Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to replace the cat on 92 C2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 03:40 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cjoenck
Just to manage expectations. If the cat has not come out in a while and you don't live in Arizona, chances are the bolts are a solid rusty mess. I soaked them overnight but still broke two and had to grind the other two out. The speednuts are notoriously hard and I had to grind most of them out to get the heat shields off. Good news is that the Fabspeed cat does not need the heat shields - I believe - as the 100 cell cat will not get as hot as the OEM cat.
So all great advice above. Just prepare yourself for possibly some brute force "solution". You always wanted a grinder anyway, right?
My local shop just did a complete engine reseal on the car about two weeks ago. The engine was dropped. So I'm thinking that the cat was removed or at least from the heat exchanger so the bolts might be loosened up a bit. My only concern with this job is the shield. I'm wondering if they had to remove that to drop the engine. Never really noticed. Like you said I've read that the speednuts are pain in the rear. I ordered the 200 cell sport cat. Tried getting a hold of Jason over at Fabspeed but he's a little phone shy. Doesn't like returning calls or coming to the phone. I tried to get a definitive answer on the cat needing the shield or not. The person that helped me wasn't sure or even if the cat comes with brackets wielded to it for the shield. So one last question. Is the shield attached to the cat or car? Or both? Anyways was gonna take it to my shop to put on but they are to busy to take the car this week and I want to be in it this weekend. Can't wait. We'll see how it goes.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:33 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

The heat shields are attached to the cat, not the car. There is a separate heat shield between the cat assembly and the engine but that does not have to touched to remove the cat.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:58 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cjoenck
The heat shields are attached to the cat, not the car. There is a separate heat shield between the cat assembly and the engine but that does not have to touched to remove the cat.

Ok great. Thanks
Old 09-20-2017, 09:17 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

So the cat came in today. No brackets attached for heat shield sooo I guess no shield? Wonder if it's going to be ok without it.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2017, 09:54 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by melman911
So the cat came in today. No brackets attached for heat shield sooo I guess no shield? Wonder if it's going to be ok without it.
Fabspeed think not! I did have their mufflers on my (now sold) 993 which dispensed with the heat shields and I had no issues. However I am unsure about the cat on 964. I tided all mine up when I did my valve settings.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2017, 10:52 AM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spokes
Fabspeed think not! I did have their mufflers on my (now sold) 993 which dispensed with the heat shields and I had no issues. However I am unsure about the cat on 964. I tided all mine up when I did my valve settings.

Thanks man. Talk to Jason today at Fabspeed. Told me no issues without the heat shields.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to replace the cat on 92 C2?