Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

87 951 VEMS Install

Old 10-19-2018, 09:17 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
I have had same issue since I got VEMS. Usually by second or 3rd start it runs properly. I am wondering if it's either voltage related or maybe sensor gap on speed and ref sensors. Car runs great when it clicks over and is clean. I have 3 br, FPR, 80lb injectors, reasonably new fuel filter, so doubtful it is fuel delivery. I have also removed ICV now, no change, although car idels properly when I get clean start. Nothing I have done has made any difference so have just got used to having to start it a few timees. Very annoying considering how well it runs when its running cleanly
Have you datalogged both scenarios to see if any of the relevant sensor readings are drastically different when running well and not? Looking at Shortyboy's video, it is clearly running lean when it acts up; does yours do the same? In both cases, it could be a sensor ground or other wiring issue that the VEMS is more sensitive to than the factory DME. Make sure your bellhousing grounds are clean and tight; if not this can cause all sorts of strange issues, whether VEMS or bone stock.

Same thing for the power side; check for voltage drops at all of the junction points from the battery (starter, bellhousing, alternator, etc). Make sure the sensors are getting a full 5V reference.

Originally Posted by blade7
I may be mistaken, but I think Peep told me VEMS doesn't rely on the idle circuit in the standard TPS.
Well, it does if you have it set up for an idle control valve like I do, but it can be set up to run without like these two guys have done.

Originally Posted by shortyboy
Surprised to know that someone else with the same issue. What have you done so far to correct issue?I thought about speed reference sensor gap and quality. Then interference and kickback comes to mind. Did you notch the bell housing by any chance or have the older type speed reference sensor bracket without the updated sleeve?I've notch my bell housing when I rebuild my motor a few years back and believe I have the bracket without sleeve.
I supposed it could be something interfering with the speed/ref mark signals, but the odd part is that your engine runs so lean when it acts up (and it sounds/acts lean in your video). The original Bosch Motronic DME has a pretty robust, specialized chipset to process these speed signals, which are quite noisy. The VEMS is one of the few aftermarket ECUs that seems to play nice with this type of inductive/ring gear setup, but it seems like it is perhaps not as tolerant of noise/wiring issues as is the factory DME. How is your speed/reference mark wiring harness on the car? Any crappy aftermarket ignition wires or anything else that could be causing electromagnetic interference (EMI)?
Old 10-19-2018, 09:49 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought the map Peep supplies uses the ISV but not the TPS idle circuit ?
Old 10-19-2018, 11:36 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blade7
I thought the map Peep supplies uses the ISV but not the TPS idle circuit ?
The only way the factory DME or VEMS ECU knows to activate the ISV is via the idle contact in the TPS.

You might be confusing the fact that jumpering the connector in the engine compartment is no longer used to set base idle---you have to use the VEMS software to deactivate the ISV to do that.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:50 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It's not using idle contact in factory TPS, only uses variable resistance part of the TPS (3 pins).

Regarding starting or not, you should observe/log the injector pw when idling and then adjust cranking enrichment and/or starting VE so that it is close to what engine likes when idling. Obviously something is off when it does not want to start, you should check the injector pw then also.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:01 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Raceboy
It's not using idle contact in factory TPS, only uses variable resistance part of the TPS (3 pins).
Well I stand corrected, then! Thanks for the clarification. Any particular reason for that?

Old 10-20-2018, 06:09 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
Well I stand corrected, then! Thanks for the clarification. Any particular reason for that?
I have no idea about the VEMS but always wondered if the separate switch was simply a function of limited processing power in the old 8051-driven DME's. With ample processing power, how hard would it be to set a flag in software when the pot reaches the idle area?
Old 10-20-2018, 08:49 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That’s what VEMS does, when it’s at 0% throttle it’s in idle mode, and will show the Idle indication. Doesn’t need a separate switch to tell it that after the TPS is calibrated.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:11 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was able to get my low speed and cruize semi dialed in with autotune. As of now I'm not able to decipher how to set up the ebc config in VEMS. If someone could provide a screenshot of their settings I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on running about 16psi. So for now I plan on using a MBC. Also wondering how you guys are using autotune to set fueling under boost? Autotune requires that the cell being tuned remain constant for about ~2 sec. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:15 PM
NCLA951
Racer

If using MBC then it doesn’t matter what EBC settings are in VEMS since it won’t be doing anything. Auto tune in boost you just need to drive it a bunch, after it’s got enough samples for a given cell it will make a change. Doesn’t need to be continuous time in the Cel, just over time total in Cel.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:16 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Sorry misread part about MBC/EBC. Auto tune comments still apply.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:52 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gpr8er
I was able to get my low speed and cruize semi dialed in with autotune. As of now I'm not able to decipher how to set up the ebc config in VEMS. If someone could provide a screenshot of their settings I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on running about 16psi. So for now I plan on using a MBC. Also wondering how you guys are using autotune to set fueling under boost? Autotune requires that the cell being tuned remain constant for about ~2 sec. Thanks for the help.
For EBC, you will need to install an aftermarket boost control solenoid like this (factory cycling valve won't work):

Amazon Amazon

My VEMS wasn't configured correctly for EBC when I first got it. Peep changed it for me after I sent a config file to him. Use the factory cycling valve wires, and in the "output channels" menu of VEMStune, set the boost control channel to "Injector output 4 (7A) Grounding, InjGroup." Then set your boost curve how you want it. The PID boost control works great.

Let me know if you need advice about plumbing the boost control solenoid (I assume you have a dual-port wastegate).
Old 10-21-2018, 01:36 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

For EBC, you will need to install an aftermarket boost control solenoid like this (factory cycling valve won't work):

https://www.amazon.com/MAC-35A-AAA-D.../dp/B00YBN3DRO

My VEMS wasn't configured correctly for EBC when I first got it. Peep changed it for me after I sent a config file to him. Use the factory cycling valve wires, and in the "output channels" menu of VEMStune, set the boost control channel to "Injector output 4 (7A) Grounding, InjGroup." Then set your boost curve how you want it. The PID boost control works great.

Let me know if you need advice about plumbing the boost control solenoid (I assume you have a dual-port wastegate).
Yes, I have the solenoid valve and Tial 38. Had it all installed and plumbed. My problem is that the setting menu in VEMS are beyond my comprehension. So for now I'm using a MBC.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:36 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gpr8er
Yes, I have the solenoid valve and Tial 38. Had it all installed and plumbed. My problem is that the setting menu in VEMS are beyond my comprehension. So for now I'm using a MBC.

Here ya go. Make sure you change the boost control output setting to injector output 4 as I posted above.

Then set your boost control target vs RPM table and have fun! The PID boost control quickly learns the optimum boost curve.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:56 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Here ya go. Make sure you change the boost control output setting to injector output 4 as I posted above.

Then set your boost control target vs RPM table and have fun! The PID boost control quickly learns the optimum boost curve.

Thanks!!
Had to put off messing around with the car today, found a screw in the work truck tire. Heading out to see the Thunderbirds off the coast of Huntington Beach
Old 10-23-2018, 06:47 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceboy

Regarding starting or not, you should observe/log the injector pw when idling and then adjust cranking enrichment and/or starting VE so that it is close to what engine likes when idling. Obviously something is off when it does not want to start, you should check the injector pw then also.
Hi Peep,

My car runs great, when it gets a good start But it takes a few cranks to get that good start. If I run the car on a bad start, it seems like it's running lean. Please see video I posted will try and get better videos of problem. Another person is also experiencing the same exact problem as me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 87 951 VEMS Install