964 cabrio RSD change for regular seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:18 PM
Grze Lu
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 cabrio RSD change for regular seats

Dear all,

I have bought a 1992 964 Convertible that is on the way from US to Poland. The car is with RSD (rear seat delete) as shown on photos. I want to drive my kids with me, so I need to transform it to proper rear seat (including seat belts).

I have searched the forum. Lot of treads 😊
I saw how it can be done in different way in 993, I have read if the seats form 964 will fit (actually will not) to 993, and various offers of people interested to buy RSD. I have read that some people say it needs welding, some dont, some say the seat framework for a cab is a single unit with the seat belts integrated into the frame. Some say it is a problem becouse mounting for the seats for targa or coupe are different than for cabrio. At the end as I understand, it can be done, although no one has shown it step by step with 964 cabrio.

I would like to ask you for help with listing all the parts that should be bought to do it. Maybe someone went for RSD and can read the parts numbers from what is left on the shelve?
maybe someone would like to sell the whole set of black cabriolet back seats (seats, pivots, brackets, seat belts, back wall lining) or exchange for RSD?
I will appreciate every help.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:06 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

993 cabrio rear seats have a 3-point seat belt. I believe that the sheet metal and attachments are different from the 964 tubs. If you are wanting to install 3-point rear belts, then you're likely in for a lot of work.

I would imagine that all 964s came with the welded nuts for the 2-point rear seat lapbelts. On an original rsd car, they are probably covered with tape, and then covered by the standard soundproofing mat and carpet.

I don't know what the differences are, if any, between the 964 cabrio and coupe rear seats.

Hope that helps a bit. Best of luck!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:54 PM
kazik_911
1st Gear

click here and call

http://www.classicporsche.pl/main.php

greetings from Warsaw
Old 08-16-2017, 06:05 PM
salty87
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

It appears the 3 point belts used in a 993 cabrio prevented a seat design that allowed the seat backs to be folded down. In a 993 the boot cover can be tucked behind the seats. There isn't enough space to tuck the boot cover behind the 993 seats when installed in a 964. This means the boot cover will interfere with the shoulder portion of the belts when it's used. As a person sits back and presses the exposed boot cover against the seat back the belt is caught between the seat and the boot cover and not over the person's shoulder. Rather defeats the purpose of 3 point belts but if you're not using the boot cover everything works fine.

If the above isn't a concern to you I'd be glad to get rid of some non-folding black 993 back seats. Shipping won't be fun and they're currently installed so I'd need a chance to remove them.

Seems the other alternative is 964 seats with lap belts. Some earlier year cabrio seats will fit but I'm not sure of the exact years. Took a couple months for some from an 87 cabrio to popup. They should fit but I can't say for sure yet.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:00 PM
Grze Lu
8th Gear

Gentlemen thank you for your replies,

- nick - I would like to avoid welding metal attachements. When the car will arrive to my place, I will check what is sitting under the mat and carpet and probably stay with 2-point rear seat lapbelts

- kazik_911 - zadzwonie w takim razie do Kacpra

- salty87 - Your comment about the colision of boot cover and 3-point seat belt is very helpful. It convince me that there is no sense in the three-point fasteners in 964. I would like to exchange for the rear seats but unfortunately in 964 they were stylistically different than the 993. I will try to look for the whole set.

In that case, I will search further for back seats dedicated to the 964 cabrio, maybe someone else in this thread will reply.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:11 AM
Jon Hansen
Advanced

My 92 cab had the RSD which I removed to install rear seats. I ended up just installing a set of lap belts and a set of seat bottoms that I didn't even glue down. Without the seat backs the rear passengers have lots more room.
The kids don't know the difference and most trips are very short with people in back. (Ice cream, etc,)
I carpeted the whole rear area with App Biz Sliverknit, so sometimes they just sit back there without the seat bottoms too. Works great and you can pop the RSD back in you want to.
There was also some lock wiring I tucked up behind the rear parcel shelf panel to clean things up.

Last edited by Jon Hansen; 08-19-2017 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Add
Old 08-21-2017, 05:02 AM
Grze Lu
8th Gear

- Jon, thanks for your comment. Not placing the rear seats is an interesting idea. I have reviewed the appbiz offer and see the set only for the coupe.

http://appbiz.com/1965-1968coupecarp...3-2-1-1-1.aspx

Is it the one you have installed? did it fit correctly the convertible?
Old 08-21-2017, 11:39 PM
Jon Hansen
Advanced

I don't recall honestly. I had the Linen carpeting which I hated due to showing dirt too easily. I swapped out completely (except RSD) to the black Sliverknit from Appbiz. I think I got the RSA kit to start with, but their kit was missing some pieces. Once they realized the kit was incomplete, they quickly cut and bound what I needed. They (Bob) are VERY easy to do business with. I'm sure you could just make some templates for the pieces you want, and they will produce the panels.
I just masked off and spray glued the pieces down permanently with Weldwood Contact Adhesive (recommended). If you want to frog around with the seat bottoms, just lay them in place and let the kids sit on them.
I could take a few pictures if you need further visualization.
Once you get your car, remove the RSD and you will see what you need, if anything. It's already carpeted under the RSD. I think they did a sloppy glue job however as they knew the RSD would cover their work. The rear seat belt bolt down weld nuts will be there already, so just poke around until you find them to install lap belts. Coupe belts of almost any year will work fine. You may or may not have the welded central seat back pivot bracket too. Very early 92 cars will have it, later 92 cars won't. The bracket is easily removed with a chisel if you find it to be in your way.

Last edited by Jon Hansen; 08-22-2017 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Add
Old 08-23-2017, 07:26 AM
Grze Lu
8th Gear

Thanks Jon! that is a lot of useful information. The car came today, I will check the details you write about and come back with some decisions done
Old 08-25-2017, 10:53 PM
Jon Hansen
Advanced

Default Here is my back area.

Here is my back area.
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2017, 01:57 PM
Grze Lu
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Jon Hansen
Here is my back area.
Very nice! Hope to finish the same as yours.
I found out that the left arm of the roof is broken so I have bigger issue to take care of next days. Its a pitty the seler didnt mension anything about it

Quick Reply: 964 cabrio RSD change for regular seats