Sharper steering?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Beer Brewer
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sharper steering?

Hi All:

I love my 964, but I have to admit that the steering is less sharp than my previous 997s. It’s funny, my 964 tracks well and initial turn-in is decent, but then it gets vague about 5 degrees off center (presumably as the suspension loads? Dunno). I’m having the shocks replaced as they’re just damn old, but I thought I might shop for an upgrade while I’m at it. I am NOT interested in going to 993 uprights or anything like that, and in fact I’m not interested in lowering the car either. I thought about replacing the inner tie rods with either new OEM, perhaps getting the Elephant Racing bump steer kit as it has a solid inner tie rod. I will NOT track the car, I’m just looking for sharper, more responsive steering. I know it’s not the tires as I just put a fresh set of MPSS on and the car is aligned to factory specs.

So, what are my best options? ERP bump steer kit? OEM tie rod replacements and maybe some different alignment settings? I think FVD offers solid inner tie rods as well?

Thanks!

Pete
Old 11-06-2017, 07:30 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2c worth.. if you don't plan on tracking the car.

Get all the front bushes replaced with new rubber or urethane. Perhaps a steering brace from Rothsport, a good alignment closer to RS specs and call it done.
The new suspension itself will transform the car and give you a more precise feel.

Regards,

Neil
Old 11-06-2017, 12:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

This was talked about in a previous thread. The 964 steering feels lazy for a few reasons: worn rubber bushings and worn shocks. It will never feel like a 997 though. I have fully suspension built GT3 and 964 and while he 964 is really really good, the GT3 is like a precision instrument, it's just 20 years of chassis evolution you can't replicate with bolt ons on a 964.

If the car was 100% street I would:
1. replace the shocks
2. replace steering rack bushings with urethane ones
3. steering rack brace
4. replace steering tie rod inners with ERP monoball design - this is were a lot of the slop comes from
5. Replace the outers, if you can use stock, they are ok, they are solid enough. ERP is an option
6. Look at your A-arm bushings, sway bar bushings, and the upright lower mount. If any are worn, replace. You can go monoball, or replace with rubber. I'd not both with anything middle ground.
7. Align the car proper

Other things that will help with feel and not make car too hardcore:
--rear engine mounts
--evaluate rear a arm and spring plate bushings - replace if needed
--sway bar mounts
Old 11-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Spyrex, can you post a link to the monoball inner tie rods from erp...
Old 11-06-2017, 01:52 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 86 Posts

This is the same characteristic the cars had when brand new, from my experience mostly from the excessive caster in the front that leads to that "dead" feel in the middle of the corner. I wouldnt get too crazy chasing a bunch of expensive hard parts until I really thought about how to tune the car a bit around your basic needs of ride height, bump compliance etc.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:51 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Spyrex, can you post a link to the monoball inner tie rods from erp...

http://www.tarett.com/items/993-964-...rtr-detail.htm
Old 11-07-2017, 11:21 AM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

These really tightened mine up as well. Well worth the $$$
Old 11-07-2017, 02:23 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mystert
These really tightened mine up as well. Well worth the $$$
Anyone have any comparison to the elephant version?

https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...-rods-for-964/
Old 11-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I’ve driven both the tarett and the elephant tie rods back to back. They were 993s so a bit different than your 964, but I can still give you my impressions and maybe it’ll help.

Going from the rubber tie rods to any solid tie rod is a significant improvement. I was chasing suspension slop in my car and Spyerx’s advice is right on target. To get the feeling I wanted I had to replace control arm bushings, then the ball joints, then the rack bushings and tie rods. Finally my front end felt tight, but my rear was suddenly obviously loose, so I had to replace all bushings and balljoints in the rear as well. Your rear suspension is less complicated, so you don’t have to do as much to tighten it up luckily.

As for the comparison. I think the tarett tie rods are fantastic and you can mate them to your own wheel carriers if you use OEM outers (which I’d replace at the same time). If you aren’t planning on much lowering, that’s a great way to go.

The ER tie-rods are nice because you get both outer and inner in one package and it works with stock carriers as-is. The bump steer correction does seem to work, the car I drove was RS height and I didn’t feel any bump steer. Steering felt nicely alive in my hands, though the ‘feel’ was a little different. Maybe a little lighter? Not sure, it was subtle, but the geometry is changed so you may feel that. Overall I liked it but am very happy with my choice of tarett and wouldn’t want it any other way.

If you want to read more about my impressions on that drive: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...monoballs.html

If you want to read more about my impressions of 993 vs 997 driving: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...pressions.html

Last edited by Tlaloc75; 11-09-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:54 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
I’ve driven both the tarett and the elephant tie rods back to back. They were 993s so a bit different than your 964, but I can still give you my impressions and maybe it’ll help.

Going from the rubber tie rods to any solid tie rod is a significant improvement. I was chasing suspension slop in my car and Spyerx’s advice is right on target. To get the feeling I wanted I had to replace control arm bushings, then the ball joints, then the rack bushings and tie rods. Finally my front end felt tight, but my rear was suddenly obviously loose, so I had to replace all bushings and balljoints in the rear as well. Your rear suspension is less complicated, so you don’t have to do as much to tighten it up luckily.

As for the comparison. I think the tarret tie rods are fantastic and you can mate them to your own wheel carriers if you use OEM outers (which I’d replace at the same time). If you aren’t planning on much lowering, that’s a great way to go.

The ER tie-rods are nice because you get both outer and inner in one package and it works with stock carriers as-is. The bump steer correction does seem to work, the car I drove was RS height and I didn’t feel any bump steer. Steering felt nicely alive in my hands, though the ‘feel’ was a little different. Maybe a little lighter? Not sure, it was subtle, but the geometry is changed so you may feel that. Overall I liked it but am very happy with my choice of tarret and wouldn’t want it any other way.

If you want to read more about my impressions on that drive: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...monoballs.html

If you want to read more about my impressions of 993 vs 997 driving: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...pressions.html

Thank you! I think in that case I will go with the taretts. By the way (since you're semi local), you should come out and join us in the Silver Sage region for an event next year if you're up for a bit of a road trip. For Oktoberfast we get people from OR and WA for the event, and I think we had one from AZ this year. Would love to see a bigger 964/993 presence out here some time!
Old 11-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

That would be fun, I'll check out your event calendar and see if anything will work.

Another thing I just thought of. When you pull the shocks, be sure to check your mounts carefully. Slop in the mounts could contribute to handling problems under load. When I did mine, the fronts were in OK visual shape and the rears were cracked through. I replaced both under the assumption that all of the 20 year old rubber in the suspension is suspect even if it looks OK visually.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:01 AM
Beer Brewer
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Gents! Tarrett rods are on the way!
Old 11-10-2017, 04:15 PM
palmxp3
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Any one have experience with the FVD inner rods or are the Tarretts the way to go? https://www.fvd.net/us-en/9643470580...-monoball.html
Old 11-10-2017, 05:02 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by palmxp3
Any one have experience with the FVD inner rods or are the Tarretts the way to go? https://www.fvd.net/us-en/9643470580...-monoball.html
they cost more
Old 11-10-2017, 05:06 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Great thread. Learning a lot!

Originally Posted by palmxp3

Nick reviewed them in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...es-all-in.html

Quick Reply: Sharper steering?