Sponsored by:

Windscreen replacement - no sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:09 AM
Scamper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepaa
scamper, I am curious how they removed the old windshield without cutting the rubber.

I cut the rubber awy to lift off my old glass intact.

Steve - I suppose there are two different methods
1. Keeping the screen intact but damaging the rubber
2. Breaking the screen on removal and saving the rubber

As my screen was cracked beyond repair the Autoglass technician just forced the the screen out, starting from the top. I saw the old screen - it was still in one piece but it was severely damaged in many places at the end of the process. The rubber just slips off when its out of the car.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:02 PM
polar964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can you tell whether its the original screen ?. Mine would appear to have been in for a long time, solely by its condition (thousands of micro-scopic specs from 14 years of air-borne missile's!) How can you tell whether its a sigla screen?

Paul
'93 C2 Polar Silver
Old 09-23-2007, 07:24 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

I watched the W/S replacement take place in my '90 C2. I'm cetain that the WS was original (even had the airbag warning decal above the rear view mirror). It was sealed from the factory. The replacement was sealed between the rubber seal and the body. Additional attention & sealing took place where the antenna lead is routed through the rubber seal. There was no rust or damage to the finish. No mechanical cutter was used, and the paint was intact (no primer needed or used) during the installation. I have to agree with Adrian......this is the method used at the factory, and recommened in the related documentation. Take short cuts - or do it right. What would Ferry do?

Quick Reply: Windscreen replacement - no sealant?