Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

88 951 cuts out on hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 04:38 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Have a smoke while someone else tests it? That's my favorite!

I kid... I kid...
+1...
Tim at SFR, when checking 951s for air leaks would lite a cigarette, take a deep draw and exhale the smoke into the J boot after the AFM. He had a cap on the J-boot with an 1/8" nipple that had a hose attached to it. After filling the system with second hand smoke he then hit it with compressed air and looked for leaks. Worked every time according to Tim.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:42 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bw993
+1...
Tim at SFR, when checking 951s for air leaks would lite a cigarette, take a deep draw and exhale the smoke into the J boot after the AFM. He had a cap on the J-boot with an 1/8" nipple that had a hose attached to it. After filling the system with second hand smoke he then hit it with compressed air and looked for leaks. Worked every time according to Tim.
By the time I blew enough smoke in there I'd be up in the kitchen rooting around for salt and vinegar kettle chips.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:33 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

No turbo authority (so don't shoot Lart!!) ... but I had this very similar symptoms on an S2 and it was a +ve to earth short that only occurred under acceleration. Battery was not clamped properly and +ve terminal was tilting and touching the chassis under acceleration ... which caused everything to die and then revive the moment the acceleration was cut. Simple and stupid, but took a while to find.

My excuse is that batteries are buried in the boot on RHD cars
Old 10-18-2016, 10:59 PM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jherriott
I had this exact same issue at one time. As soon as boost started it was like someone slammed on the brakes, not fun.

It ended up being a vacuum line disconnected right behind/under the Air-Flow meter box.
Ditto - same happened to me.

Felt like you were hitting a brick wall. The overboost up until that point was nice though
Old 10-22-2016, 10:02 PM
sdrake
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little preasure and some soapy water and bubbles everywhere.
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2016, 10:52 AM
sdrake
Advanced

Well, I'm still stuck here. I replaced the cycling valve and all of the vacuum lines and clamps, even replaced the banjo bolts.

Car is still dead lethargic when first started and has the over-boost (falls on it's face) issues under moderately hard acceleration.

Any additional thoughts?

thanks folks
Old 11-13-2016, 04:45 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sdrake
Car is stock with the exception of an auto authority chip and boost banjo.
Scot, do us a favor and list all parts that have been [recently] replaced.

How old is the fuel pump? Clean filter? Clean wiring/connections? How old is the FPR?

At what reading on the in dash boost gauge does your issue present itself...0.8, 0.9, 1.0 bar? Do you have a mechanical boost gauge? If not, suggest you install one.

Suggest attaching a pressure gauge to the rail and spending some diagnostic time on a dyno, with an exhaust gas analyzer in the tail pipe, to verify fuel pressure under load and AFR across the RPM range/power band.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:54 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked the vacuum line connection at the wastegate? It can easily be overlooked when checking all the lines in the engine bay from above.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:22 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start with Vac Line routing as mentioned. I'd put a stock chip in over Autothority. Have a spare KLR?
Old 11-23-2016, 12:20 PM
Rando944
2nd Gear

I had the exact same symptoms. Problem turned out to be a leaky hose exiting the intercooler. Cracked on the bottom, so it was hard to discover until the hose was off. Clark's Garage said these symptoms are caused by a vacuum/boost leak, and he was right.

Quick Reply: 88 951 cuts out on hard acceleration