Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF or MAP Better For Street/Daily Driver Use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Lyon 951
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF or MAP Better For Street/Daily Driver Use?

I need to rebuild my motor soon, and when I put it back together I plan to upgrade the intake system. I'll stick with the K-26 turbo. I'm familiar with the various MAF systems, and have an understanding of the MAP system (Guru) as well. What I need to understand is a) which one is better suited to street use (I basically want a hot daily driver), and b) if they are equal in compatibility for the street, which type of system gives you a greater HP gain? The MAF systems give some information, but I have never seen any actual HP/Torque numbers for the MAP systems.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-03-2003, 04:35 PM
Blueman33
Pro

I have neither. If you search the threads you will see information on the guru MAP kit and the various MAF kits.

If it were me I wouldn't care about numbers, other than weeks to delivery, times I used profanity, and number of Advil consumed in dealing with the mod.

I would choose the system which would make my life easy. I'd rather have an easy reliable 250, than a PITA fidity 270 hp.

Dave Lindsey has suggested for my particular circumstance to get a good exhaust, WG, tight system, and chip that works..........and DRIVE!! So that's where I am.

The past threads on Rennlist will help you a lot IMO.

Good luck.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Sami951
Drifting

Definately do some searches... the MAP system is pretty neat, but it seems like a lot of us are having trouble getting it fine tuned for 100% smooth drivability.

If I'm not entirely mistaken, MAF on the other hand needs to be sized for your particular application, and once you need to measure huge airflows (like with a big-*** turbo), it'll start to exhibit some idle / low load issues. MAP should scale effortlessly to whatever loads you throw at it (Link AFM replacement has a 2.4 bar sensor, ie. it can measure boost pressure up to about 20psi).

Either way, I for one am pretty damn convinced that there are serious gains to be had with freeing up the stock intake plumbing.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:48 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Sami951

If I'm not entirely mistaken, MAF on the other hand needs to be sized for your particular application, and once you need to measure huge airflows (like with a big-*** turbo), it'll start to exhibit some idle / low load issues. MAP should scale effortlessly to whatever loads you throw at it (Link AFM replacement has a 2.4 bar sensor, ie. it can measure boost pressure up to about 20psi).

I the MAF is sized and tuned correctly, you should have no IDLE or HESITATION problems..
Old 11-03-2003, 04:52 PM
'86 944 turbo
Burning Brakes

Whats easier to tune a MAP or a MAF and which is more user friendly.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:08 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just posted my MAP based dyno charts in another thread. My perspective is that once you start changing engine management stuff you will almost inevitably have to do some tweaking to get things right because we all modify our cars slightly differently and the tuners cant really put out a plug and play kit that is perfectly matched to everyones car/setup. If your not a hands on kind of person then it will be more important to find a company that has the level of customer support you need. If you can figure stuff out & tune for yourself then you have more options for hardware choices. In your budget make sure you allow yourself some $$ to cover tuning or you will probably have driveability issues. Alternatively invest some $$ in getting the instrumentation you need to do some tuning or datalogging yourself.

My .02
Old 11-03-2003, 05:53 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Having played with both, and mastered none (yet), I would be a poor person to give advice. Having said that, there are a couple of things I can contribute to the discussion. First, what OZ951 said is dead on, support is going to be the ultimate key to success. Make sure you get a good comfort level with whomever you are planning on going with before laying out the cash, and reading Rennlist is an excellent way to see who is on top of their game.

Secondly, how much changing are you planning on doing to your system? Both MAF and MAP offer tuneability to varying degrees, so I don't think either will rule themselves out on that score, but think about it as a system-wide program, as continual changes to your car will require continual tuning. At first, it appeared that the LINK system would have an edge there, but after playing with it, I am not so sure. Link is certainly more complex to tune and offers more parameters, but I don't think that in and of itself is a real advantage, unless you have the means to take advantage of it, which I don't think most of us do. The PowerPerfect MAF tuneability fits my needs just fine.

I have experienced the off idle stumble of the MAP system first hand, and to be honest, it would drive me crazy if I had to put up with it over time. I can't honestly tell you that its an inherent problem with the MAP, altho I have been told that enough to think there is some merit to the argument. I didn't experience the same problems with the MAF system, and I am personally more comfortable with MAF, so I think that will be the ultimate direction I go with.

Regards,
Old 11-03-2003, 06:04 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Go with Vitesse racing' MAF!! There stage 2 MAF kit put's out 417 rwhp for around 3 k! I haven't heard or read a bad thing about Vitesse's product's! It seem's that they have a superior product, backed up by excellent customer service and endless technical support! I'm currently saving up for a stage 2 kit!!! Good luck!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:14 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Having owned the MAP Link system since July, I have to agree that the off idle stumble does drive me crazy and it doesn't seem that the "fix" is coming anytime soon. As a daily driver, my car and I spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic. I purchased the MAP mainly because I intend to upgarde my car in stages as I can afford it. I will continue my upgrades (head, and then stroker to 2.8). When I am done FAST951 is getting my business. I have read only good news about his kits, service, and advice. Moreover, he responds quickly. Lindsey is great too. Good Luck
Old 11-03-2003, 06:48 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Unless you go full standalone with MAP and TPS, go with MAF. Especially for a daily driver, solo MAP has drivability issues that have been widely experienced on here.

Sam
Old 11-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Lyon 951
Track Day

jsonnen,

I've never heard of Vitesse Racing, and a quick internet search didn't turn anything up. Do you have any contact info? Also...417 at the rear wheels may be more than either me or my transmission could handle! I did say daily driver!
Old 11-03-2003, 07:00 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Try www.vitesseracing.com

There are different stages... HP/TQ are nice to have, however you don't have to push the limit daily

Most customers with Stage 2 drive their cars on the street without a problem.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:03 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Lyon the address is www.vitesseracing.com , also they offer a stage 1 kit
that gives you 337 rwhp for around $2500!! If you don't launch hard, and
do burnouts, you should be ok! Also if you go with stage 2, you can always turn the boost down for daily driving! Just think you could pull a 996 twinturbo in your 15 year old 951!!!! Stage 2 !!!
Old 11-03-2003, 07:06 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Stage 1 will do much more than 337rwhp.. It's 337 at 17psi.. You can go few more PSIs..
Old 11-03-2003, 07:14 PM
'86 944 turbo
Burning Brakes

fast951 why doesn't your kits include fuel injucters? Can the stock wastegate hold more then 17PSI ?

Quick Reply: MAF or MAP Better For Street/Daily Driver Use?