Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone installed Recaro CS seats in a 964?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 12:28 PM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 219 Likes on 105 Posts

I have a set that I have no use for.

Originally Posted by 964George
I believe these are what you need, it's what I'll be ordering.
Pic taken from another thread.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:16 PM
Gujuhammer
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the seat belt anchors above.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:25 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by delanobe
Sent you a PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:16 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

So just to check back in with this thread- I recently test fitted a CS and compared it directly to a stock sport seat and one does sit just slightly higher in the CS. Slightly (about a fingers width closer to the headliner) but enough that if I sit in a upright driving position my head will be too close (possibly brushing) the headliner. Needless to say I was disappointed. That said I had used the slide rails/adapters from Recaro. If one were to just use the slide rails directly to the car without the height adapters I think the seat might sit just a bit lower than stock. That means however that the front of the seat will be about the same as if you lowered both adjusters all the way downwards on the stock seat.

My original issue with the stock seats that initiated my search for information on the CS was that the head rest portion of the stock seat hits me between the shoulders= bad posture on long drives. I hated them actually. upon lowering them in the front I was able put the seat at a wider angle and still reach everything well enough which allowed the head rest to clear my shoulders. I added 30mm spacer behind the steering wheel and now I love the stock seats. But the are heavy and they do not do the job on the track.... but all I need to do to go from cruising to spirited mode is lower the front of the seat with no other changes. Good thing because I bought the best pair (low miles) I could find and they were not cheap.

So now I've realized that there are no reclining seats that I can fit well in the car with a helmet on. Going to look at a Sparco Evo QRT large size seat- the only large seat I have been able to find in Japan!

Pete
Old 06-16-2021, 09:01 AM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

Not sure how tall you are, but I’m 6’3 and with Evo IIs mounted as low as I could get them, my helmet still hit the headliner enough to not be drive-able. I had to remove the seat cushion on track, and even then, my helmet would still graze the headliner. Sitting like that made driving awkward and was one of the only things I didn’t like about tracking this car.

However, with Recaro Pole Positions and SPGs, I fit with my helmet just fine. I think I’m able to get a better rake with them, and they drop between the rails better. With the Evo, it was either too leaned or too upright, and too fat bottomed to fit between the rails. Maybe the QRTs are better. I also find the Recaros more comfortable, especially if street driving is mixed in. 🤷‍♂️ I’m going to try SPG XL in the new car and see how they do.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:51 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirenty
Not sure how tall you are, but I’m 6’3 and with Evo IIs mounted as low as I could get them, my helmet still hit the headliner enough to not be drive-able. I had to remove the seat cushion on track, and even then, my helmet would still graze the headliner. Sitting like that made driving awkward and was one of the only things I didn’t like about tracking this car.

However, with Recaro Pole Positions and SPGs, I fit with my helmet just fine. I think I’m able to get a better rake with them, and they drop between the rails better. With the Evo, it was either too leaned or too upright, and too fat bottomed to fit between the rails. Maybe the QRTs are better. I also find the Recaros more comfortable, especially if street driving is mixed in. 🤷‍♂️ I’m going to try SPG XL in the new car and see how they do.
Thats exactly the the kind of info I need right now- thanks! I'm 6'3 as well and around 200lbs. My concern with the PP's is simply fitting my height so its interesting that they work well for you. I'm also considering b6 screamers and Profi XL but not able to try them here unfortunately. Most tall drivers say the PP harness holes are too short- how does that work for you? @Foxman has a similar height and the large B6 screamers seem to work well for him.

For road use I'm still tempted to try the CS right on the body if I can find a reasonably cheap used one- but even the used ones here trade at 2/3 of new. Its one thing if you can check it out first but sight unseen can be a big gamble on seats.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:06 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
Thats exactly the the kind of info I need right now- thanks! I'm 6'3 as well and around 200lbs. My concern with the PP's is simply fitting my height so its interesting that they work well for you. I'm also considering b6 screamers and Profi XL but not able to try them here unfortunately. Most tall drivers say the PP harness holes are too short- how does that work for you? @Foxman has a similar height and the large B6 screamers seem to work well for him.

For road use I'm still tempted to try the CS right on the body if I can find a reasonably cheap used one- but even the used ones here trade at 2/3 of new. Its one thing if you can check it out first but sight unseen can be a big gamble on seats.
Right, the PP holes are too low for me to use with harnesses. I only use three points with them. For something like autocross, 3 point is fine and there is still plenty of lateral support.

Profi/SPG XL works for harnesses. SPG normal also worked, but it’s tight on me and squeezes my legs together too much. The reason I’m interested in the XL is I believe it has the same internal dimensions as the PPs, which are really comfortable and supportive, but with harness holes that work for me.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:37 AM
ModQuench
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by delanobe
Sent you a PM, I'd like to buy these off you

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed Recaro CS seats in a 964?