Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

alignment questions can you please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 08:34 PM
lsejnoha
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default alignment questions can you please help

So I have some alignment questions. The other day i put control arms and a set of new tie rods on my 951. My question is can a really bad alignment make the steering shake at high speeds, I know its a silly question and i am assuming yes. But I am curious about the caster blocks that i have on there right now and i am wondering if i have the correct caster blocks on my vehicle. Im pretty sure that i am using the caster blocks that originally came with the car when i got it three years ago and it drove fine for a long time, but they are not in the best condition and one of them the rubber has become completely separated from the block housing but still holds in there when i put the bolts back in. My main question is that my car was rock solid before i put these other control arms and tie rods on. I dont really think that the ball joints are that bad and i dont think the play is coming from the control arms. The tie rods are brand new with new inner and outer ball joints. But the cars steering shakes at high speeds as if something is out of alignment. i am going to put some different tires on the car and also have the tires re balanced to try to eliminate any issues that the wheels could possibly have mainly unbalanced tires. But my overall theory is that because i have taken the whole front of this car apart without ever having the alignment done is my issue. I have replaced the front struts, pulled off the steering rack, put different control arms on three or four times and also now recently replaced the tie rods. i think i drive the car hard and it needs an alignment but im just not sure why the steering wheel shakes after 50 or 60 miles an hour. this just started happening recently but i am concerned because the handling of this car is what makes it so beautiful and fun to drive and it usually feels perfect. so i am hoping that its just an alignment issue and it can be fixed. But i also dont want to take it to the dealership here in town because they charge a whopping $200 dollars for an alignment just because its a Porsche and it supposedly needs special attention. Do you guys have any recommendations or should i just take it to Porsche. im just so sensitive on how the car handles... thanks everyone.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

There is no doubt about it, you need an alignment after all of that work. Spend that money long before having your wheels re-balanced.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:29 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, alignment first then look at other areas. Any competent shop that does alignments can align a 944; no reason to go to a dealership.

Maybe before the alignment, check your tire pressures, then get an alignment. I use to have a front tire that had an extremely slow leak, and my steering wheel would shake at about those same speeds as a reminder that it was time to add air.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:11 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

First off fit the 968 castor mounts, then have an alignment done by a shop that also understands how to set up the 944 rear. Any shop can set up the front but the rear can be a fiddle and really needs the (cheap) special tool.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:04 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
First off fit the 968 castor mounts, then have an alignment done by a shop that also understands how to set up the 944 rear. Any shop can set up the front but the rear can be a fiddle and really needs the (cheap) special tool.
The special tool is definitely needed and you need to go to a decent alignment place. Preferably one that is familiar with 911 or 944 rear camber/toe alignment. It is not too difficult but tech needs to understand the the sequence of adjustment is ride height, then camber, then toe.

Tool part number is 72191710 and when I last bought one ex Porsche Dealer it was less then $15.

See below extract from workshop manual for rear alignment and OEM specs.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:09 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Make sure your frame rails are still strait. I have had two 951's with a bent front subframe and it's hard to see any damage when all the parts are installed. And as everyone mentioned Yes you'll need an alignment after all those parts that you replaced.

Quick Reply: alignment questions can you please help