Distributor vent kit not installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:33 AM
adamfogerty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor vent kit not installed

Hi all,

It looks like I've managed to buy the only 964 without the distributor vent kit installed. Can someone please confirm?

I'm a bit confused as to how it's escaped having this done with over 100,000 miles on the clock and a complete service history, some of which has been from Official Porsche Centres. Very strange! Can anyone suggest why this might not have been done?

As Porsche effectively admitted this was a design flaw when they issued the technical bullitin for the fix, do you think there's any chance of me strolling into an OPC today and having them fix it for free?!? Did they fix it for free 'back in the day'? Or only for cars under warrenty?

Does anyone have a copy of the technical bullitin?

Many thanks,

Adam
Old 08-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Scamper
Instructor

No its not fitted.

Its a ten minute job and the kit is about £6-8!!

When I got mine it didnt have the kit fitted, it was supplied with the car as the PO had bought the kit but never got round to fitting it. So that was my first job.

I need to check the dizzy belt itself just to be sure its ok, but thats a wet weather weekend job......

Ade
Old 08-29-2007, 09:08 AM
993TurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 113 Posts

Could someone post a pic similar to Adam's of a 964 with the kit fitted? I just want to make sure I'm all set. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:32 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by 993TurboS
Could someone post a pic similar to Adam's of a 964 with the kit fitted? I just want to make sure I'm all set. Thanks.
it's the new white tube...
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2007, 09:59 AM
luke-44
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

Hmmmm.....I think I may have the second car without this fix.

I am a 1 week owner just getting familiar with what I bought. Where is the best source to buy the parts - does someone like Pelican offer this? Is there any supplier the community here suggests we support?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Mine didnt have one on it either, so dont feel alone...

I replaced the distr. belt when I added the vent kit - the original belt was in rough shape, frayed and rubber cracking.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:10 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by luke-44
Hmmmm.....I think I may have the second car without this fix.

I am a 1 week owner just getting familiar with what I bought. Where is the best source to buy the parts - does someone like Pelican offer this? Is there any supplier the community here suggests we support?
Many of us bought our cars without the fix. The good thing is it only takes about 10 minutes to add it and the kit only costs about $10. On the downside, if your car has been run without the vent kit and never had the distributor belt changed, you shoud look into doing that. That's a tougher job, but the belt only costs about $10 if you have the skill to change it. Otherwise it'll cost you about $200 to have it done.

Yes you can buy either from Pelican or any of the other usual suspects - Sunset, Vertex, etc...

Regards,

Steve
Old 08-29-2007, 04:20 PM
ormy
Advanced

Hi Adam,

PM me your address and I'll Royal Mail you the spare I have if you want it. I bought one the day after I got my car only to discover that it already had one. I didn't see it initially because it had been knocked loose when the seller replaced the belt tensioner.

John
Old 08-29-2007, 07:13 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by ormy
Hi Adam,

PM me your address and I'll Royal Mail you the spare I have if you want it. I bought one the day after I got my car only to discover that it already had one. I didn't see it initially because it had been knocked loose when the seller replaced the belt tensioner.

John
John,

You da man!

Steve
Old 08-30-2007, 12:43 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

My car had 39K miles on it with no vent kit. I put it in and the belt broke at 42K miles. I would say that your belt is toast at 100K miles. Change It if you have no records of it being done !
Old 08-30-2007, 02:19 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by pete000
My car had 39K miles on it with no vent kit. I put it in and the belt broke at 42K miles. I would say that your belt is toast at 100K miles. Change It if you have no records of it being done !
+1

My belt at 44k miles with no vent kit was frayed and ready to go.

Steve
Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 AM
adamfogerty
Instructor

Originally Posted by ormy
Hi Adam,

John
Hi John,

Many thanks - The kit arrived today

Is it easy to fit?

what's the best way of punching a hole in the cooler outlet (not sure of the correct name)?

how does the other end connect to the distributor?

Which distributor does it connect to?

Many thanks,

Adam
Old 08-31-2007, 02:11 PM
ormy
Advanced

Hi Adam,

I'm glad it all arrived OK.

check out http://www.porsche964.co.uk/technica...r_vent_kit.htm

Sound like a simple enough install. There is a cover on the upper distributor which clips out. Into this plugs the rigid plastic grommet. The rubber grommet is installed in the black airduct (after drilling a hole)

You'll probably want to take a close look at your distributor belt to check on the condition.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:13 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Seems a lot of cars missed the vent kit update. I just got my '89, C4 with 48,000 on the clock and it was ventless, too.

Got a kit from Pelican for about $10 that arrived yesterday withy no instructions, but with garrett376's great picture, I can see the proper routing. It was obvious where the parts go after looking at the distributor, but I just wasn't sure which distributor housing it went in or if the air horn location was critical.

Should be an easy update.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:23 PM
foxford
Rennlist Member

I also had to add the kit on my '91. I used the alternate hose attachment method shown here.

The distributor hose goes into a T-connector spliced into the Rear Tail Light vent hose.
This was a way suggested in http://www.porsche964.co.uk/technica...r_vent_kit.htm
to avoid drilling into the black plastic air pipe.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Distributor vent kit not installed