Sponsored by:

horn wiring problem on racing steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 02:26 AM
dezpimpdada
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horn wiring problem on racing steering wheel

Hi guys, i recently bought a 1992 964 ( still super excited) and noticed the ugly bulky steering wheel so i decided to swap it out with a momo racing steering wheel. i was able to remove and install the new steering wheel, bypass the airbag lights however have no luck on making the horn to work. i installed the horn contact needed to convert airbag steering wheel to non airbag and made sure that the tip was contacting the momo hub but got stuck there. i brought it to my mechanic so he can finish it but he said he would need to modify the power system to get power directly from the POSITIVE line because the horn was running and getting power from NEGATIVE system. i ask him why its so complicated because its pre-wired but he didn't know why. he used a tool to make the horn working by supplying both positive and negative line and the horn worked when he supply it with positive line so he concluded that it needed to be converted to positive power system and modify the wiring. i did some reading and it doesn't make sense from what i have seen so i need some help and clarification before he started messing around with the wiring and the power system. Am i missing something here on the wiring procedure? any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-19-2017, 02:41 AM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

The two wires that went into the clock spring that you removed when installing the new steering wheel are the ground wire and horn wire. Cut the two wires. The ground wire is not needed. Tape it up and tuck the ground wire away.

Connect the horn wire to the copper L portion in the horn contact. Install the Momo adaptor such that the copper portion on the adaptor is in contact with the copper L on the horn contact.

The Momo adaptor hub has a wire coming out of it. Connect the wire from the adaptor to the male plug on the horn and that’s it. The wire coming from the Momo adaptor is electrically connected to the horn wire from the car via the hub. When you press the horn button you are completing the circuit so the horn should now sound.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:12 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently installed a Momo hub and wheel in my '89 964. Had it all wired up correctly but couldn't get the horn button to work. Finally noticed that it would only work if I exerted a bit of tension on the wire that comes with the hub( the one that is soldered to the copper ring). As soon as the tension went away, the horn wouldn't work. Long story short, we spend a couple of hours fiddling with it, realizing the something was amiss with the connection between the copper ring and the contact "prong". it was only when I twisted the copper ring a bit and installed the hub that I could get it to work.
I know this probably doesn't make much sense. It had several of us befuddled.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:07 PM
dezpimpdada
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BoostedToy, mbintx, thanks for the instructions and head ups it seems pretty straight forward but yet many have struggled. i will give it a try this weekend hopefully i get it right the first time!

Quick Reply: horn wiring problem on racing steering wheel