amps, it's rated to minus 22 degrees, it has a built-in on off switch with remote capability, and it has LVC (low voltage cutoff) to prevent overdischarge. This means the battery will automatically shut off if you evr leave the lights on, leaving you enough reserve power to get the car started. That means you will never have a dead battery again. What's that worth??

For anyone interested in the Voltphreaks battery, the batteries are rarely on sale but there is a 15% discount now available through a Rennlist group-buy if you place your order by February 5, 2018. See the details here: https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...l#post14761706
Old 02-01-2018, 03:45 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

No doubt the Voltshreak is a bigger, better battery. I'm just relaying my experience, and hope it helps someone else. I found this option when I last needed to buy a new battery, and couldn't stomach buying another 40 lb lead acid battery. This option came up, and it's also worked for me, and through a lot of different conditions. I'm sure it could cause problems in extreme environments, leaving lights on, and if you have a power drain or leave it sitting for a long time. That said, I haven't noticed any issues if the car is healthy, frequently used and in a mild climate. I don't want to sell the battery short, but it has its limits too....

BTW, glad you reached your group buy minimum. Definitely a much better battery!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:31 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
No doubt the Voltshreak is a bigger, better battery. I'm just relaying my experience, and hope it helps someone else. I found this option when I last needed to buy a new battery, and couldn't stomach buying another 40 lb lead acid battery. This option came up, and it's also worked for me, and through a lot of different conditions. I'm sure it could cause problems in extreme environments, leaving lights on, and if you have a power drain or leave it sitting for a long time. That said, I haven't noticed any issues if the car is healthy, frequently used and in a mild climate. I don't want to sell the battery short, but it has its limits too....

BTW, glad you reached your group buy minimum. Definitely a much better battery!
Thanks 911Jetta, and I have to admit that BatteryTender is a good affordable option if your car is not a daily driver and you don't live in a cold climate.

Quick Reply: Lightweight Battery?