Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

cv axle question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 12:34 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cv axle question

Ive been through 2 pairs of cardone cv axles recently. With both of them, the outer part of the cv axle simply either pulled off or pushed off the inner part, seperating the guts. Is this the way they are supposed to be? Ive put it back together reversing the cv knuckle around and what not but i can make it where you can't quite pull it apart, but if you push it inward it will slide off, or if i make it the other way vice versa. Shouldn't these be machined where at the maximum travel points it stops? Are these axles just bad quality? It kind of stinks when the tow truck driver knows me by name because i have to get towed whenever i hit a pothole and the shaft pushes or pulls apart.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:53 AM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles before they broke? Usually I spent time threading in cv bolts that backed out until finding stage 8. Right now I am using these which are at 20k miles.. http://www.allzim.com/store/924-944-.../axle-assembly
Old 11-27-2016, 02:01 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

About 5 miles. But they didn't exactly break just pull apart and ***** fall out of cage and it all comes loose.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:54 AM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the vehicle model year and part #'s by the manufacturer.. cardone. This might help to determine what's going on there. Did you inspect the transaxle mount for play or rather the rear drive train for abnormal movement including suspension?
Old 11-27-2016, 03:28 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

I purchased one of these from the local foriegn parts dealer, specific to my car, then when that one came apart purchased another from napa. They were both identical both from cardone. Both did the same thing. Because of this i decided to check my tranny mount i was thinking maybe the tranny eas moving and pulled the axle apart. Tranny mount was fine i decided to reinforce it while i had it out. I think these axles are just bad quality.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:18 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

wonder if the parts you are getting are missing the snap ring that holds the ***** in place.
hitting even the biggest of potholes should not break axles because the axle movement is limited by the trailing arm movement, which is limited by the shock extension.

you were right to suspect your trans mount - on all 1985.5-1995 944/968 they need to be upgraded to the semi-solid urethane mod.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:22 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Yeah i did the semi solid mod. They have the snap things its just the outer part. of the joint would push inward and come off the knuckle and then ***** would fall out of cage.

Quick Reply: cv axle question