Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 09:06 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jace,
Don't worry, You'll see me blowing down the highway this summer

Eyal,
No I didn't even have fun doing that, I knew I was going to hit a tree, all I could do was brace for the impact.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:14 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by WesM951
Adrial,
Yes I asked for a flaming, but didn't expect one so harsh.

Let me restate this turn, It wasn't a 90degree turn, it was a gradual 30degree or less turn. I was in 1st gear, with LSD. I did hit boost and i did expect it to not loose traction. Like I said, my stupidity cost me money.

...You dont always get what you wish for

Like I said, get yourself to an autocross.

Also...you want to at least let the coolant come up to temp before you get on it hard. I prefer to let the oil come up to temp as well (judging by the associated drop in oil pressure). But hey, if you dont want to wait for things to warm up...thats cool...someone will pick up a good fix-er-up after your engine lets go...
Old 10-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, at least your safe... two kids, brothers, i went to high school with were rushing to a dentist appointment through the canyons in a dodge ram a couple months ago, took a turn to fast lost it skidded across the lane and smashed into a tree. the driver came out alright, not horrible injuries, but he killed his brother. Just remember that this didnt happen to you. I guess just a good way to put things in perspective. and depress everyone too. Hey, lesson learned, no biggie right? a couple a bucks and your back on your feet.
~Eyal
Old 10-23-2003, 10:35 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Pick up a copy of "Going Faster" by Skip Barber. WOT in a low speed turn is usually not a good idea as you have found out. Cheaper to read about it than to do it. Too late for you but thanks to you some others can learn from your mistake.

Good luck on the fix, sounds like a hell of a lot of work to me.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:59 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by adrial
...You dont always get what you wish for

Like I said, get yourself to an autocross.

Also...you want to at least let the coolant come up to temp before you get on it hard. I prefer to let the oil come up to temp as well (judging by the associated drop in oil pressure). But hey, if you dont want to wait for things to warm up...thats cool...someone will pick up a good fix-er-up after your engine lets go...
Hey M8,
I know thats what your supposed to do, but once again. My stupidity got the best of me.

Plus i'm not gonna sell my porsche even if I do blow the motor I luv it to much.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:33 PM
K27
Burning Brakes

Really sorry to hear about your car, but hey man don't worry we have all made mistakes. I wrote mine off last May. I learned a lesson that day but hey, I am still here and thats all that matters.
If I can help out with some parts I still have a brand new front bumper cover and some other parts. just email me privately if you need anything. lance.mason@dccnet.com
Good luck
Old 10-24-2003, 12:50 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

K27,
Thanks for begin so kind with the offer, I may just take you up on that.

I got the car home safe, its not quite as bad as I thought. I will only need the driver side fender and header panel. Most likely the front bumper cover also.

I just hope nothing under the hood is to badily damaged. I will know more this weekend when i have time to check it out.

The digi-cam survived I took some pictures but left the usb cord in my car So I have a camera with pictures and no way of getting them off till tomorrow.

Thanks for all the support guys, I really needed it. (and not flaming me to bad )
Old 10-24-2003, 01:02 AM
BCAT
Advanced

Unhappy

It can happen easily. I spun around twice on I 77 in W. Va in a snowstorm back when I just got my car around 1989. I was driving to Fla to show my new purchase to parents and thought I was going to die. Anyway, sorry to see that happen.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:34 AM
87Porsche951
Instructor

I to have spun my car when i was driving and it was a small hill with a blind drop off that tunrs left sharply. I didnt see the corner coming and i braked hard and turned to make the turn and my rear right tire dropped off the road and into lose dirt and i spun out. It was the only time i have ever lost control and was scary *** hell.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:30 AM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I first got my car it had some semi-crappy tires on it. The day I drove it home it was drizzling a little and as I was accelerating up a long, sweeping right hand exit the boost came on and broke the rear tires loose. Didn't spin, but did get to see what sideways looks like. Anyway first upgrade for me was NEW TIRES.

Good news - nobody was hurt and that's what counts.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:30 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wes, we've all had "questionable judgment" behind a Porsche steering wheel... I was on a road trip in Spain last September and averaging 130 mph on the highway in the 951. As I entered a rather abrupt turn I was distracted by my cell phone and didn't brake as much as I should have. Well, I still can't believe how the car stuck to the road, but it did. Largely due to the tires and LSD, but I was lucky.

Personally, your mishap is one of the reasons why I'm reluctant to modify my 951. These cars already have enough power in stock form for the average driver, and I know exactly when the boost will kick in on my stock setup. Definitely later than on a modded car, so I watch it!
Old 10-24-2003, 05:03 PM
mochman
Pro

America's favorite pastime buying expensive european cars and wrecking them. Sucks that you bailed, I've been there.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:21 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Here is what you have all been waiting for... or I thought at least

Don't look like a happy camper do I?

I have plenty more pics those are just a few.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:25 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

that damage isnt too bad, but expensive to fix probably. Well, dont come down on yourself to hard, but LEARN from it. good luck on fixing it.
~Eyal
Old 10-26-2003, 11:58 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

That front bumper doesn't look cracked. I'd take it off right away so it doesn't loose it's shape. The hood can probably be pounded out fairly easily. The fenders will definetly need to be replaced though.

Any news on mechanical damage?

Justin

Quick Reply: Wrecked The P-Car :( Me=Dumbass