Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

87 951 VEMS Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 02:10 PM
trivgar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my kit all installed over the weekend. Trying to figure out what's up with my trigger signal. Any input would be greatly appreciated! I'm using the GSF 36-1 wheel and ebay sensor and bracket. I'm attaching a picture of a trigger log and my sensor/wheel placement.

Pretty sure the wiring is good, I used a shielded 16ga 2 conductor wire.

Old 01-31-2021, 02:16 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by trivgar
Got my kit all installed over the weekend. Trying to figure out what's up with my trigger signal. Any input would be greatly appreciated! I'm using the GSF 36-1 wheel and ebay sensor and bracket. I'm attaching a picture of a trigger log and my sensor/wheel placement.

Pretty sure the wiring is good, I used a shielded 16ga 2 conductor wire.

What is the gap between the sensor and reluctor supposed to be? That looks like a huge gap in your pic.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:29 PM
trivgar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Droops83
What is the gap between the sensor and reluctor supposed to be? That looks like a huge gap in your pic.
Great, that's good advice. I'll have to modify the sensor a little bit to get it closer. I have no idea what the gap is supposed to be but it seemed huge to me as well.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:13 PM
trivgar
Instructor

OK I moved my sensor closer to the wheel and I got rid of the trigger errors during cranking. Looks a little bit more consistent now. Not firing yet though.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:10 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

OK I moved my sensor closer to the wheel and I got rid of the trigger errors during cranking. Looks a little bit more consistent now. Not firing yet though.
Refer to post #411 or search this thread for " FTT ".

Set engine to TDC by checking marks on cam gear and bell housing. The the engine at TDC, where is the missing tooth in correlation to trigger sensor? For example my setup. My missing tooth is 6 teeth from sensor ( 6th tooth on sensor ). Each tooth is 10 degrees, and the FTT is 0. So my TDC after trigger would be 40 degrees. I would copy my setup since we have the same trigger setup. Rotate or clock the wheel until missing tooth is 6 teeth away from sensor when engine is at TDC.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:27 AM
trivgar
Instructor

Originally Posted by shortyboy
Refer to post #411 or search this thread for " FTT ".

Set engine to TDC by checking marks on cam gear and bell housing. The the engine at TDC, where is the missing tooth in correlation to trigger sensor? For example my setup. My missing tooth is 6 teeth from sensor ( 6th tooth on sensor ). Each tooth is 10 degrees, and the FTT is 0. So my TDC after trigger would be 40 degrees. I would copy my setup since we have the same trigger setup. Rotate or clock the wheel until missing tooth is 6 teeth away from sensor when engine is at TDC.
I went with tooth 14.. FTT is 1 and TDC is 120. I have also tried FTT as 3 and TDC as 100 and other variations. All the same, doesn't catch. Timing light is erratic, I expect it is something simple.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:49 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

I went with tooth 14.. FTT is 1 and TDC is 120. I have also tried FTT as 3 and TDC as 100 and other variations. All the same, doesn't catch. Timing light is erratic, I expect it is something simple.
Its weird, I just tried the re-clocking to missing tooth to 14 tooth ( more like 15 with FTT ). Adjusted settings, so FTT would be 4, TDC 100. It wouldnt start, kept adjusting FTT and TDC from 3/110, 2/120, 5/90. Still would not start engine. Clocked the wheel back and changed it back FTT/TDC to 0/40 and it started right away. I was just trying to see if changing the clock of missing tooth would work, by theory it should since Im telling the ECU exactly when and where TDC will be. Does it sound like it wants to start? Trigger wave look good. Upload your config here so we can take a look. Put it in a zip file.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:05 PM
trivgar
Instructor

Its weird, I just tried the re-clocking to missing tooth to 14 tooth ( more like 15 with FTT ). Adjusted settings, so FTT would be 4, TDC 100. It wouldnt start, kept adjusting FTT and TDC from 3/110, 2/120, 5/90. Still would not start engine. Clocked the wheel back and changed it back FTT/TDC to 0/40 and it started right away. I was just trying to see if changing the clock of missing tooth would work, by theory it should since Im telling the ECU exactly when and where TDC will be. Does it sound like it wants to start? Trigger wave look good. Upload your config here so we can take a look. Put it in a zip file.
It's not trying to fire at all. I really didn't want to pull the crank bolt again.. Gah. Your settings don't fall in the 60-127 btdc range that vems recommends, haha. Weird.

I can upload the config later tonight, but it's basically the one that it came with. Glad to hear the trigger log looks good though.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:27 PM
trivgar
Instructor

Alright, here is my latest config file. I didn't change much aside from the trigger settings though.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
951.zip (4.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-01-2021, 09:57 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Alright, here is my latest config file. I didn't change much aside from the trigger settings though.
Took a quick look at it and all looks good. I recall you having the wasted spark. Did you wire it up already? If so you also need to change the ignition settings to pins EC36 pin 36 and 34. See attached image. If not, Id start checking you if have spark and fuel.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:21 PM
trivgar
Instructor

Took a quick look at it and all looks good. I recall you having the wasted spark. Did you wire it up already? If so you also need to change the ignition settings to pins EC36 pin 36 and 34. See attached image. If not, Id start checking you if have spark and fuel.
Didn't do the swap to wasted spark yet but that's good info, thanks! I guess tomorrow I will probably redo the trigger wheel..
Old 02-01-2021, 10:44 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Didn't do the swap to wasted spark yet but that's good info, thanks! I guess tomorrow I will probably redo the trigger wheel..
Btw, you dont need to remove the crank bolt to remove the trigger wheel. Just undo the alternator bracket, remove belt, belt pulley and the wheel should come off. since the belt pulley is mounted by 4 bolts that mount the trigger wheel. Picture for reference. Not mine.

Last edited by shortyboy; 02-01-2021 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:28 PM
trivgar
Instructor

OK I spun the trigger wheel. It's firing a lot now, trigger log looks great. It won't quite start though. I locked the ignition timing to 0 and got my timing mark on the crank to line up good with fine tuning in vems. Still won't quite start. Almost seems as if the timing is off still, but the light suggests otherwise.

I am using siemens low z 72# injectors, they appear to be set correctly. 34.9% pwm and 1ms peak time. MSD blaster coil, dwell set between 3 and 3.5 makes no difference. Req fuel was set at 10ms when I got it, i came up with 5.5 myself. Neither seem to make a difference. Wide band and tps calibration went well...

Any ideas?
Old 02-03-2021, 04:08 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

OK I spun the trigger wheel. It's firing a lot now, trigger log looks great. It won't quite start though. I locked the ignition timing to 0 and got my timing mark on the crank to line up good with fine tuning in vems. Still won't quite start. Almost seems as if the timing is off still, but the light suggests otherwise.

I am using siemens low z 72# injectors, they appear to be set correctly. 34.9% pwm and 1ms peak time. MSD blaster coil, dwell set between 3 and 3.5 makes no difference. Req fuel was set at 10ms when I got it, i came up with 5.5 myself. Neither seem to make a difference. Wide band and tps calibration went well...

Any ideas?
Not sure if VEMS can use low z injectors but some have stated it is compatible, only real answer is to ask Peep. I was also told not to use the req_fuel formula. Id try keep adding req_fuel until it starts. In the instructions from Peep, it stated to adjust req_fuel until you get 1.0 lambda at idle.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:35 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Any ideas?
What's the fuel injector pulsewidth while cranking?

Quick Reply: 87 951 VEMS Install