Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Twin Turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 07:13 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo??

While driving around today...I started thinking about twin turbo's. Would it be possible to do this in a 951? If so, what type of cost would we be looking at...and what would be the pro's and con's of this type of project? Power? Fuel usage? Weight? I am not really wanting to do this...just curioous...
Old 11-10-2003, 07:19 PM
reactor2
Instructor

The reason for twin turbos is mainly to reduce turbo lag. I suppose having two smaller turbos each run by two exhaust ports could have a performance benefit but that would introduce a mechanical nightmare as there is very little free space under the hood of a 951.

Reactor2
Old 11-10-2003, 08:03 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by reactor2
The reason for twin turbos is mainly to reduce turbo lag. I suppose having two smaller turbos each run by two exhaust ports could have a performance benefit but that would introduce a mechanical nightmare as there is very little free space under the hood of a 951.

Reactor2
Hey wait... Amaf had twin turbos on his 924!!!

Old 11-10-2003, 08:33 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Blood, if you notice, most tuners that work with factory twin turbos (300zx tt, supra tt, rx-7 tt) ditch their twin turbo when they want serious hp. Why would you want to go back to something they all ditch unless you want everyday drievability and not all out performance. That is the biggest advantage of such a setup, quick spoolup which usually comes at the cost of lower max boost. Unless ofcourse you run sequential tt but even then you have to deal with transition issues and that real trick manifold to mount both the turbos.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

There was a great Pano or Excellence interview with the engineer at Porsche who was the lead on various turbo motor projects and he described using two turbos (sequentially in this case I belive) as "incredibly complex". If that's the case for him, how easy do you think it would be for us to do it well.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:50 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you from experience that ALL RX-7TT guys that want to go real fast ditch the sequential setup. They go to a single. When doing the 20B conversion virtually no one uses the sequential setup either. I think I have seen it in use 1 time. It is a garbage setup for performance and was designed to let the engine make power down low (most people arent willing to deal with boost lag). The 911s even one turbo per cylinder bank IIRC. Not only can I not see a benefit on a 951 but for practical purposes where would you put the second turbo?
Old 11-10-2003, 10:10 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would put the second turbo in that hatch, duh!

Christian
Old 11-11-2003, 09:27 AM
tecart
Pro

I made a photo of what a twin turbo setup might look like for our cars but i guess i cant post a pic? Im not a rennlist member so i cant? thats funny i thought i could in the past, any ideas? Do you need to pay to be a member to post a pic here now? Ill post it whatever way i can... but how to post it here any ideas...
Old 11-11-2003, 10:48 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Russ Murphy
There was a great Pano or Excellence interview with the engineer at Porsche who was the lead on various turbo motor projects and he described using two turbos (sequentially in this case I belive) as "incredibly complex". If that's the case for him, how easy do you think it would be for us to do it well.

Yeah, while the 951 was in developement, the factory tried twins. They ended up not really seeing a benefit for the added complexity and cost. It was a Pano article last year.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo??