Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 10:27 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by shortyboy
I We need to make a dedicated VEMS thread. -Wayne
It seems like this is the thread!

I just installed my Evergreen K27/26-6 hybrid turbo with SFR 3" downpipe and center pipe along with Siemens Deka 80-lb injectors and Bosch 044 fuel pump, and the change was seamless with the VEMS. A combination of manual and auto tuning of the VE table and the engine runs perfectly throughout the rev range.

Next up, working on the PID boost control and installing the waster spark setup along with a cam trigger to go to full sequential injection!
Old 01-26-2018, 08:12 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
It seems like this is the thread!

I just installed my Evergreen K27/26-6 hybrid turbo with SFR 3" downpipe and center pipe along with Siemens Deka 80-lb injectors and Bosch 044 fuel pump, and the change was seamless with the VEMS. A combination of manual and auto tuning of the VE table and the engine runs perfectly throughout the rev range.

Next up, working on the PID boost control and installing the waster spark setup along with a cam trigger to go to full sequential injection!
Awesome Chris and I think this thread has alot of great information. Please share install of cam trigger and sequential injection, was looking at this in the future. I can share instructions for wasted spark. How many pins does your coil pack have?
Old 01-26-2018, 10:12 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by shortyboy
Awesome Chris and I think this thread has alot of great information. Please share install of cam trigger and sequential injection, was looking at this in the future. I can share instructions for wasted spark. How many pins does your coil pack have?
I got the coil pack from Peep, it has 3 pins, same as the one pictured on the left here:

http://www.vems.com/ignition/bosch-motorsport-2x2.html

As for the cam trigger, I had been planning to adapt the Hall sensor and cam gear setup from my old 944S project car, but this is so much quicker:

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=306
Old 01-27-2018, 03:05 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Droops83
I got the coil pack from Peep, it has 3 pins, same as the one pictured on the left here:

http://www.vems.com/ignition/bosch-motorsport-2x2.html

As for the cam trigger, I had been planning to adapt the Hall sensor and cam gear setup from my old 944S project car, but this is so much quicker:

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=306
3 pins like mine. I have an MSD unit. center pin goes to 12v coil / red wire from factory coil. 2 otter pins goto ec36 pins 34 and 36. then put these settings. base setup>ignition outputs visual>
Old 01-27-2018, 06:29 PM
Porvair
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great thread and very helpful.
I ordered VEMS for my 88 951s and am looking forward to the upgrade. And thanks to Chris who shared notes on the stock airbox adaptor as I plan to follow that path as well.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:58 PM
endoquest
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread! I ordered a VEMS PnP for my E Production race car. It's a '87 N/A that has been using the stock DME for three years. I'm making some big changes to the motor that will require much more tuning. The only thing I've ever tuned before this was a guitar so I'm hoping it's as easy as it sounds. Can't wait!
Old 03-03-2018, 07:12 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I’m very excited as well!!! Peep is ordering the parts as we speak! There have been some hiccups with wasted spark systems and a couple other things with heavily modified vehicles, but I’m super happy with how quicky Peep diagnosis problems and diagnoseis and fixes issues. Looking foreword!!
Old 03-04-2018, 07:14 AM
Porvair
Instructor

Just received my goodies from Peep. I have a friend tig welding the air temp sensor to the turbo intake tube similar to the pics in above, and I will be routing the wideband next.

This thread has been super helpful and thanks to all who have shared their experiences. Even though the VEMs is plug and play there is still a bit of planning with respect to routing the wideband wires other details.

Has anyone installed a MAC boost control with their VEMS? I had Peep add that but not much in terms of instructions there. I plan to make that a "day two" project to replace my manual boost control (38mm Tial wastegate) once I get the car running with VEMS. Ditto for teh oil temp sensor which requires a dedicated oil pan bung or drilling and tapping the oil drain plug. Lindsey sells a tapped oil drain plug bit looks like it is threaded differently from the one Peep provided.

Another day two project.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:12 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You’re not putting the temp sensor Pre Turbo are you? It wants to be near as is can be to the throttle body, Post turbo and intercooler.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:38 PM
Porvair
Instructor

No - bad wording on my part. I had the bung welded into the hard pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body just as you did. Just got it back.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:46 PM
Porvair
Instructor

Next step is to install the wideband o2 sensor. I was considering something similar to this pic from Lindsey, but on the outer side of the downpipe as it is easier to get to and weld. Then route the lead up behind the engine to mate with the VEMs harness, which I was planning on depinning so I could get it through the passenger side firewall grommet.

Wondering if that sound reasonable?

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2018, 11:14 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porvair
Next step is to install the wideband o2 sensor. I was considering something similar to this pic from Lindsey, but on the outer side of the downpipe as it is easier to get to and weld. Then route the lead up behind the engine to mate with the VEMs harness, which I was planning on depinning so I could get it through the passenger side firewall grommet.

Wondering if that sound reasonable?

Thanks!

You want the Wideband O2 sensor pointed at a 45 degree angle pointing down to keep moisture off it. To prevent premature failure. Its tight, but many have done it by loosening the bolts at down pipe for extra clearance.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:20 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Having a weird issue since installing VEMS and Peep and I cant see to figure it out. Im getting some low idle/low RPM stumbling issues. But it happens every so often. For example, from a cold start my RPM is around 500rpm ( i have no Idle Control Valve ), once it comes to temp, after warm up enrichment, i still have low idle at around 700rpm, stumbling and sputtering at 1100-1200rpm and lots of popping on de-acceleration. But if i shut off the car and immediately turn it on, Idle changes to 1000rpm, no stumbling, no sputtering and no popping under de-acceleration. Its weird. Tried many different config files, had Peep adjust idle etc. Tried auto-tune with EGO closed loop off. I can time it to where every 4 restarts , I get a good idle/start. I usually have a bad start, but after shutting off and turning on its good again. Been thinking TPS, calibrated multiple times, still no help. I have a ford throttle body and tps coming in, so will see if that helps. Maybe speed/reference sensors? This happens cold OR hot start. Other than that issue, care runs perfectly and gas mileage has never been better.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:05 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

Have you looked at the charge temp table? that corrects for cold / hot engine ?
Old 03-06-2018, 03:25 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Could be a problem with your Afterstart settings or RPM based overrun fuelcut or VE table or ignition timing table or MAT/TPS fuel enrichment table or.... I would say, hard to make a diagnosis.
Maybe one could help, if you post your config file.

Quick Reply: 87 951 VEMS Install