Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

would this exposed part of ref/speed sensor wire be a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 05:50 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would this exposed part of ref/speed sensor wire be a problem?

I replaced the speed and reference sensors a few years ago. I recently noticed one of the wires had become exposed. Is this bad? cover with electrical tape and good to go??? After I replaced them I never had a problem with no start or no tach bounce for a few years but have been recently experiencing no start or tach bounce sometimes. the cure is either pushing the connectors together or disconnecting and reconnecting...
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2016, 11:31 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Replace it.

I would also check to see what may have caused the damage to the wire. You may need to route them slightly different in the future
Old 08-19-2016, 02:27 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I would check to see how it got damaged, but I would not stress out too much about replacing them. The speed and reference sensors are not that sensitive, and signal is so incredibly simple.... I would see what happened to cause the damage, tape it up, and see how it goes. If you have a problem, then replace.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:18 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

Is the damage shown on the sensor side or wiring harness side? I doubt that it would cause the signal to be degraded, but if you have to wiggle the connectors to get it working again, then I would think you should consider replacing the wiring harness side. I did that recently, wasn't too hard, probably 3-4 hours if you don't run into any issues.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:31 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

How many tow's do you have left? How much will a tow cost you if you don't have Triple A tow service? Where will you be when it finally fails? What time of day will it fail, how will the weather be that day?? How much is a new sensor, under $100? Is it worth it? That's up to you.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:05 AM
eurojulien
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
How many tow's do you have left? How much will a tow cost you if you don't have Triple A tow service? Where will you be when it finally fails? What time of day will it fail, how will the weather be that day?? How much is a new sensor, under $100? Is it worth it? That's up to you.

Quick Reply: would this exposed part of ref/speed sensor wire be a problem?