Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Question about 1986-951-Fuch color option codes ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 03:05 PM
hinch77
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Question about 1986-951-Fuch color option codes ?

New member, 1st post...avid Porsche enthusiast for over 20 years...first car was a 1983 944 which was a daily driver for 7 years. Now, as of recent I just purchased a 1986 944 Turbo 951...the car is in transit and due to arrive tomorrow....I spoke to the local Porsche dealer about this, but I am wondering if anyone knows what the color option codes were in 1986 for the Fuch rims on 951's... specifically in Porsche RED.....the car I just purchased is a 2 owner car and appears completely original. But, in the 20 years I've been into 944/951's I have never seen a 951 with RED Fuch rims - directly from the factory (they've always been black Fuch's or Porsche phone dials) for 1986. So, I am trying to see if this car was ordered/delivered directly from the factory with RED Fuch rims and if that was an option in 1986 because once again, I've never seen one. I do have the name of the original owner but have yet to contact him. The 2nd owner had the car for 20 years and indicated he bought the car from the original owner this way. This will be a restore project so I will keep you guys posted throughout but I think I'm leaning to keeping everything ALL original. These pics were taken prior to shipping.

PICs here

Old 03-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Welcome, nice 951.

Fuchs original paint is like enamel, very very hard to get off. Close up inspection of paint and its rock damage should tell you if these were red out of the factory or somebody painted them.

My 944 came with factory white 16'' fuchs.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:53 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Iirc when the factory painted the wheels they stamped the color code on the back of the wheel next to the part number. Also, I'm sure they painted the center caps the same color.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:18 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hinch77
I am wondering if anyone knows what the color option codes were in 1986 for the Fuch rims on 951's.
M395...light metal rims, forged, 16 in [aka black-centered Fuchs]
M348...light metal rims, forged, 16 in, lacquered GP white [aka white-centered Fuchs]

Not saying Fuchs could not have been special ordered...as far as I know, black or white were the only standard options.

Don, have anything to add?
Old 03-05-2017, 11:52 AM
hinch77
Track Day

Thank you for the information, really appreciate it !

The car arrived yesterday - had a damaged drivers side fog light during transit, needed a jump, and has an upper hose coolant leak...passenger side rear tire was soft also (the car has Yokohama's)...otherwise the car started right up upon a jump...and runs good...has a full custom exhaust already installed, new clutch, timing belt and water pump.

Beginning my parts list: new hood struts, K&N oil filter, replacement wiper motor, replacement fog light, cig lighter, new battery...

When I check the tires I will look for those color codes and see what is stamped on the inner rim..
Going to get the car to a point where it passes inspection then off to another garage that specializes in 944's - Bavarian Rocket Science - upon which time I plan on replacing ALL vacuum hoses, and looking at a complete silicon hose replacement kit & fuel rail system from Lindsey Racing.

This car also came with ALL documents relating to all previous work completed including the original owners manual, warranty and service guide, and every receipt dating back to 1986.

The Turbo has also been replaced. Once the car is running up to spec and sound...I'm planning on paint and rim refurb. Interior is about a 7/10..large crack on the dash, but all original and working.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:16 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What does that blurry sticker stay?

c02...US emissions
m425...rear window wiper
m432...sport steering wheel, 363 mm, 4-spoke
m454...automatic speed control [aka cruise control]
m533...anti-theft device [aka alarm]
m650...detachable roof [aka sunroof]
m946...leatherette seats with leather inserts/sitting surfaces

So, according to the options sticker, this car did not come from the factory with either red- or white-centered Fuchs. Ergo, it was fitted with the standard 7"/8" x 16" turbo phone dials.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:32 PM
hinch77
Track Day

car is now in the shop...looks like build day is next week..waiting on a few parts..

Old 03-18-2017, 11:50 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks to have cleaned up nicely, good looking car you have got there and welcome aboard.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:59 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice '86, never saw one with red Fuchs. Do you have an option sticker in the rear hatch or in the owners manual? My car did not have an option sticker in the hatch so I wonder if it's in the owners manual somewhere. At least I was able to find the origin of sale Porsche dealer in 1986/usa. Just need to contact them to get details if records are kept.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:10 PM
hinch77
Track Day

The option sticker is in the original owners manual which I have..
Once the car is up on the lift we will look for the factory code on the back of the rims....either they came off an 86 911 (one off special order)...or were installed by the original owner (possibly painted??) ..we don't know yet where they came from or how they ended up on the car....I bought the car from the 2nd owner and he indicated he bought the car this way 20 years ago.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:50 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hinch77
The option sticker is in the original owners manual which I have..
Once the car is up on the lift we will look for the factory code on the back of the rims....either they came off an 86 911 (one off special order)...or were installed by the original owner (possibly painted??) ..we don't know yet where they came from or how they ended up on the car....I bought the car from the 2nd owner and he indicated he bought the car this way 20 years ago.
So option sticker in om as well and not in hatch. I have same vehicle with zermatt silver/silver factory Fuchs built 5/1986 at Stuttgart. What does the door plate indicate for build date?
Old 03-18-2017, 11:19 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

The Fuchs appear to be 951 Fuchs, you can check the part number on the back. I don't think any narrow body factory 911 Fuchs fit the 951.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:29 PM
hinch77
Track Day

Just a quick update: the car is slated for an entire front end engine rebuild next week - new: waterpump, timing belt, rollers, seals, radiator, hoses, vacuum lines, new tires, etc - then directly off to paint the following week.

I managed to find a Saratoga sunroof for the 951 in good condition from a local Porsche enthusiast in my area - $380 It will be a great addition to car and also adds to future resale value.

Found one set of vintage guards red Fuchs online:

https://www.aasesales.com/products/wheelrack1-101094

Exceptional looks and performance to Porsche specs while maintaining the original features of the car is my goal... these cars in unmolested, original form are becoming harder to find and in demand. Looking forward to seeing the final results post paint and options.

If Porsche is reading this: Bring back the 951 Turbo !! Not the entire 944 line but just the 951 Turbo..make a limited run with 2018 Porsche engineering. I'll be commenting more on this in the future.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:38 AM
There's no Sub!
Advanced

Does anyone know where to find a list of all and every Fuchs wheels color option factory colors including race teams and limited special order?
Old 06-03-2018, 12:19 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by There's no Sub!
Does anyone know where to find a list of all and every Fuchs wheels color option factory colors including race teams and limited special order?
You could gather data for the standard offerings. Including RS cars with deviating Fuchs (and stripe) as standard, I think there are about eleven standard choices that did not require Sonderwunsch/Exclusive processing. Color availability was year/model dependent. I think on a single model for a single year maybe four options were available standard. Outside of that it is practically impossible. One could special order them in any color.

Silver (anodized?) with black accents (67)
Black center, anodized petals and rim
Red center, anodized rim (73 RS)
Green center, anodized rim (73 RS)
Blue center, anodized rim (73 RS)
Gold center, anodized rim (74 RS)
Black center, frosted silver petals and rim (74 RSR)
Black center, anodized rim
Platinum center, anodized rim
White center, anodized rim
Silver center, anodized rim
To sample (special factory order)

Could be wrong on a few or missing some. Not an expert.

Quick Reply: Question about 1986-951-Fuch color option codes ?