Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vems PnP Engine Management

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It measures 160x110x50mm. It is thicker than most but width+length is not big at all.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

about the size of a large (american) sandwich...

it has a smaller footprint than the motronic DME.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:28 PM
Northern_aqs
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank fully I haven't had any passengers with size 21 shoes so it hasn't been an issue.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:34 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

If you hook up afresh tiny to it, what info can it display? I had vems afresh tiny and loved how powerful it is for a little gage.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:41 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Voith
If you hook up afresh tiny to it, what info can it display? I had vems afresh tiny and loved how powerful it is for a little gage.
You can display almost everything VEMS itself has over the AIM protocol (VEMS round can be used as AIM device only also).
Old 10-17-2016, 06:15 PM
86ninefive1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for my ignorance but, what is afresh tiny?
Old 10-17-2016, 07:28 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 86ninefive1
Sorry for my ignorance but, what is afresh tiny?

http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page=AfreshTiny
Old 12-17-2016, 01:47 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

From the pictures Northern_aqs posted it looks like the wideband plugs right into the VEMS - so although I already have a wideband that would work with the system I might have to install a 2nd wideband or is there a way to split the signal so as to keep the car just needing 1 WB?

Where are people that go standalone or VEMS getting the j-pipe / intake pipes from? I guess it could be made but Im not that crafty (AOS connection, diverter valve, etc..) if anyone has one laying around let me know..I guess I could call Tim @ SFR.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:38 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

People use different solutions: either custom pipe with some cone filter or just hollowed out AFM to retain stock look but still get rid of barn door.

Wideband plugs directly into ECU and it is needed for tuning (autotune), you could run later without it though if you wish. I have it connected but for example I don't have any additional gauge in my 924 (the one with 2.5 16v turbo), I like clean original look.
You could use VEMS AIM display which can display pretty much every engine parameter (lambda, boost, rpm etc) or any other AIM dash/device or Android app over Bluetooth. Many choices.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:10 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern_aqs
I'm running VEMS on my 87 951. The plug and play portion is straight forward but you do need to know what you're doing; it's not just swapping a DME.

My car is a very low mileage (23k miles) example where I wanted to upgrade performance for improved track (DE) and street use while being able to return it to OE spec down the line. As I upgrade, I wanted to not need to dyno tune with every change. I've changed injectors and waste gate so far and am implementing the electronic boost control with the VEMS software.

I've found the VE analyzer Auto Tune feature within VEMS to be very effective and provide a safe tune. If I was going for peak power, I would still visit the dyno, but my plan is to save that for when all upgrades are complete.

I'm very happy with the product and will likely by another VEMS setup for my other P-car (an S). Raceboy knows his stuff and while there is the delay in time zones to get answers sometimes, Raceboy supports his customers after the fact. To that end, as I go along with my car, I'm happy to share my knowledge if anyone has specific questions.

I will disagree with you in regards to the dyno, especially when you do anything to the fuel supply side or the timing on these cars. It is very easy to screw something up when you are not in a controlled environment where you can pay 100% attention to real time parameters while tuning.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:09 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

It may apply to the ECU's that does not have ability to autotune to lambda target perhaps. I have tuned my 2.5 16v turbo exactly like this and it is much more controlled environment that random dyno.
Also you can NEVER get transient fuelling perfect on the dyno for several reasons, first being the fact that load changes on the road in real life and second no dyno can simulate the vacuum behind the car that sucks exhaust gases out and thus increases engine VE (the higher the speed the bigger the effect).
And on the dyno you cannot pay attention to every parameter, you can maybe focus on 2-3 things at a time and that's it. There's logging for that.
"These cars" are NOTHING special, just usual 4bangers with weakish alusil cylinders.

Quick Reply: Vems PnP Engine Management