Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bolt on Garrett or New Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 08:08 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

There's also opinions that the #8 hot side is a mismatch for the T04 compressor, like you say it needs to be run to decide really.

Last edited by blade7; 10-13-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:21 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
There's also opinions that the #8 hot side is a mismatch for the T04 compressor, like you say it needs to be run to decide really.
Right... well, that's what people would say who suggest it's only for a 3L build. I don't think Lindsey has released a compressor map for the S61, but it's supposedly T04 with some other compressor wheel installed. There are some maps floating around that are supposedly close, and they suggest that to hit the max efficiency island on the compressor you need to be right around 15psi, and to hit the big end of the HP numbers for that turbo you need a larger displacement engine IF you're going to get on the center island (15psi).... of some random chart that supposedly corresponds to it. Once you start talking larger displacement you can start talking #10 hotside. So connecting the dots, larger displacement T04 would be a mismatch with a #8. There are several dyno charts on Lindsey's site that are 2.5 liter engines beyond 15psi, so, who knows. I'm not trying to say these are the best turbos out there, but I do like the service I've gotten from Lindsey, and my S61 8-3 does exactly what he said it would do.

Again, I let Lindsey spec the size for me. Hopefully this winter I can get it on the dyno!
Old 10-14-2016, 02:42 AM
bradthebold
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The t04e 50 trim garrett w/stage 3 turbine seems like the most liked 'older' new turbo. The GTX30 looks awesome, but expensive to fit and likes more rpm and psi than our engines do.

The vitesse stage 3rx with its billet wheel is looking like the front runner for me so far for power, spool, and ease of install, whatever turbo that is. Not quite the power I was looking for based on his claims on pump, but probably the best I'll get.

My biggest concern is if I want to switch to a non-vitesse turbo in the future. Is it a PIA to do using his MAF? And will I be forced into buying his piggyback as part of the kit? Not sure that would be necessary for me.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:07 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

EFR is nice tech-wise.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:33 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bradthebold
The t04e 50 trim garrett w/stage 3 turbine seems like the most liked 'older' new turbo. The GTX30 looks awesome, but expensive to fit and likes more rpm and psi than our engines do.

The vitesse stage 3rx with its billet wheel is looking like the front runner for me so far for power, spool, and ease of install, whatever turbo that is. Not quite the power I was looking for based on his claims on pump, but probably the best I'll get.

My biggest concern is if I want to switch to a non-vitesse turbo in the future. Is it a PIA to do using his MAF? And will I be forced into buying his piggyback as part of the kit? Not sure that would be necessary for me.
My understanding is the MAF and optional piggyback work with anything you have. John could give you the correct answer, but I think that is what you'll hear. The piggyback is described as optional and a way to dial in the last 5% of the out-of-box tune. He has a long track record with the product and it is known for good idle, safety (to the engine), and tuning. I haven't used his product (or any maf) as I kick the can on changes for years it seems, but frequently go down rennlist ratholes researching various things. I've had a new tial on the shelf for at least two years now, and have an EBC wired up about as long. Maybe I'll get that project tied off this winter.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:21 AM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Right... well, that's what people would say who suggest it's only for a 3L build. I don't think Lindsey has released a compressor map for the S61, but it's supposedly T04 with some other compressor wheel installed.
The LR 61-10 I have may have been specced for a 3.2 that didn't happen. I'm not sure how a #10 hotside with a ST5 wheel would compare to a #8 ST3 for response.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:43 AM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

EFR is twin scroll , serious mods lol

I am running a true Garrett gt30r (3076)
Old 10-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bradthebold

Why would it be a pain with that MAF? You wont touch the electronics and the maf will self adjust to any airflow it sees regardless of turbo. You dont NEED the PB but nice to have
Old 10-15-2016, 12:09 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My opinion on bolt-on vs garrett route is if you have access to the tools/skills necessary to fab exhaust, go for the garrett. I have a GT30, and it's great. While I'm contemplating swapping the .82 hotside for a .62 next year, this turbo is a blast all-in-all. I've always thought the stock header/crossover/downpipe system is complete crap. Now I have a system that I love, and is functionally far superior.

Alternatively, if I were to go the bolt-on route, I would most likely go with Vitesse. IMHO, you can't really beat the 'complete' bolt-on packages they offer.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:26 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by kev951
EFR is twin scroll , serious mods lol

I am running a true Garrett gt30r (3076)
There are single scroll housings too but probably best to go twin
Old 10-15-2016, 10:46 AM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my LR 53.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:50 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

On a stock-ish 2.5 I would use a GT3076R 0.63 with a full 3" exhaust and control the engine with Raceboy's VEMS PnP. That will be easy to tune (the "black box" aspect of the Vitesse software was for me very frustrating), you won't need to slaughter your engine harness, the GT turbo will let the engine breathe better up top than any of the T4 hybrid used in a Vitesse kit, and last but not least it should all be cheaper.
I would never waste time again with any of the T4/KKK-style hybrid turbo available.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:55 PM
bradthebold
Instructor

Vitesse's turbo is expensive - $2400 if you subtract the cost of the MAF kit and piggyback from his turbo kit.

SFR's T04E bolt-up GT30 is $1500 and a GTX30 is $2050 and their crossover pipe is $1k, plus oil lines and need to modify water lines I guess. So if you get the easier route, a GT30 and their crossover pipe is similar to vitesse.

For the price, Vitesse looks like the easiest option. If I could easily mount and a plumb a GT(X)30 for within ~$1k of that, that would be tempting.

I don't know if the vitesse is journal or ball bearing, I sent an email asking, but the billet wheel does widen the price gap with the garretts and is much easier to install. I'm leaning towards vitesse right now.

Last edited by bradthebold; 10-16-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:06 PM
blade7
Drifting

If the OP is in the US an M-Tune and a Lindsey turbo should get close to 350 bhp for a reasonable outlay. A Rogue DME is a bit of a bargain too.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:34 AM
bradthebold
Instructor

Any idea what the Vitesse Stage 3 with actually put down with supporting mods? There doesn't seem to be many results. The website says 310-330whp at 15psi, which is pretty low and should be much more cheaply attained with a K27/6. That doesn't mention an exhaust/wastegate though, so if adding that and a couple more psi would crank up the numbers, that would be much better.

The most results that come up are for the old stage 2 that he claimed would make 410whp at 20psi. If they make 12-15whp per psi like he says, that would be 335-360whp at 15psi, though there was big contention it could do that without an exhaust on a stock engine. Did the old stage 2 flow as much or more than a current stage 3, or why are the claimed stage 3 power numbers much lower now? Are they more realistic without an exhaust?

And a 13 year old stage 3 made 380-390hp on 18-19psi, on 100 octane though. Still less than that stage 2 claim on pump.

Quick Reply: Bolt on Garrett or New Tech?