964 Heater Servo removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 02:05 PM
dtunnicliffe
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 Heater Servo removal

Greetings from Blighty!

Well, the article on removing and repairing the heater servos is great BUT it does not take account of my own problem.. Not only does the car have A/C (which makes it more difficult to get behind the pipework) but the servo that has failed on my car has 3 mounting screws. I have removed the rear 2 without problem (they are all torqx by the way). The front one however, is at a rediculous angle and I can't think of a way to get at it, tucked away under the servo arm as it is. Any ideas?????????????

Frustrated of England!
Old 12-14-2003, 02:15 PM
gjvander
Rennlist Member

Can you remove the servo arm? I had to take the heater servo out on my car, and I think I ended up having to take the little servo arm off.

Geo
Old 12-14-2003, 03:49 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Dave,
You have to pop the arm off. It just pops off with a little force. I have not had any problems pulling these things out. However we have found in some UK RHD 964s (very recently) that they have dealer installed air con and not factory installed. This may well create problems. I know it creates wiring problems when trying to use the 993 series of control units. I have factory aircon and cannot report anything making life difficult. I am sure though tha LHD is easier than RHD.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-14-2003, 05:16 PM
dtunnicliffe
Track Day

Geo and Dave,

Thank you both for your prompt reply. My car is a German (LHD) model. The arm (stuck) is well to the left and I believe even if off would not provide additional vantage on the torqx bolt. I am back at work tomorrow and will ask my installation team (I am in I T, so someone may have a double bend tool). What is a real snag is that it looks like I may have sold the car and the guy would like to take it BEFORE Christmas (naturally, did I hear you say..). I will order a new servo tomorrow but may have to offer a token guesute to having it plugged in.. Shame, so near etc..

ANY of the remaining 4 servos and it would have been fine. I can't even imaging unscrewing the servo from the mounting plate..

Dave
Old 12-14-2003, 08:29 PM
Roly Baldwin
Racer

Dave,

You could undo the 10mm(?) nut that holds the arm on. Just mark it so you know how to put it back on. Probably easiest to pop the balljoint off first. This should give the access you need.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:37 AM
dtunnicliffe
Track Day

Hi Roly,

Thanks for your prompt reply. IF I am successful, I will reconstruct and take some photos as additional background info for those with 3 torqx bolts rather than 2 philips screws. [The back two came out real easy, this remaining one at the front is a *%^$£ frankly.. And I only met Dr Wolfgang Porsche back in August. If I'd have known I could have had a moan about construction methods.. hehehe.

I will keep you you all posted.

regards

Dave
Old 12-15-2003, 06:40 AM
Elliot Davies
Intermediate

When i did the servos on my old 964 i replaced the torques screws with normal crosshead screws enabling me to use a dumpy screwdriver making it easier to get into the parts, I also used a sticky grease to hold the screw onto the driver and another helpfull hint.........pack around the motor to catch the dropped screw.......... this will more than likely happen ;-))
Old 12-31-2003, 04:39 AM
dtunnicliffe
Track Day

Geo, Roly, Eliot,

New servo received and now installed and comfort restored to the cabin!

Maya Culpa! Being an engineer I failed to read al of your article exactly Roly.. "..... and lift the servo out."

I decided that no tool on earth could get under the servo to undo the lower bolt I referred to so.... Having removed the 2 side torqx screws, I took hold of it, lifted and out it came..

writing this on New Years Eve I wish you all a very Happy and Peaceful 2004 and many happy miles of Porsche motoring!

Warm (at last) regards. Dave

Quick Reply: 964 Heater Servo removal