Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DME cuts off at random times?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:31 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I realize this may be a stretch but I had similar issues with my 1993 E32 740i over the summer. I swapped DMEs, I replaced crank and cam sensors, replaced coils, fuel pump, fuel pump relays and a few other bits I am probably forgetting. Car would be running fine and then just die. Tach continued to work so sometimes I didn't even realize it had died. Most times after turning the key on and off it would restart and run for variable amounts of time.

Turned out to be the MAF. I can't necessarily explain why it was killing the car but as something of a last ditch effort I bought a new one and the issue disappeared and all has been good for 4 or 5 months now.

Both the E32 and the 951 use Motronic so maybe it's not that big of a stretch...
Old 01-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue that drove me crazy for a couple of years. Engine dies, cycle the key and it starts back no problem. It was absolutely like it was going into overboost protection, but would be totally random on when it did it, usually while driving very gentle. In my case, I had a couple of problems and it took a long time to sort it out. Here is my thread that may help you. There was a lot of good help from experts.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...tection-6.html

Quick Reply: DME cuts off at random times?