Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

top speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 02:53 PM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Chas
...and THAT is why I do not want your car!!

I would be in jail within 48 hours
try 24 hrs..
Old 10-29-2003, 03:36 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

160mph indicated was my top. The car was still pulling, but I was quickly running out of road. 140 indicated a dozen or so times. And this was in the 6 months I owned that particular car.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:52 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that have hit the high speeds, i.e. 120+ did you knotice any shakes or shimmies???

I do and was told it is very expensive to get the type of wheel/tire balance needed to be stable for high speed runs.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:13 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Well, I've been to 110mph+ quite a few times and 120mph+ a lesser number of times and it's been very rock solid for me. What's scarier to me is the fact that I can get to those speeds so dang fast.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:07 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Totally solid. I took my hands off the wheel, once, in the 130's, for a couple of seconds. Then realised how stupid that was. After that I kept at least one hand on at high speed.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:30 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Hate to be the source of some pessimistic info, but our speedos read on the average about 6% too high (indicated 100; actual 94). This is a cold hard fact! Taller than stock tires will reduce this percentage. At 26" diameter the speedo is almost right on. And, like Robby said, you must mentally always take a little bit off your diameter because its less sitting on the ground. If that wasn't the case you'd hardly have a contact patch.I know this is a bit nit-picky, but it's the only way you get somewhat true top speeds without lying to yourself.
DFastest, Im right on your heels with actual top speed
Old 10-29-2003, 07:31 PM
'bryan'
Advanced

Whats this with 40 over being grounds for jail time?! I hope thats only in IL. I'm sure it varies from state to state, but I wonder what it is over here in WV? Being as I haven't been driving that long, the fastest I've done is about 105 on open highway, and about 95-100 on a two lane, aka 55 mph road.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:29 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Actually the situation here wouldn't really matter with diameter beyond simply calculating the circumference of the tire. No matter if you flatten it out or if you make a perfect circle with it, the distance that it travels to roll one circumference won't change. The overinflation or heat build up in a tire that could cause that would actually increase the true diameter at speed and thus cause the distance it takes for the tire to roll one circumference to grow a couple of percent, which actually could change the rolling distance.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:31 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Yes bryan, there are several states with laws that state that above a certain speed that you are supposed to be arrested rather than given a ticket. Also in several states now (FL and AZ I believe included) it is now a felony for street racing, which means prison time, usually more than a year.

In fact, I think it was Connecticut that was talked about sometime back that said if caught above a certain speed you were to be arrested, your license cut up and your car set on fire!!!!!! Yikes!!!!!
Old 10-30-2003, 12:41 AM
silicondigital
User

Does anyone know if the 5th gear on a 951 can be subed in for the 6th gear in a 968 tranny? If not how can i make 6th gear taller? I have a 968, 951, and 944 tranny all sitting and im trying to decide if the 968 or 951 trans is best to use in my 951 engined' 968. The top gear on the 968 trans is too short, 951 perfect but you lose a gear.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:18 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The interesting tire dimension is height from the road to the wheel center, which should be the same as the one-revolution rolling distance divided by 2*PI. The biggest factor for tire growth is the centrifugal force, for example take a look at top fuel dragsters at burnout. Their tires grow at least a couple of inches. For steel belted radial tires the effect is probably minimal though.

A very convenient and accurate top speed measurement can be done with a handheld GPS device from Garmin or Magellan, which automatically saves the top speed.

Unfortunately I have no numbers to brag about, except maybe 130mph at Willow Springs, but no doubt, the car likes speed (me too).
Old 10-30-2003, 03:29 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Turbo Tommy, etc- yeah these cars normally DO show a little high- mine appears to be VERY accurate though- I've been past all kinds of those radar signs & I'm always pretty much right on- a Turbo S w/24.58RD (Regular Turbo is 24.86 & 968 17's are 25.03") get's ~26.1mph/1000rpm- anyone should be able to calculate their's by checking their speed at say, 3200 & doubling the speed to get the given speed at 6400 redline, BUT- MY car is weird- I've never been able to see a radar sign at 80 to check, but it shows ~3400rpm @ 80- that's ~23.5/1000- at 50, I'm running almost 2000rpms & by 4000rpms, I'm @ ~100 again- not sure how this works, but... at any rate, I've seen as high as 127 on radar signs & my speedo was almost to the 130 mark- well, the signs only show 27, but.... Anyway- at almost 160, I was turning almost a perfect 6000rpms... so to get 195 or so w/stock gearing w/out breaking redline would take 29" tires- that's pretty tall- let's see- 335/30/21's I still don't like to dispute the claims of other's unless they're just completely outlandish- in the case of Dfastest, I'm SURE his car would have no trouble breaking 200 if hitting the right point in the right gear, etc- I'd say if it were optimized for top speed, he could get somewhere b/t 205 to 210 w/that much HP...

