Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering response/upgrades - all in

Old 05-02-2017, 06:36 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Steering response/upgrades - all in

This is about all that you can do for the 964 steering, bumpsteer notwithstanding. Cliff notes version, the solid inner tie rods are the biggest upgrade, followed by a smaller diameter steering wheel. The other changes are subtle.

1. Poly steering rack bushings
2. 993 steering rack
3. 363mm RS steering wheel
4. FVD inner tie rods
5. Electric power steering

1. The poly steering rack bushings are a very minor improvement to steering response. They are, however, very cheap and not too difficult to replace. The stock bushings are very soft rubber and will allow the rack to shift left/right by a small amount as you steer. No added NVH with the poly. I would recommend them for everyone. Buy them on ebay and avoid some of the Porsche tax.

Name:  poly_bushings.jpg
Views: 3833
Size:  5.4 KB

2. The 993 rack is slightly quicker than the 964. The 964 rack ratio is 18.5:1. The 993 rack is 16.5:1. I measured the rack travel per steering wheel turn as 44mm/turn for the 964, and 48.6mm/turn on the 993 rack. Sounds significant. In reality, it’s barely perceptible. Despite a Porsche bulletin saying that it won't fit into a 964 C4, it fits perfectly fine. Will obviously fit a C2 also. Completely plug and play. More info in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post13813785

3. The 964 RS 4-spoke steering wheel is a very nice improvement. Feels great in the hand and fits the car perfectly. With my 4’10 wife right up against the airbag of the stock wheel, it was an easy decision. These wheels pop on ebay often. Few seem to realize that quite a few late 944’s came with this “sport” steering wheel. While you're at it, use the late 944 horn pad with it. The 944 pad is about an inch more narrow than the pads that came on 911’s with this style of wheel. The 964 airbag wheel is 380mm, the 4-spoke RS wheel is 363mm. More here: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...d-install.html

4. FVD monoball inner tie rods <-- you want these. These really sharpen the steering response and bring the car into the modern era. Anyone who has installed the 993evo uprights are noticing the solid tie rods when they steer and not the different upright geometry. I have no idea why Porsche uses these forked inner tie rods with a big chunk of rubber separating the pieces. Most makes/models seem to use solid inners.

The 3.2 models have been using these solid inners (“turbo” tie rods) for ages. Lucky for them the price is peanuts. Unlucky for us, the cheapest 964 option is these FVD parts, which definitely aren’t cheap for a simple inner tie rod. There may be a generic off-the-shelf part out there somewhere, but I wasn’t able to find anything. The thread into the steering rack is a normal M14x1.5. The thread onto the outer tie rod, however, is an M14x1.5 female thread. Good luck finding that combo, let alone in the correct length. FYI- these FVD parts come from Germany, so use your travel credit card and avoid the DM exchange charge!

Name:  278BFBFF-4380-454A-A49D-59B6184D8390.jpg
Views: 4651
Size:  318.4 KB

5. Last, electric steering from an A-class Merc. Don’t expect a performance benefit here. All of the stock parts that get removed: pump, all lines, hardware, add up to almost exactly 10lbs. The Merc pump is 8.4lbs, plus another pound or so for the new lines and brackets. So you’re moving a whopping 10lbs from the front of the engine to the frunk. The lack of drag of the mechanical pump is partly/completely made up for in the increased electromechanical drag from the higher alternator load. My butt dyno can’t perceive any extra hp.

What you do get out of this: greatly simplified ps lines and the removal of all of the very expensive leaky stock lines. Unfortunately, you also get a noticeable “hmmmmmm” from the pump. I’m going to try and baffle the sound. The swap is relatively easy once you accumulate all of the parts:

- 10awg wire for +12v off the battery, a 60amp in-line fuse, and m6 ring terminal for the +battery connection
- an6 straight fittings for high-pressure hose, x2
- high pressure power steering hose (I used aeroquip aqp high pressure ps hose), 3ft is plenty
- an6 to m16x1.5 adapter with o-ring
- an6 to m12 banjo fitting
- Cohline 9.5mm power steering return line hose (pn 2019970382), 16mm od hose clamps, and reuse the barbed banjo from the stock line
- homemade brackets
- grommet where the lines pass into the frunk

Name:  electricPS_lines.jpg
Views: 3844
Size:  106.9 KB

Here’s a video of it humming away:

Last edited by -nick; 05-02-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:54 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Edit: This is how I'm turning the pump on now: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post15145555

Almost forgot- here is a pic of the switched +12v for the ps pump. Not sure if C2's have this same plug, I think that it's in all abs cars as an abs diagnostic/test plug. The red wire is switched 12v and is convenient to use for the ps pump remote on/off. If you suck the solder out of the terminal, there is room for an additional 22awg wire. Then solder both wires into the terminal.

Name:  electricPS_wiring.jpg
Views: 3661
Size:  91.8 KB

Last edited by -nick; 07-16-2018 at 05:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (10-13-2019)
Old 05-02-2017, 07:34 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the all the references, especially on the EHSP . I have a mr2 pump ready to go in. Just have to figure out the bracket.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like these would work:

http://www.tarett.com/items/993-964-...9#ITEM_7107120
Old 05-02-2017, 09:36 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Why would you do the tie rods instead of the uprights?
Old 05-02-2017, 11:29 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks for the writeup, especially on the power steering setup.

