Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impact of mileage on value

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017 | 04:25 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HyperMike
Thank you for your post...it made me realize that my original question wasn't worded quite the way I meant!
That's what I thought you were getting at. Just wanted you to know a car with this mileage can still be really solid.

Let's say, hypothetically I buy the car with 160K miles with effectively a new motor, updated suspension and really good overall condition at a "market appropriate" price taking into consideration it's miles AND condition. Let's then say that 3 years and 20K miles later the market for 964's in general has moved upwards. Is it reasonable to expect that my car would move upwards with the market (assuming I've given it appropriate care and feeding and it's still in great condition) or would the mere fact of 180K miles mean it stays flat or drops in value relative to what I paid for it?
So what else would you buy that would guarantee such low depreciation?

Even if all the hype starts going to the 996, the 964 has at least been recognized as a "decent" car and should continue to hold steady.

If you, a 964 novice is interested in a car with 160,000, why wouldn't it still sell with just a little more mileage on it. There's a buyer @ 50k, 100k, 15k and 200+k. Someone will always want one of these cars.

I'm not into 50K mile cars with lots of old stock parts. Too soft and flabby. These cars shouldn't sit, and "low mileage-original" means worn shift linkages, sagging motor mounts, and stock suspension... all at a very proud price. There's a whole group of buyers who don't mind miles if the service and upgrades have been done.
Old 09-28-2017 | 06:37 PM
walbum
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
That's what I thought you were getting at. Just wanted you to know a car with this mileage can still be really solid.

So what else would you buy that would guarantee such low depreciation?

These cars shouldn't sit, and "low mileage-original" means worn shift linkages, sagging motor mounts, and stock suspension... all at a very proud price. There's a whole group of buyers who don't mind miles if the service and upgrades have been done.
Agreed. These cars seem to do much better if driven and maintained. I've seen many gorgeous low mileage cars that end up requiring major service due to prolonged inactivity.

This looks like fair price for a good solid car. It should be driven and enjoyed without concern that adding miles will decrease value.

Quick Reply: Impact of mileage on value