As for how the car's handle at those speeds- many people on this list have become irritated w/some of the negative comments I've made about these cars- I tell it like it is- they DO have some bad points- they are NOT the holy grail that many on this list would have you believe- I've had a LOT of issues w/mine & there are a lot of modern cars out that can hang w/us, BUT- I'm glad to admit that my car feels EXCELLENT at high speeds- I love the way the steering feels & the balance, etc- I've broken 120 I don't know how many times- I meana BUNCH, although many times I only break it for a few seconds & then come back down, but, I've had my moments. I've been above 150 at least 3 seperate times- the time I almost hit 160 was when I stupidly decided to pick on an Acura Legend- on the freeway ~5AM- I was passing a rig @ ~70mph & slowly accelerating- I notice in my rearview that a car is coming up FAST- at LEAST 110- I give it some more gas & get over in front of the rig as fast as possible- the car get's VERY close- nearly brushes me as he passes- pissed me off, as I think he did it on purpose- he had probably hit his brakes slightly, but was still doing at least 100 when he went by & my speed was probably up to ~75- I noticed it was a late model Legend- one of the very last years made- they were decent cars, but, I was beside him by the time I grabbed 5th at ~130- slowed down ~145 to let him catch up, then did it again- he got up to ~140- I was pretty impressed by that, actually, but, that second time, I hit almost 160 @ ~6000rpms- the fastest I've had it- I was looking at the speedo & had decided to go ahead & hit 160 as I knew I was only another second or two away, but, all the sudden, I realized that there was a curve coming up- it was still dark & I had JUST rolled into a mild patch of fog so I let off quickly & realized that the curve was closer than I thought- not much of a curve @ 70 or 80, but @ ~155... So, I stabbed the brakes HARD t try to scrub off some speed- ABS hit for an instant & I realized that I was right at the entrance- I let off the brakes & hit the gas a tiny bit to try to balance out before pulling hard to the left to try to hang it out- was probably down to ~120 or so- I hit the curve hard enough to slide, just BARELY, but all four wheels let loose a TINY bit- it got the blood pumping- there was an instant there where I thought I had bought the farm- freaked me out- I've paid a little more attention to the car since- what impressed me most though was the balance, considering the line I took & the immediacy of the situation, etc, PLUS, the worst part, is the susp was pretty shot & the car had ~140k on it- the friend who was w/me said it didn't really scare him b/c he thought I knew where I was- he said it felt like I had complete control & he didn't realize that the turn had snuck up on me- the car made me look good that time- it was very neutral & held well- I don't like to push my luck though & feel VERY lucky the situation turned out the way it did, but.... the car does WELL at high speeds- doesn't feel like it floats at all, the steering is excellent, etc....

As for substituting gears- I was told by Powerhaus II that a 968 gear will NOT go into a 951, or vice versa- you CAN get custom gears made, but, they get kind of pricey- I think they run ~$900/ea for the 968... The 968 tranny is a stronger tranny- it's slightly heavier too, but the weight is low & toward the rear of course- I hate that gearing- I don't know what the hell Porsche ewas thinking- it SHOULD have been perfect- slightly closer gears all the way up w/6th hitting 180- the best of both worlds... Anyway, the 951 WILL take gears from NA 944's- the 951 5th is .83- the S2 has a .78 I believe & the 944NA from several years had a .72- w/stock RD, the S2 5th w/951FD would give you ~181 @ 6400 & the NA would hit ~192- I'm looking for an S2 5th right now, as I think it would be a nice comprimise- wouldn't be so tall as to REALLY slow you down, but STILL gives ~13-14mph more top end- ~300rwhp should be able to take advantage of it- the NA would just leave too much of a hole b/t 4th & 5th I'm afraid, & to get it right, you'd have to change a few gears- probably better to change the FD & get an S2 5th- I just think the stock 4th to 5th jump is a hair close- go to something like a 3.20 (from 3.38) maybe(?). Not sure if it would be possible or not though w/out LOT'S-O-$....
Old 10-30-2003, 10:48 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by toddk911
Michelle:

Hello from FL. I used to work for Moss Codilis here in Orlando, which also has affiliate firms in IL. Are you familiar with Ernie Codilis??? I believe it is Codilis & Associates in IL. Mostly real estate law, foreclosure, bk, etc.
Never heard of them, but I've always done criminal work. What do you do?
Old 10-30-2003, 10:51 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by DFASTEST951
Never thought about that. I had the tires set at 28 psi to compensate for heat during the run. I run SO2's. Great tires.
Michelle, I was just wondering as I get a ticket(I shouldn't be telling you this) on average of once a month, sometimes twice. Have a great lawyer. Not a mark on my record in the last five years. Got arrested once for speeding though it was about 7 years ago. I just know in WI, when I got a ticket, it stuck with me and as far as I know, IL is the same. So, if and when I make it back, I'd like to know....just in case I have to look you up...if it's the same and if you can help.
I'm assuming "stuck with with you" means it went on your home state driving record. That's something that is determined b/t states. You could just call the Sec of State or DMV to see what states reciprocate. I'd be happy to help, but I hope the situation never arises
Old 10-30-2003, 11:03 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Robby
realized that the curve was closer than I thought- not much of a curve @ 70 or 80, but @ ~155... So, I stabbed the brakes HARD t try to scrub off some speed ..
"Stabbing" the brakes at 155?

Take some track lessons, and slow down.

Quick Reply: top speed