Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Advice needed on coolant leak source

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 09:38 PM
oi-punx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed on coolant leak source

I've been battling a slow coolant loss over the past year. About 8 months ago I pressurized the system and it showed a slight pressure drop. I tightened a few hose clamps and have continued to add coolant on a monthly basis. Today after a long drive in the mountains and along the coast with the Norcal 944 boys I got home to find coolant dripping off the belly pan at a rate of about 1 drop every 3 seconds. It stopped after about 15 minutes.

Up on jack stands she went. I dropped the belly pan, pressurized to 15 psi and noticed the coolant was dripping from the passenger side front oil pan gasket area onto the sway bar before finally hitting the ground. I could see no coolant hoses under the car that were visibly leaking. I am assuming that the coolant is coming from a faulty waterpump gasket which is directly overhead, but not visible as far as I could tell.

What are the chances my assumptions are correct? I'm also assuming that this should be replaced ASAP if it is indeed the waterpump.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2003, 10:51 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Probably way off base but today while bleeding my cooling system I noticed that the fluid out of the bleed screw rolls down into almost exactly the same spot you are talking about. Probably not your problem but you should put that on your check list.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:54 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the what the waterpump did on my 968 before I had it replaced.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:46 AM
sushinav
Instructor

I just went through and replaced a butload of coolant hoses. I figured they needed it, they were oricginal. The area you mentioned could be at least 4 hoses, waterpump gasket, thermostat housing, bleed screw. Just replace the hoses and the gasket all together. Spend less time in the garage.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:25 PM
oi-punx
Racer

Thanks guys. I think it's definitely coming from the pump. The bleed screw is secured with no visible coolant leaking from the top at all. All visible hoses look dry as well. I'm pretty sure it's the WP gasket. Sounds like it's time for major service.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:09 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Might as well do your belts and seals while you're in there.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:43 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

The small black plastic housing for the supplemental turbo thermostat can warp and leak. If you take the timing belt covers off (easy), you can probably see exactly what is leaking. If you want to get fancy, you can buy that flourescent leak detection stuff. Waterpump r&r is time consuming and expensive. You might want to confirm that it the problem before replacing it. Of course...chances are....

Quick Reply: Advice needed on coolant leak source