Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase decision

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 07:10 PM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had purchased a Mini Cooper S with all the bells and whistles. In my mind, the Mini felt very disconnected. My parents have a new Carrera 4S, and I thought the car had a lot of the same characteristics as the Mini. We all know coupes are in high demand, however, cabriolets are not getting near the attention. I think it's crazy that you can buy a low mileage cabriolet for almost a third of the cost of a comparable coupe. I think the coupes have been hyped up by the west coast crowd, RWB, and the ones who like to lower and stick BBS wheels on, low rider. Don't get me wrong, I like the look too, just don't think a high mileage coupe deserves to be 60k while a low millage cabriolet is 30k. I think these prices will correct themselves someday, making a low mileage cabriolet a real bargain.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:20 PM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
I'm not knocking the newer Porsche's they are amazing. The 991 in my eyes is the best looking 911 since the 964. But after I sold my 997tt, I've hardly thought about it since and that was probably the closest thing to a super car I'll ever have in my garage. I still lay in bed at night thinking of my 964 turbo. Selling that car was the dumbest thing I've ever done but it was using a quart of oil every 700 miles and a faint whine appeared in the transmission and at the time I just didn't make the money i would have needed to rebuild those big ticket items. I should have just stuck it in the garage under plastic and let it sit till I made more money. I only paid 29000 dollars for it and it was in great shape. I remember the day I got it home I literally sat in the garage for 3 hours drinking some beer and just looking at it. It was the massive realization of a dream. Maybe I'm chasing that feeling that I had then that I'll only get once with a car. I know this 968 just isn't doing it for me, although I think it's beautiful to look at, but it was just to hold me off till we got settled in our new house and I could move up to something better. Now the itch is back and it's gotta be scratched!!!
I know the feeling. Traded a beautiful black 928 S4 and 10K for a brand new 2000 Nissan Ultima
Old 12-24-2017, 07:44 PM
makoshark72
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cool whip
I know the feeling. Traded a beautiful black 928 S4 and 10K for a brand new 2000 Nissan Ultima
Yikes!!!
Old 12-24-2017, 07:57 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

LOL
Old 12-24-2017, 08:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
I'm not knocking the newer Porsche's they are amazing. The 991 in my eyes is the best looking 911 since the 964. But after I sold my 997tt, I've hardly thought about it since and that was probably the closest thing to a super car I'll ever have in my garage. I still lay in bed at night thinking of my 964 turbo. Selling that car was the dumbest thing I've ever done but it was using a quart of oil every 700 miles and a faint whine appeared in the transmission and at the time I just didn't make the money i would have needed to rebuild those big ticket items. I should have just stuck it in the garage under plastic and let it sit till I made more money. I only paid 29000 dollars for it and it was in great shape. I remember the day I got it home I literally sat in the garage for 3 hours drinking some beer and just looking at it. It was the massive realization of a dream. Maybe I'm chasing that feeling that I had then that I'll only get once with a car. I know this 968 just isn't doing it for me, although I think it's beautiful to look at, but it was just to hold me off till we got settled in our new house and I could move up to something better. Now the itch is back and it's gotta be scratched!!!
There is no doubt there’s something very special about the 964 and I do think you will get that feeling back once you have one back in the garage. The only other car I have driven to date that gives me that same feeling of something really unique and connected is my Spyder.

I had purchased a Mini Cooper S with all the bells and whistles. In my mind, the Mini felt very disconnected. My parents have a new Carrera 4S, and I thought the car had a lot of the same characteristics as the Mini. We all know coupes are in high demand, however, cabriolets are not getting near the attention. I think it's crazy that you can buy a low mileage cabriolet for almost a third of the cost of a comparable coupe. I think the coupes have been hyped up by the west coast crowd, RWB, and the ones who like to lower and stick BBS wheels on, low rider. Don't get me wrong, I like the look too, just don't think a high mileage coupe deserves to be 60k while a low millage cabriolet is 30k. I think these prices will correct themselves someday, making a low mileage cabriolet a real bargain.
Funny when I drove the 3rd gen Mini I thought the same thing, the car felt disconnected and bland. 2nd generation was better but not by much, I guess the Porsche spoiled us. I would also add that a Targa is a great buy also if you can find a good one. It may not be as stiff as the coupe but it definitely can hold its own in the corners and it provides a very similar experience as a cab without the maintenance of the mechanical top.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:40 AM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

There is no doubt there’s something very special about the 964 and I do think you will get that feeling back once you have one back in the garage. The only other car I have driven to date that gives me that same feeling of something really unique and connected is my Spyder.

Funny when I drove the 3rd gen Mini I thought the same thing, the car felt disconnected and bland. 2nd generation was better but not by much, I guess the Porsche spoiled us. I would also add that a Targa is a great buy also if you can find a good one. It may not be as stiff as the coupe but it definitely can hold its own in the corners and it provides a very similar experience as a cab without the maintenance of the mechanical top.
Couldn't agree more. With such a low production number, one at least has to consider the option of a Targa over a coupe. Right now, you could probably own a cabriolet and Targa for the same cost of owning one coupe.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:45 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I take a 964 every day of the week vs a 991 unless it’s gt3rs.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:40 AM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

hi Jerry,
I am fortunate enough to have many P cars over the years, I have 5 right now. I can tell you that the the 991 GT3 & RS I own are any but boring .I assume the entire 991 line are also great.
That said I also have a 964 Targa which I love .if feels like an old friend and since you have been there you will love it also.
Welcome back
Elliot
Old 12-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohead
hi Jerry,
I am fortunate enough to have many P cars over the years, I have 5 right now. I can tell you that the the 991 GT3 & RS I own are any but boring .I assume the entire 991 line are also great.
That said I also have a 964 Targa which I love .if feels like an old friend and since you have been there you will love it also.
Welcome back
Elliot
Thanks Elliot. Not back yet but hope to be in the near future.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:50 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 154 Posts

Tip is hard to swallow, there are a few here in LA taking forever to sell
Old 12-27-2017, 08:50 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 580 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Tip is hard to swallow, there are a few here in LA taking forever to sell
NZ new 964s were 90% Manual and 10% Tipo, indicating the local markets preferred choice. In the late ‘90s and early ‘00s a lot of ex Asia cars were imported, many of them Tipos. As a result the market is over supplied with non preferred cars and they are a hard sell. That said, some are in beautiful original condition and they have their place in congested traffic. The New Zealand US dollar differential is $10,000 for C4 to Tipo and $20,000 for C2 to C2 Tipo.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:17 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of 964 owners here in the Dallas area...

Quick Reply: Purchase decision