Sponsored by:

oops what have I done?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 10:19 AM
dove
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oops what have I done?

I took the car out today,dumped the clutch at the lights clutch drags no wheelspin them i'm off,then theres a foul burning smell,clutch or flywheel ??please help. I have also noticed judering on hard acceleration since I did this. boo hoo

Paul
C2 cab
Old 12-06-2003, 10:51 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does sound like you may have killed your clutch. The subject has come up a few times before, and the verdict is basically that if you dump the clutch on these cars you will simply destroy it. 3K rpm seems to be the recommended way to pull away quickly.

I know how you feel though. I dumped my clutch a few months ago - mine didn't bog down, but the car was pulling away pretty slowly with the revs quite happily sitting at about 6K rpm. Clutch was obviously slipping, but hasn't done it since (although I haven't repeated that behaviour since either!).
Old 12-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've did the same a couple of weeks ago on a track - smoke everywhere and a nasty smell. The smell is just starting to fade and the clutch is still working fine, which I'm glad about

If you do have to replace the clutch, go for an uprated item, because this is a common problem. Or drive more carefully

Cheers
Old 12-06-2003, 02:02 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe its that Heavyweight bodyshell Paul probably causing drag as you pulled away

Kevin
Old 12-06-2003, 02:20 PM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by Phil Raby
I've did the same a couple of weeks ago on a track - smoke everywhere and a nasty smell. The smell is just starting to fade and the clutch is still working fine, which I'm glad about

If you do have to replace the clutch, go for an uprated item, because this is a common problem. Or drive more carefully

Cheers
Thanks for the reply guys,The clutch is indeed working fine so I think I got away with it this time, wont be dropping the clutch that quickly again though.Any ideas guys about the judders at hard acceleration guys,it kind of feels like a warped wheel but its not, if that makes any sense!!
Paul
C2 cab
Old 12-06-2003, 02:22 PM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by warmfuzzies
Maybe its that Heavyweight bodyshell Paul probably causing drag as you pulled away

Kevin
Thanks for that Kev,I really didnt have you down for a p**s taker! .

Paul
C2 cab
Old 12-06-2003, 02:44 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are we talking 'slipping clutch' judder, or hesitant acceleration, Paul?

Last edited by John Boggiano; 12-06-2003 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:51 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you may have glazed the clutch disk a bit, which certainly heated up the PP/Flywheel enough to warp it or leave residue on the friction surfaces.

Drive it awhile to see if the "juddering" subsides...if not, it's clutchtime!
Old 12-06-2003, 03:04 PM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by Jeff Curtis
Sounds like you may have glazed the clutch disk a bit, which certainly heated up the PP/Flywheel enough to warp it or leave residue on the friction surfaces.

Drive it awhile to see if the "juddering" subsides...if not, it's clutchtime!
Thanks for your advice Jeff,does that mean the the flywheels ok?could I in anyway have damaged it?
Old 12-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Paul,
Yes it is quite possible. It depends upon the flywheel you have fitted and obviously its condition. If it is the original it is very easy to push them over the top. Only time will tell but if the juddering keeps up you will have to drop engine and transmission to find out.
You may be lucky but one rarely gets away unscathed from such things and the main issue is when might it fail. My 944 did me in not that long ago.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 12-06-2003, 05:06 PM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by John Boggiano
Are we talking 'slipping clutch' judder, or hesitant acceleration, Paul?
Hi John, Niether, a vibration is proberly a better word high in the rev range coming from the rear when I accelerate really hard.Pulling away from a stop theres no prob with the clutch,no clutch slip no judder,when I accelerate at low mid revs its still ok,so the clutch is fully released when I get this vibration,could this still be the flywheel??
Paul
C2 cab
Old 12-06-2003, 07:12 PM
Rich W
Addict
Rennlist Member

You've found that Porsches are not designed to be launched they way American muscle cars are launched.

Want a quick launch? Hold revs at 6k, then simultaneously release the accelerator and clutch. When the clutch grabs, apply the accelerator and sprint away.

Be forewarned - it takes practice to get it right.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:36 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay, now we're talkin' here.

Sounds like you have a CV joint gone South or loose allen bolts, probably inboard (the transmission end).

A high-end vibration can be all kinds of things...first, check your wheel weights. Is there a nice "clean" rectangle on the wheel before you wash them?? ...check the inside as well.

You may have "chucked" a weight during your dragster-style launch.

BUT, the description of your muscle-car escapade alluded to a slipping clutch, so back to my original diagnosis.

Rich is right, he knows about quick launches!

Ask him who installed the "lightweight magic" in his rocket.

Let's clarify what issues you're having...if it's a high-end vibration, possibly the flywheel is separating?? ...I dunno, I got rid of my Freudenburgh P.O.S. the 2nd day I owned my 964 - and not by choice either!

Check for missing wheel weights, CV/stub axle flange bolts, imperfections in your tires, missing teeth from your ring gear - DOH!!

Vibrations are always difficult to "cyber-diagnose" - but hey, we can try!??
Old 12-07-2003, 05:18 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the foul burning smell is obviously clutch related, I've had it a couple of times, I believe the clutch centre might have a rubber component? Adrian?.
If the car can pull away in a high gear without judder then the clutch is likely to be ok.
Has a test for DMF been suggested before, such as keeping the car in gear and rocking the car backwards/forwards. I think Colin B suggested it through Smart Groups.

Kevin.

(not really a p155 taker) ;-)))))
Old 12-07-2003, 07:06 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Kevin,
Only the 89C4 has a rubber centred clutch plate. The DMF clutch plates are known as solid centre clutches. They do not need damping because that is what the flywheel is supposed to do.
This is why when people ask about lightweight clutch plates for DMF equipped 964s I always say, if somebody is offering you a lightweight clutch plate for improved performance they are ripping you off because you already have one. What Porsche did for the Carrera RS touring clutch plate was to bond the clutch plate liner instead of rivetting it. This saved I believe about 2 gramms.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

Quick Reply: oops what have I done?