Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Off boost stumble

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 11:30 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Off boost stumble

Car stumbles after it is up to normal operating temperature. I can be cruising or accelerating lightly when it happens. Under hard boost in never does this.

The AFR goes rich (~11.1) just prior to and after this condition. I am thinking TPS.

What do you guys think?

89 951
2.83 Hybrid Stroker
M Tune (Earlier version)
Old 05-04-2018, 12:50 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fejjj
Car stumbles after it is up to normal operating temperature. I can be cruising or accelerating lightly when it happens. Under hard boost in never does this.

The AFR goes rich (~11.1) just prior to and after this condition. I am thinking TPS.

What do you guys think?

89 951
2.83 Hybrid Stroker
M Tune (Earlier version)
Have you tried driving with the TPS disconnected?
Old 05-04-2018, 07:25 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by divil
Have you tried driving with the TPS disconnected?
No but good idea!
Old 05-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Not a good idea to disconnect the tps and drive. It's one of the five main sensors to make an engine run. I would look into your tps Idle switch or your FPR for a start. Also your potentiometer part of your tps may be going bad and you may just need a new tps altogether. And seeing how it happens in cruise where your tps usually sets at while cruising I would think that the tps would be the issue. 30+ years of the tps sweeping back and forth and setting at the cruise location for most of its life that would be a high probability that it's wore out. You can test it with an analog ohm meter not a digital meter.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F391844555430
Old 05-04-2018, 09:40 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Not a good idea to disconnect the tps and drive. It's one of the five main sensors to make an engine run. I would look into your tps Idle switch or your FPR for a start. Also your potentiometer part of your tps may be going bad and you may just need a new tps altogether. And seeing how it happens in cruise where your tps usually sets at while cruising I would think that the tps would be the issue. 30+ years of the tps sweeping back and forth and setting at the cruise location for most of its life that would be a high probability that it's wore out. You can test it with an analog ohm meter not a digital meter.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F391844555430
What harm will disconnecting the TPS cause?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:40 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Does it happen consistently or just once in a while? If you can induce it, take a video. You say it goes rich before and after -- how about during? And do you have any logging ability? If the TPS pot is lying to the KLR, you car could be running off WOT maps, which would send it rich. Ever have a bad idle? Bad temp sensor or harness might be adding too much fuel for the motor to burn until you floor it. Scratchy AFM is possible too. FPR good? Injectors clean? Cracked solder joints in DME or KLR always possible. O2 sensor could be going full rich. Bottom line, could be lots of things...the more info you supply the more likely we'll help you figure it out.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:01 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Does it happen consistently or just once in a while? If you can induce it, take a video. You say it goes rich before and after -- how about during? And do you have any logging ability? If the TPS pot is lying to the KLR, you car could be running off WOT maps, which would send it rich. Ever have a bad idle? Bad temp sensor or harness might be adding too much fuel for the motor to burn until you floor it. Scratchy AFM is possible too. FPR good? Injectors clean? Cracked solder joints in DME or KLR always possible. O2 sensor could be going full rich. Bottom line, could be lots of things...the more info you supply the more likely we'll help you figure it out.
Only happens when engine is fully warmed up. It is rich during stumble as well. It does not happen all the time but once it starts doing it, it will do it multiple times during that particular drive.
Idle surges between 950-1000 (always has even with reseal of throttle body and new ISV). I can’t log right now as my netbook is acting up but I may load the software on my Son’s laptop. I have a M Tune with Rogue DME. Replaced o2 sensor last fall. Injectors were sent to Witchhunter 1.5 years ago. FPR is good. The TPS was replaced 5 years ago and I have another known good one being sent to me.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:01 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unplug your O2 sensor which will put you in open loop and drive around. Does it still stumble?
Old 05-04-2018, 11:46 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
Unplug your O2 sensor which will put you in open loop and drive around. Does it still stumble?
The o2 sensor was replaced last fall.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:22 AM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If you have an older version of the M-tune you may have a small pressure/vacuum leak after the MAF sensor due to cracks or deformation of the original plastic M-tune intake pipe. I had a similar stumble during acceleration with my M-Tune, and it turned out that the issue was with the M-tune plastic pipe leaking air. I replaced the plastic pipe with the LR aluminum M-tune pipe and problem solved.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:48 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bw993
If you have an older version of the M-tune you may have a small pressure/vacuum leak after the MAF sensor due to cracks or deformation of the original plastic M-tune intake pipe. I had a similar stumble during acceleration with my M-Tune, and it turned out that the issue was with the M-tune plastic pipe leaking air. I replaced the plastic pipe with the LR aluminum M-tune pipe and problem solved.
Thanks I will check that. The stumble will happen under VERY light acceleration or just cruising and usually shows up between 2500-3000 RPM.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:34 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The o2 sensor was replaced last fall.
That's not the point - if you unplug it, your car goes into open loop, which is the mode your car runs in while it is warming up. If you have no stumble after doing this, you can eliminate every sensor and component that runs in open loop. If it does stumble, you can focus on only the things in open loop.

This is how you eliminate a whole bunch of suspects in a hurry. Else we can randomly ask you if you think it is this or that.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:11 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
That's not the point - if you unplug it, your car goes into open loop, which is the mode your car runs in while it is warming up. If you have no stumble after doing this, you can eliminate every sensor and component that runs in open loop. If it does stumble, you can focus on only the things in open loop.

This is how you eliminate a whole bunch of suspects in a hurry. Else we can randomly ask you if you think it is this or that.
Which components would this eliminate if the stumble is still there?
Old 05-06-2018, 06:21 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by divil
Which components would this eliminate if the stumble is still there?
Which sensors and components only run in open loop?
Old 05-06-2018, 06:27 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Which sensors and components only run in open loop?
I don't know I was under the impression that the only difference in sensors etc. is that the O2 sensor is not used in open loop. I thought everything else was used in both open and closed.

Quick Reply: Off boost stumble