Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Grundy insurance anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 09:27 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Grundy insurance anyone?

Anyone using Grundy for insurance? Comments and experiences?

Grundy provides collector car insurance for agreed value of car, limited to pleasure use and cars must be garaged. Quote I got today would reduce my annual premium substantially over standard State Farm insurance. Anyone have experience with them?

thanks

Jeff
Old 11-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Brett
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to get insurance with them but Im not old enough (22) you have to be 25 But I do know they run an ad on speedchannel on tv and they are supposed to be a good company.
Old 11-01-2003, 03:41 PM
Blueman33
Pro

what mileage are you limited to?
Old 11-01-2003, 05:04 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

No mileage limit. But the car cannot be a daily driver, only for pleasure use and you need to have another car, oh and it has to be garaged.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:48 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also tried with them. They basically wanted me to not drive the car. I mentioned that it may be taken to the store or out to dinner. They said "ummm no". I think they just want you driving it to shows and stuff like that.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:34 PM
Scott M.
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

I have 7 of my 15 cars w/ them.

They do have good prices...and they do stress that the car should ONLY be driven to/from shows or on the rare Sunday drive. No daily pimpin' around stuff.

I tagged a deer w/ my 911 while on the way to the Hershey swap in April. The claims lady had to ask me 3 times where I was headed, almost like she didn't believe me. Needless to say, the check was cut promptly and w/o hassle.

They did give me gruff over the value of my stroked 93 928 GTS. Had to go thru 3 underwrites to finally get what I wanted. I kindly mentioned the 'volume' of cars I have w/ them. Funny, all was cool after that.

Scott
Old 11-02-2003, 12:25 AM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

15 cars!
Jeepers
Old 11-02-2003, 08:02 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Well I got another email from them and they said that since i will use it for 3 or 4 driving events every year that they cannont insure it. Oh well teh price is low for a reason, they really want to limit their risk and that is what you pay for, if you have a Scott M situation then it works, us mere mortals have to stick with the regular suspects.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:10 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

I am looking into Leland West through PCA (they are also a Rennlist sponsor.) They quoted me around $550 a year for $500 deductable and full glass ($0 ded. on the glass if you go through Safelite.) That was with a 5000 mile/year limit. To qualify you must have a 10yo or newer 'daily driver' and you cannot use the car they insure for work. You must also keep the car in a locked garage. I doubt they can give you a 5000 mile limit and not expect you to use the car for stuff (just not driving to work every day.)
The mileage limit is OK with me as I split my driving between my cars and my bad-weather-and-hauling-stuff van. If I can work it out with Leland-West I'll save $1200 a year and have slightly better coverage.

I plan to give them a try but they need to see a copy of my PCA membership card which I have not received yet.

A friend of mine who has some classic British cars uses Haggerty insurance through a local independant agent. That might also be an option.

-Joel.

almost forgot the URL:

http://lelandwest.com/911.cfm

Quick Reply: Grundy insurance anyone?