Sponsored by:

Momo horn parts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 05:55 AM
Porkydaz
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Momo horn parts?

Hello guys, I have a 964 C4 1991. My first Porsche!
I've bought a momo wheel and fitting kit but need the correct part to allow the horn to work. Can you tell me where to find this please?
Cheers Darren
Btw it is fitted with airbags and I have managed to remove the old wheel safely 👍
Old 07-27-2017, 10:05 AM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats on the car! I have a '91 as well, but a C2. You will love it!

It sounds like you have the wheel and the hub adapter? For the horn to work, you need the steering wheel contact plate, part number 96465210400. You can pick this up from quite a few places, for example, Pelican carries it for $9.75 (obligatory no affiliation disclaimer).

You may already have all of this figured out, but I will share a few things I learned swapping my wheel, if that is OK?

You will also need to trick the car into thinking the airbag is still present. Most people seem to use the Porsche Airbag Tester unit or a bridge plug to solve this problem, but a much more cost-effective method is to use a 2.7 Ohm 1/4 Watt resistor and simply stick the leads into the airbag unit plugs, then wrap with electrical tape. Here's a picture of mine that I posted to another user's thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post13673972

I don't know which Momo wheel you have gone with (I chose the Prototipo), but after about six months of use, I began to notice a really annoying scraping noise whenever I turned the wheel. It seems that the horn contact plate (part number above) was receiving too much pressure from the hub adapter. I solved this in two ways: First, I applied a white lithium grease to the back of the hub to lubricate, and second, the turn signal assembly can be adjusted backwards towards the dash by loosening a 10 mm nut on the underside of the shaft. It doesn't need to be moved back very far - in fact too far and the horn contact plate will not make sufficient contact with the hub adapter to sound the horn, and it will become very difficult to put the plastic collars back on. I found there is a sweet spot where I can slide it back just to the point where the horn still works. You may or may not need to do these, but I couldn't stand the scraping sound!

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2017, 02:01 PM
Porkydaz
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers for the great info!

Yes I can't wait to get her back from the body shop, the paint needed redoing.
That's a neat and cheap idea for the airbag 👍
Thanks for the fine tune hints too!

Quick Reply: Momo horn parts?