Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tial rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 04:10 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tial rattle

I've got a 38mm tial, and there is a rattle inside of it when I bang on exhaust or at certain rpms it's annoying. Anyone else have a rattling tial?
Old 05-09-2017, 01:58 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Tial can rattle against the torque tube at certain RPMs. You need to loosen the exhaust at the next upstream and downstream connection points relative to the Tial. Use a long screwdriver to lever the Tial as far from the torque tube as you can, then re-tighten.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
The Tial can rattle against the torque tube at certain RPMs. You need to loosen the exhaust at the next upstream and downstream connection points relative to the Tial. Use a long screwdriver to lever the Tial as far from the torque tube as you can, then re-tighten.
That was my thought too, and depending on how it's oriented it can also hit the body wall in the tunnel. If you really think it's inside, those wastegates disassemble for inspection and rebuilding pretty easily.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:33 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

It doesn't seem to be touching the TT or anything else. Ill just have to remove it and disassemble it. Don't really know what could be rattling in there, I've taken it apart once before not much in there.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:04 PM
Wojo7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any resolution to the rattle? My Tial is doing the same thing, if I bang on it with a rubber mallet it makes a buzzing type rattle, when driving I hear it at around 2400 rpm
Old 06-07-2018, 12:44 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

I never figure it out. I have a mid rpm exhaust rattle, don't know if its the wastegate, something else with the exhaust, or just because I have 4" exhaust with a 5" tip and it creates such low exhaust note it vibrates. Maybe the tial rattle has to do with the size of spring in it.

Quick Reply: Tial rattle