Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Crossover pipe heat shield rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 03:15 PM
dnwong
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossover pipe heat shield rattle

There is a heat shield around the crossover pipe and its loose. There is also something white between the shield and the pipe inside (abestos?). Is it supposed to be loose? Otherwise how is it secured? It might be the cause of a rattle I have been trying to chase down when starting to accelerating from stop.
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You have found a common rattle on the 951. It's tack welded from the factory but they seem to always crack just outside of the weld on the shield side. I believe that's the weakest part of the metal is just outside a weld. Anyways I believe it is asbestos so don't breath it in. I removed my heat shields and painted ceramic coating on them. Jet coating or anything heat coating works well. If you remove the heat shield under the oil pan consider wrapping it because you don't want the boil your engine oil. Also I would recommend you spray the oil pan itself with a heat coating to help.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:15 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,070 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Are there common rattles INSIDE one muffler? I get s rattle only when warned up and only on passenger side. I can hit it with my hand and it rattles, but only one muffler.

Fixable or must muffler be replaced?
Old 11-18-2017, 09:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Are there common rattles INSIDE one muffler? I get s rattle only when warned up and only on passenger side. I can hit it with my hand and it rattles, but only one muffler.

Fixable or must muffler be replaced?
i had a crazy rattle like rocks in a can when warmed up, turned out to be chunks of the catalyst matrix had broken free and got stuck in the muffler case. Had to pull the muffler and bang it on the lawn to get them out
Old 11-18-2017, 10:56 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,070 Likes on 1,764 Posts

So you were able to get it all out and reuse the muffler? mine sounds like something is rattling around inside passenger side muffler. It rattles only at idle when warned up.

Quick Reply: Crossover pipe heat shield rattle