Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lindsey Racing Super 53

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 06:45 PM
Wojo7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lindsey Racing Super 53

Im contemplating another turbo upgrade, Im considering a Lindsey super 53, there are some old posts on this topic that have been very helpful providing feedback, is anyone currently running one? Seems like a good fit for moderate power and decent spool.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:14 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lindsey also advertising billet versions now... Wonder if they have a super 53 in that flavor....
Old 12-30-2016, 11:20 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Wojo7
Im contemplating another turbo upgrade, Im considering a Lindsey super 53, there are some old posts on this topic that have been very helpful providing feedback, is anyone currently running one? Seems like a good fit for moderate power and decent spool.
There's a rennlist member that's going to try to get a group buy on a custom billet k26 based turbo. he's going to be posting in a day or so. I have his prototype on my autocross car that is very much in development still. with a stock waste gate, cycling valve / LBE, AFM, it out spools the original K26/6, and has no trouble running out the injectors @ 273 wheel hp, 320 tq shutting it down just before 5000 rpm..... on a mustang dyno that's pretty cruel.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:04 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm running a Super 53 twin ball bearing turbo with "P" trim in my car. I'm very happy with it, spools quickly and makes good power (butt dyno only). I swapped it for a K27/6 that was in the car previously.

It's a bolt up to the stock mount, the ball bearing center cartridge meant I had to fabricate the piping for the turbo coolant lines. I don't think that would be an issue with a plain bearing turbo.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:12 AM
Wojo7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
I'm running a Super 53 twin ball bearing turbo with "P" trim in my car. I'm very happy with it, spools quickly and makes good power (butt dyno only). I swapped it for a K27/6 that was in the car previously.

It's a bolt up to the stock mount, the ball bearing center cartridge meant I had to fabricate the piping for the turbo coolant lines. I don't think that would be an issue with a plain bearing turbo.
I'm running a 27/6 right now as well, I was looking at the stage 3 trim to keep the spool as low as possible, I really like how the 27/6 is almost instant power, do you have any issues with oil smoke? Reliability?
Old 12-31-2016, 12:50 PM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 53 in my 87 turbo. Have had it 3 summers, several track days and several 4 to 8 hour Sunday drives. Zero issues. It spools a bit later but then "bam". Lots of fun and on a larger track(Mosport is my home track) is where it seems to be the happiest. Cheers.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:58 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I've had mine in for since the summer of 2014 with no issues. I used an oil restrictor and the oil line that Lindsey sells, no smoking issues.

What's deceptive is that while this turbo might make full boost later in the rev range, it makes more power at lower boost levels than the K27/6. More efficient blade design means lower intake temps (I think) as well as a less restriction from the turbine side...especially when I realized I had a pretty good leak at the head/exhaust manifold, oops.

I will say that the ball bearings make a different noise when spooling than a plain bearing, a bit of a whine. I'll admit it freaked me out the first few times, fortunately Rogue had warned me. I went with this setup based on his recommendation btw.

Quick Reply: Lindsey Racing Super 53