Tube front end?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 07:12 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tube front end?

First off, i'm not worried about the cost. Also i'm not entering "specific race rule events"

I'm thinking of cutting the front section just past the crossmember and from of the wheel tubs and extending it with aluminium tubes so i can remove the whole front.

The front is a little different than out 951's (see in photo) the biggest issue is the front end how it is pretty much blocking every bit of airflow except the bottom. So i was thinking of cutting it and going tube from the end of the wheel tubs to the front bumper. and possibly give me more space.

worth doing? thoughts?

Name:  20160925_193332_1.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  197.1 KB

Name:  20161010_203335.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  430.7 KB

Old 10-10-2016, 12:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

I did this...it's amazing how much more space there is without the sheet metal in the way.

I'll have to dig for photos...but mine got cut off just in front of the crossmember. New frame rails made from boxed ~14 gauge steel. Rad frame and "end brace between the bumper shocks" are fabricated tubular steel.

From the frame rails to the inner fenders I have a single small piece of angle just to tie them together so the fenders don't flap in the breeze.

The main benefit which will be realized again hopefully soon is that I can pull the front bumper + unbolt the radiator frame in about 10 minutes and pull the engine out the front. No more clutch spline alignment issues or things getting hung up for me...

All that said...I don't think there's any real need to cut anything up purely for airflow reasons.
Sure, the stock arrangement looks like it is blocking but it is actually very effective via proper ducting. I only did mine that way for crash repair.

But if you need the space for a FMIC or something then it's easier to just cut the metal between the bumper shocks and fabricate a new front brace thing out of tube.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:45 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well i'm planning to use the 951 factory intercooler (modded) and if you notice the front end photo, I'll be needing to do more than just cut the front section. I'll need to first take off the spot welds to remove the nose. Then basically cut all of that area off + the front.
So may as well start fresh...

Also gaining space inside the bay is another thing. If i could do it from the firewall, that would be so much better, as making headers fit inside that area with the steering shaft would be a little easier.

I want to have a similar turbo config as a 951 as i've seen having the turbo in front of the engine to me is not viable. (blocks the belts and front of the engine)

Quick Reply: Tube front end?