944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Holset HX35 944 turbine

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017 | 08:26 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

anyone with dyno numbers on this turbo setup?Im inclined to buy one, but also have a first gen VR stage 2 turbo thats sitting waiting to be rebuilt. Interested to see numbers on a 2.5L. Much Appreciated.
Old 05-16-2017 | 11:26 PM
TimsTurbos
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well, Im waiting for dyno sheets on alot of these turbos. But, I can help you on the rebuild of your turbos also.
Old 06-27-2017 | 07:57 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

any uppdates on dyno sheets and hp numbers?

Im considering a Holset HX35 super.

Just removed my old Vitesse stage 2 turbo.
Old 06-27-2017 | 10:30 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

HX35 Super with regular non-divided turbine housing? I would strongly recommend using 12cm2 divided turbine and fabricate custom x-over pipe. Big improvement in spool and more power due to less backpressure.
Old 06-27-2017 | 10:32 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Raceboy
HX35 Super with regular non-divided turbine housing? I would strongly recommend using 12cm2 divided turbine and fabricate custom x-over pipe. Big improvement in spool and more power due to less backpressure.
I haven`s decided yet, im building a new crossover, new WG etc if i have to.

But i want numbers! Spool time and HP..
Old 10-15-2017 | 12:59 AM
Portly
Instructor

Now that I actually have the car up-and-running, I figure it's time for a follow-up post. First, regarding fitment, there did end up being a couple challenges. The coolant pipe had to be bent a little bit to get around the compressor housing, which I did by providing some pressure against the pipe until I got it properly aligned. This probably isn't the recommended way to handle this, but so far I'm not having any issues. Second (and more time-consuming), the throttle return spring bracket needed to be modified to clear the compressor housing. I ended up grinding the bracket thinner, doing the counter-sunk screw mod, even grinding a bit off the top of one screw head - and lastly, filing a bit of material off the top of the compressor housing. This finally created enough clearance, though it's still completely snug.

Car details: 2.5L, OBX headers (NOT a performance upgrade, but better than the leaking stock headers that were on there), stock downpipe enlarged to 3" prior to the cat, with a 3" high-flow catalyst and remaining exhaust, and VEMS for engine management. Possible/known issues: Slight boost leak from the IAC. Not aware of any exhaust leaks. Boost control is being done with a Tial MVS with a 14.5 psi spring combo - I am not using any boost control solenoid. This setup is slightly sub-optimal for the standard "1 bar of boost" test, because the wastegate will be bleeding boost as it approaches this number. If I used a stiffer spring set for a higher pressure, I might reduce my spool-up time a tiny bit.

So, results: 3rd gear pull, from 2200 rpm, yields 1 bar of boost at approximately 3550 rpm. The same thing done in 5th gear achieves 1 bar at 2800 rpm. This is obviously not the world's quickest spooling turbo. The car is pretty driveable off-boost, thanks to the VEMS setup, but if you mash the gas from lower engine speeds, be prepared to wait a bit.

_Jeff
Old 12-23-2019 | 12:35 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Any place you can buy a ready holset for the 944?
Old 12-26-2019 | 04:47 AM
bimmen325
Racer

Originally Posted by ealoken
Any place you can buy a ready holset for the 944?
I just recently purchased an Ultra-spool from Tim, it's supposed to be a direct fit.

Quick Reply: Holset HX35 944 turbine