Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Gtx turbo - boiling

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:13 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I am not running the turbo water pump, you just need to idle a little when you come off track.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:05 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
I am not running the turbo water pump, you just need to idle a little when you come off track.
i lazy, going to add a pump
Old 04-18-2017, 07:26 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Oil might cool down from say 120°C to below 100°C by just letting the engine idle, but that will need way more time than just doing one or two extra laps at minimum load so that oil is properly cooled down through the area of the oil cooler(s).

It seems very few realize that a stationary car is not cooled down whatsoever unless the fans are running full on, which puts load on the engine thus creates heat.

The turbo cooling pump is a safety net against the many cases when the car is coming to halt and/or the engine is being stopped before oil was properly cooled down (and that is not done leaving the engine idle). Removing it is asking for trouble and can cause the coolant in the CHRA to boil from hot oil. At least with the temp sensor the pump will circulate coolant if coolant temp reaches 110°C.

To cut it short, deleting the turbo cooling pump is nothing but asking for trouble.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:54 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
Oil might cool down from say 120°C to below 100°C by just letting the engine idle, but that will need way more time than just doing one or two extra laps at minimum load so that oil is properly cooled down through the area of the oil cooler(s).

It seems very few realize that a stationary car is not cooled down whatsoever unless the fans are running full on, which puts load on the engine thus creates heat.

The turbo cooling pump is a safety net against the many cases when the car is coming to halt and/or the engine is being stopped before oil was properly cooled down (and that is not done leaving the engine idle). Removing it is asking for trouble and can cause the coolant in the CHRA to boil from hot oil. At least with the temp sensor the pump will circulate coolant if coolant temp reaches 110°C.

To cut it short, deleting the turbo cooling pump is nothing but asking for trouble.
so I'm going to add one back, but am thinking of going a different route than factory. mainly cause my water lines to/from the turbo are all AN lines and I dont want to rig up something to the factory pump (being platic and all).

I'm thinking about something like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mez-wp136s/overview/
and then build a small aluminum box that will fit a thermo switch. plumb the box downstream of the turbo and wire the pump up to it. Same concept as the factory, but should give more mounting options.

thoughts?
Old 04-18-2017, 10:17 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The tracks I go to do not allow 2 or 3 cool down laps. You are normally limited to one. I have not had a water pump on my track car in the 11 years I have had it. No coking of the turbo as I let it cool by idling.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:15 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
so I'm going to add one back, but am thinking of going a different route than factory. mainly cause my water lines to/from the turbo are all AN lines and I dont want to rig up something to the factory pump (being platic and all).

I'm thinking about something like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mez-wp136s/overview/
and then build a small aluminum box that will fit a thermo switch. plumb the box downstream of the turbo and wire the pump up to it. Same concept as the factory, but should give more mounting options.

thoughts?
We've used one of that brand. Pumps a ton of water. We haven't fired up the motor yet but am hopeful this will cover our needs. Pretty bulky to install. I think the one you're looking at is smaller but will still take some thought. That OJ isn't as small as it looks..ie pump is biggish.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2017, 05:14 AM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by dizzyj
I kept the stock thermostat + housing, cut the banjo and "hosed" the assembly between the turbo outlet knee pipe and the pipe going to the water pump.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:34 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

I removed the thermostat and im telling my ECU to start the pump over 95deg.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by ealoken
Doing this way you do not leave a flexible temp gradient between the temp sensor on the block and straight out of the turbo though?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:33 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Doing this way you do not leave a flexible temp gradient between the temp sensor on the block and straight out of the turbo though?
I know the tempereature on the turbo is a bit higher, so 95 deg will do the trix

And i dont need to redo the water pipes / hoses.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:27 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
We've used one of that brand. Pumps a ton of water. We haven't fired up the motor yet but am hopeful this will cover our needs. Pretty bulky to install. I think the one you're looking at is smaller but will still take some thought. That OJ isn't as small as it looks..ie pump is biggish.
wow, I'm hoping its not that big. that will be tough to mount
Old 04-19-2017, 05:05 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Assuming they'd have some tech diagrams / specs somewhere on their site?
Old 04-20-2017, 05:18 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ealoken
What happens when the ignition is turned off? The factory pump is controlled by a relay that lets it run even after you have taken the key out.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:15 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nick_968
What happens when the ignition is turned off? The factory pump is controlled by a relay that lets it run even after you have taken the key out.
I'll be wiring mine up to a remote thermo switch. Found a nice small inline one on summit

theblump I bought is decently big. Like overkill. What's people's thoughts to taking the factory aux pump and epoxying in 2 -6 an fittings? At risk of the pump cracking during track usage?
Old 04-22-2017, 04:31 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

I did some research, And the oem pump system is super simple. I rewired it back to oem, not bothering My new standalone EMU ecu.

Quick Reply: Gtx turbo - boiling