What outer tie rods are you using and did you add the 993 steering rack brace?
Old 05-03-2017, 12:22 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadrega
Why would you do the tie rods instead of the uprights?
That's not even what he said. Go back and read, "bumpsteer notwithstanding."

He's saying that when people do the 993 Evo uprights, the mod requires the upgraded inner tie-rod. So when post-mod, they attribute the steering feel to the upright, but it's actually the tie-rod they're feeling.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:02 AM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

Great writeup! I noticed your pump sound much louder compared to mine. Maybe, try to isolate any metal on metal mounting point with rubber grommet?

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 05-03-2017, 02:01 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
That's not even what he said. Go back and read, "bumpsteer notwithstanding."

He's saying that when people do the 993 Evo uprights, the mod requires the upgraded inner tie-rod. So when post-mod, they attribute the steering feel to the upright, but it's actually the tie-rod they're feeling.
ah ok
Old 05-03-2017, 03:18 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nick,

Did you drill hole for the holes routing? Can you take more photos of placement of your set up? How did you remove the original stuff. i heard it's major PITA
Old 05-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

The trick setup with the Evo upright (which is not available right now) is the ERP outer tie rod with the ERP inner tie rods which are a direct copy of the old RS pieces which are NLA. The FVD setup is similar but slightly different in design.

I like what you did with the electric pump. Remove the parasitic drag, the pipes running under the car, etc.

I opted to leave my rack stock as with all of my chassis/suspension work and how direct the car is I'm not sure I want any quicker response :-)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:45 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

Are the ERP inners the same as what Tarett is selling?

EDIT: http://www.tarett.com/items/993-964-...rtr-detail.htm
Old 05-03-2017, 05:03 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

When I rebuilt my steering rack last month I used the Tarrett inners and OEM Lemforder outers. They are OE quality and super stout. My alignment guy really liked them as well. The Tarrett's eliminate the double ended internally threaded tube section with the stock 964. Much easier to align the car with only the one threaded section vs the stock two Darin said. I used 993 accordion boots and everything fit well. I kept my stock uprights and the steering is so much more responsibe now. Love it
Old 05-03-2017, 07:38 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Cheers folks!

Achtung, yes I should have mentioned the inner tie rod option from Tarett. With the generous discount from Rhonda at FVD, the price is about the same between the two.

tjb, I'm using stock outer tie rods. I didn't add the steering rack brace but it's on my list to make. It's just a flat bar of aluminum with two holes and two spacers. I can't believe anyone pays money for these... I honestly don't expect it to do much but it can't hurt.

Andrew, good to know that yours runs quieter! I'll post up some more pics of my mounts. Undoubtedly, it could be better isolated. I have some extra oil tank rubber mounts that could work well.

Flyin, no extra holes! The front bracket that is visible in the photo of the wiring uses one of the c4 diff lock controller mounting bolts. The rear bracket uses two other nuts that are already welded in the frunk (used for rhd cars maybe?). The pump sits on a rubber donut (an original steering rack -to- body rubber piece that I had an extra of). The donut is fairly soft, but I could add another softer layer of foam between it and the frunk floor for a little better sound isolation. I'll get some more photos up of the brackets. I made them easily by bending/cutting/drilling some pieces of aluminum.
The original parts are all pretty easy to remove, except the long steel lines. I had replaced the long fuel lines in the past so I knew what to expect. With some contortions, the long lines will come out. The higher you can get the car off of the floor the better. It would be relatively easy if you have a lift.

Spyerx, the 964 RS inners are the same as the C4. Supposedly stiffer rubber in the forks than the C2. The 993 RS inners are similar to the regular 993, but also supposedly use a stiffer rubber. The 993RSR inners are the spherical ones with no rubber.
The electric pump does remove mechanical drag, but it pulls a lot of amps and I'm sure induces quite a bit of drag from the alternator. I don't think that there is much benefit there.
With the stock bits I'm unsure how you're getting too quick a response? Unless you're just running toe out?

mystert, good hear someone else's feedback on these spherical inners! The original tie rod setup with the "turnbuckle" adjuster is like having an m14x3.0 thread since turning it changes the threads at both ends (one is a reverse thread). The spherical setup has just one threaded end to adjust, so it makes sense that you could get a more accurate toe this way.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by tjb616
Are the ERP inners the same as what Tarett is selling?

EDIT: http://www.tarett.com/items/993-964-...rtr-detail.htm
Yes, and I meant 993RS

Originally Posted by -nick
Spyerx, the 964 RS inners are the same as the C4. Supposedly stiffer rubber in the forks than the C2. The 993 RS inners are similar to the regular 993, but also supposedly use a stiffer rubber. The 993RSR inners are the spherical ones with no rubber.
The electric pump does remove mechanical drag, but it pulls a lot of amps and I'm sure induces quite a bit of drag from the alternator. I don't think that there is much benefit there.
With the stock bits I'm unsure how you're getting too quick a response? Unless you're just running toe out?
Yes, I meant 993 bits. :-)

Assuming you've capped off the pump I'll bet you get less drag with the electric setup.

My car is setup very, very agile, all solid everything, no toe out, but with the setup it's very quick to change direction. K

Too bad you're not in SoCal would be interesting to feel yours relative (and vice versa).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering response/upgrades - all in