Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

87 951 VEMS Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 01:21 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr8er
Finally got around to installing the VEMS. Car starts and runs...barely. It's off the chart lean right now. I have attempted to pair the VEMS with my laptop but it's requesting a pairing code. Wondering if you guys have an answer? TIA
Pairing code is 9111. You need to calibrate the O2 sensor outside of the car before you start it. Then you can let it warm up and adjust fuel-req , and then after that you can begin auto tune to adjust the VE map.

Here are Peep's instructions for the initial set up of VEMS:

1. Remove AFM or just disconnect.
2. Install air temp sensor into intake pipe between intercooler and throttle body.
3. Weld WB sensor bung into downpipe after turbo.
4. Route the WB cable of the adapter through the firewall rubber grommet (can be through the one that DME harness goes through or drivers side one, your choice) and connect KLR boost line to VEMS ECU.
5. Download latest VEMSTune software from here and install into your computer: http://vems.hu/download/v3gui/NIGHTLY/
6. Connect VEMS to laptop computer. Please see tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipbimqIGgX4
If your VEMS is equipped with Bluetooth you need to pair it with laptop (pairing code is 9111) and it will install two "Serial over Bluetooth COM ports" and you just select the lower numbered one in Vemstune and click "OK" (not "Detect ECU"!)
7. Calibrate WBO2 sensor with sensor connected to VEMS but not screwed into exhaust (this is important)! See the tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6dVF_r5d3o
8. Verify the sensor readings and calibrate TPS if needed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHGh-e7j1qM
9. If everything is as it should be (temperature readings sane, TPS reading corresponds to real movement etc), then start the engine.
10. After engine has started, let it warm up and adjust req_fuel constant to aim for lambda 0.95-1.0 at idle. This can be done by going to Base Setup -> Engine Setup.
11. If req_fuel constant has been set, use autotune feature if necessary to fine tune fuelling. Please see tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fyfhY_FhI
Old 07-15-2018, 12:56 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 944crazy
Pairing code is 9111. You need to calibrate the O2 sensor outside of the car before you start it. Then you can let it warm up and adjust fuel-req , and then after that you can begin auto tune to adjust the VE map.

Here are Peep's instructions for the initial set up of VEMS:

1. Remove AFM or just disconnect.
2. Install air temp sensor into intake pipe between intercooler and throttle body.
3. Weld WB sensor bung into downpipe after turbo.
4. Route the WB cable of the adapter through the firewall rubber grommet (can be through the one that DME harness goes through or drivers side one, your choice) and connect KLR boost line to VEMS ECU.
5. Download latest VEMSTune software from here and install into your computer: http://vems.hu/download/v3gui/NIGHTLY/
6. Connect VEMS to laptop computer. Please see tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipbimqIGgX4
If your VEMS is equipped with Bluetooth you need to pair it with laptop (pairing code is 9111) and it will install two "Serial over Bluetooth COM ports" and you just select the lower numbered one in Vemstune and click "OK" (not "Detect ECU"!)
7. Calibrate WBO2 sensor with sensor connected to VEMS but not screwed into exhaust (this is important)! See the tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6dVF_r5d3o
8. Verify the sensor readings and calibrate TPS if needed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHGh-e7j1qM
9. If everything is as it should be (temperature readings sane, TPS reading corresponds to real movement etc), then start the engine.
10. After engine has started, let it warm up and adjust req_fuel constant to aim for lambda 0.95-1.0 at idle. This can be done by going to Base Setup -> Engine Setup.
11. If req_fuel constant has been set, use autotune feature if necessary to fine tune fuelling. Please see tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fyfhY_FhI
Thanks so much! I'm going to try this today, will report back.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:59 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Well I followed 944 crazy instructions worked just like it should.

Although for some reason the tachometer in the dash is not working. The tach on the laptop is working and correct so going to have to figure that out.

Drove the car for a little bit it's going to need what appears to be quite a bit of tuning but at least the thing starts, runs, and drives!!

that's a big hurdle for me I have absolutely zero experience in tuning.

How do you place VEMS into auto-tune is my next question?
Old 07-15-2018, 11:34 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr8er
How do you place VEMS into auto-tune is my next question?
Tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fyfhY_FhI
Old 07-16-2018, 03:38 PM
RM512
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gpr8er: here is what peep sent me when my tach wasn't working:
Please check if you have wire coming from VEMS EC36 pin 4 or not (thatis P259 ch0). If you have wire coming from EC18 pin 4 then you shouldchange output channel to S259 ch3.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:27 PM
Porvair
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sam,

How did it go with your dyno tune? Hoping that it was worthwhile for you.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:47 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porvair
Sam,

How did it go with your dyno tune? Hoping that it was worthwhile for you.
yeah me too???
Old 07-29-2018, 11:46 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

It was late when I picked it up so I just threw it on the trailer and brought it home - I finally drove the car today for the first time for about 25min. it seems to run very well- they use a mustang dyno and tuned it based on torque. It only made 280hp / 309tq @ 18psi / 93oct but I know every dyno reads different so that doesnt really tell the whole story - boost comes on hard like it used to on its old MAF setup which was missing from the basemap. They said it needs a bigger turbo -I think it needs a new engine >2.5L and a bigger turbo

My car has only been on a dynojet previously so its hard to compare to previous setups. They feel they dialed in the fuel/timing and stated I wouldn't have to mess with it at all anymore. I really want to put a few more miles on it / cold starts before I claim success but I think they know what they are doing. It was their first Vems tune and they stated it was easy/straightforward apart from the nightmare that the "round" gauge is, they got farther with it then I have in getting the computer to talk to it but we still never managed to have the ECU stream to it - to be continued, could be my wiring error. Now I can finally mount the VEMS unit, hide it and enjoy the car again.

Only real mods are to4e .57, bigger injectors, tial wastegate, 3" testpipe/exhaust. They said the turbo was smoking a bit but it cleared up after a few pulls - its 11 years old with ~ 6k miles on it.

Last edited by SamGrant951; 07-30-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:36 AM
RM512
Racer

Sam. would you care to share the name of the tuner?
Old 07-30-2018, 11:23 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Dynosource Performance - their shop is impressive and they have a separate dyno area / room and seem to tune just about any standalone system / any make and model. Locate in Antioch, IL north of Chicago.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:23 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

In order to have your round gauge to work with AIM stream it needs: reversed RS232 connector (otherwise it would connect Rx with Rx and Tx with Tx while it needs Rx -Tx and vice versa). Also Vemstune has to be configured to have the AIM stream enabled.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:45 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Thanks for your help Peep. Yeah I have done that (made a connector with Rx-Tx with one pin grounded) - we actually could not get the ECU/Vemstune to Enable AIM. On the menu screen the pull down option for Enable AIM says No and No where I would expect to see No and Yes.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:37 PM
RM512
Racer

Thank you for the info Sam
Old 08-01-2018, 02:16 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Thanks for your help Peep. Yeah I have done that (made a connector with Rx-Tx with one pin grounded) - we actually could not get the ECU/Vemstune to Enable AIM. On the menu screen the pull down option for Enable AIM says No and No where I would expect to see No and Yes.
You mean this place? Allows easily to enable AIM mode (on the ECU, not the gauge, it works by default, just have to have proper firmware flashed onto it).

Old 08-01-2018, 11:45 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Yes that menu shows me "No and No" in the dropdown. I dont have a "Yes" option to enable AIM. Ill have to get a screenshot and send it to you. Is there a way you can take my file and change something to allow the Yes to show up in the dropdown? Thanks.

Last edited by SamGrant951; 08-01-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 87 951 VEMS Install