Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exterior Lens/Plastic Pieces...........

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 06:51 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Exterior Lens/Plastic Pieces...........

Hey. I apologize in advance. I ran a search and spent maybe 30 minutes going through old threads before posting this. I'll get better as I'm more familiar with the site.

What is a good source for all the exterior lens? Though faded, mine do not look terrible, but I bet new would look more betterer and lord knows new gaskets are never a negative situation.

My 964 and a US spec'd model. Are these still available as factory pieces or no longer available?

Thanks for your help and suggestion.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Many of the parts are still available through various sources including Pelican Parts, Suncoast Porsche, Sunset Porsche and a few others. I would shop around for the parts, prices are not consistently better with any one supplier. For example I recently purchased new OE Porsche mats and found the price at Suncoast was $40 less than Pelican but Pelican had better prices on the smaller parts and pieces and their website is easier to navigate for the smaller parts.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:53 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The three rear lenses will set you back a pretty good chunk of change, probably $700-$900 Member "Gus" makes a clear vinyl overlay kit for the rear lenses that's a great deal.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:02 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Many of the parts are still available through various sources including Pelican Parts, Suncoast Porsche, Sunset Porsche and a few others. I would shop around for the parts, prices are not consistently better with any one supplier. For example I recently purchased new OE Porsche mats and found the price at Suncoast was $40 less than Pelican but Pelican had better prices on the smaller parts and pieces and their website is easier to navigate for the smaller parts.
Right now Suncoast prices are lower than Pelican for these parts.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

There's also an option to re-skin the outer turn signal lenses. I've done that but I can say that nothing is as easy and beautiful as a new set of Porsche lenses. They take years off the car and the next owner will pay more for a car with those fitted.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
There's also an option to re-skin the outer turn signal lenses. I've done that but I can say that nothing is as easy and beautiful as a new set of Porsche lenses. They take years off the car and the next owner will pay more for a car with those fitted.
I agree, new lenses in the rear and polishing the front amber lenses have a huge impact on the overall appearance of older Porsche's.

Since we are discussing lenses, does anyone know if there's a market for the used lenses if they aren't cracked/scratched and only faded?

I was thinking of changing out my rear center lense which is the only lense the previous owner didn't replace and maybe offset some cost by selling the old lense.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:44 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 82 Posts

I appreciate the comments.

I wonder if anyone has ever applied a fitted PORSCHE decal over the word Porsche on the rear lens?

Follow what I'm saying?
Old 09-09-2017, 01:40 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Well after 27 years the lenses on my 90 were a bit faded (pink). New lenses are a good $1,000+. The red tint film from Gus was $55. I went with the film and me lenses look MUCH better.

Another option that I am going to look at is painting the lenses with a red translucent plastic paint. But before I do that I want to experiment on some junk yard lenses.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:30 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I used red Krylon Stained Glass Paint on a badly faded set and then clear coated them. They lasted me another 6 Australian summers. They now need to be sanded and redone. I can't justify a new set as these are still in good condition, just faded.

Neil

Quick Reply: Exterior Lens/Plastic Pieces...........