Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this look like an accident?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 11:09 PM
Alfa40
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does this look like an accident?

Hi guys,

Things are getting pretty serious and for the first time in 2 years search, I am looking at two possible candidates for my first Porsche.

Yesterday, I test drove a 964 Carrera 4 Convertible that drove superbly, but had two dents on the front fenders that look suspicious. I was wondering if this is a common spot for cars to develop creases if they were involved in an accident, so I thought I'd upload the pictures and let you be the judge of it

In case it's hard to see, it's not just paint chipping off, it has a visible creases / dings on both each side.

Alfa40

Passenger Side

Driver Side
Old 12-19-2017, 04:52 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

maybe driven into a very large pothole?
Old 12-19-2017, 09:28 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Just looking at the drivers side I can state for a fact that its had paintwork. The finish isn’t consistent. I would definitely inquire about the reason for the reps ray and if there’s any doubt about the seller telling the truth I would walk away.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:17 PM
Alfa40
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car has been repainted and the seller is transparent about that. The reason was dull paint and some chips, although it seems like he regrets the repaint now.
There are pictures of the car prior to the repaint and they don't show the creases. The seller enquired with a body shop and someone suggested over tightened fender bolts. Is that a thing? Lastly, he offered to get a frame inspection done, adding to his trustworthiness, of course. Carfax is clean.
Which imperfections in the finish can you make out? And how much would it take to get rid of these creases, or at least the chipping paint? Sorry, never had paintwork or bodywork performed on any car before.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:38 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

sub'd again...

Quick Reply: Does this look like an accident?