Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Use N/A engine mount for custom turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:12 PM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Use N/A engine mount for custom turbo?

Ok, maybe this has been covered before or is just not a good ide for some reason but today a looked at an engine with a Garrett turbo and took a look how they had solved the mounting issue with the engine mount.

What I found was an N/A mount so the turbo was actually hanging there in the crossover/downpipe. I could not see any other pick up points. I could imagine this is not ideal regarding the flex in the exhaust and engine/car but maybe it's possible to solve another bracket against the block?

Anyway, this takes away the need of an expensive Tial/Broadfoot billet mount and the diy hacking and risk of leaks adapter plates that some guys do.

​​​​​​​

Good or bad?
Old 01-12-2017, 08:19 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

would definitely want a sturdy mount to support the turbo and not just hang it off of thin-wall piping.
pictures shows some gnarly bubble-gum welding too...not "made with care" here.

if you wanted to experiment you'd be better served using a 944S2 or968 engine support "arm" as they have a thick boss with 2x M8 tapped holes (used for a support bracket for the 3.0L intake manifold) already...i can sell you one if you want

Old 01-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I took my stock mount to a machine shop and had them weld 1/2" of material to the bottom of the flange, then mill 1/2" off the top of the flange. Problem solved. Plenty of clearance to the intake. I decided not to re-machine the o-ring groove and used a base gasket from a 930 turbo.

Quick Reply: Use N/A engine mount for custom turbo?