Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cam sensor setups

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 10:17 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Cam sensor setups

For those with standalones, what are you running? I've seen a few but am interested in all sorts of setups.

Here's what I have brewing, using 0 232 101 024 from a late 90s VAG:

It sits concentric with the hole for the dizzy rotor, with almost no slop. Here is the inside where you can see the sensor itself:

The sensor reads a spinning disk, which has a window cut in it. This indicates when the camshaft is at a certain point in the cycle.

This is just for demonstration purposes, the cam gear and retainer are not shown. The trigger disk would be bolted onto the end of cam where the dizzy rotor would go.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:59 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

if it all bolts/lines up that's a very clean solution.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:42 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I am running my sync and reference sensors from the place, replaced the distributor cap like you are doing. You're close if you want to see what mine looks like let me know and you can come over and see what I did.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:36 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
if it all bolts/lines up that's a very clean solution.
The mounting ears don't quite line up with the dizzy cap holes. It's close but not enough to get a bolt through. I'm thinking about modifying the ears to match the cover, or just having it tacked in place.

Originally Posted by rlm328
I am running my sync and reference sensors from the place, replaced the distributor cap like you are doing. You're close if you want to see what mine looks like let me know and you can come over and see what I did.
Definitely! I saw your post a while back with the magnets in the gear but I'm interested in seeing it in person. I'll holler at you when I have a day off.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:13 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

you could grind off the little tabs that catch the dizzy cap "prongs", and then use a bolt/nut and a large washer on the inside of the cover to retain the sensor.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:41 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by odonnell
The mounting ears don't quite line up with the dizzy cap holes. It's close but not enough to get a bolt through. I'm thinking about modifying the ears to match the cover, or just having it tacked in place.

Definitely! I saw your post a while back with the magnets in the gear but I'm interested in seeing it in person. I'll holler at you when I have a day off.
I am available at most times, I will also be at TWS at the end of the month.

Quick Reply: Cam sensor setups