Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Useful? PLX device converts narrowband a/f gauge into wideband gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 03:55 PM
gatorbait
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Useful? PLX device converts narrowband a/f gauge into wideband gauge

In my search for a wideband 02 unit, I came across a device which converts an ordinary Autometer narrowband A/F gauge into a wideband display (check out this link: http://www.plxdevices.com/NB_WB_GaugeConv.htm)
The catch is that you also have to get the complete PLX wideband unit ($329) to make this work.

My question to those of you who run an Autometer a/f gauge: Is this device worthwhile, or does the display move around too much to get an accurate reading. You can also get the PLX wideband with a digital display, but a more linear display on the Autometer a/f gauge might be easier to read.

What do you think?
Old 10-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the time you get an Autometer narrowband unit (~$60) and the other unit, ($329) you may as well get a wideband to begin with (Lindsey +$400). I'd rather not have to bodge something together given the consequences if it's wrong.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:05 PM
gatorbait
Instructor

Dave 951M,

Thanks for your feedback, but I didn't explain my question too well.

The PLX is a wideband unit. It sells for $329, and includes the Bosch LSU4 sensor, controller, wiring harness, and the display unit. It outputs a 5v signal for interaction with other devices (such as a datalogger, or piggyback system) and also puts out a narrowband signal so you can run it with your ECU and not have to wire a second sensor bung on your exhaust.

The PLX Autometer converter device that I'm referring to is an option that costs $35 and is in addition to the goodies you get with PLX wideband package. So, the cost of the PLX wideband (which already has a digital display) is $329. Add the gauge converter- $35.00, and throw in a $60 Autometer a/f gauge, and you have a total of $424

By comparison, the Lindsey wideband (UEGO 1000), which has the same features, (except for the gauge conversion option), costs $549.

So, my question is whether or not a wideband display on an Autometer a/f gauge is worth considering, or is it too difficult to read? Also, are the lights on the gauge too annoying?

Last edited by gatorbait; 10-22-2003 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:46 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The one downside I see to the Autometer readout is that there will be no numerical calibration of A/F ratios on the meter scale. You'll have to mentally figure it out as you watch the LED's. Maybe that's not a big deal if you're just looking for a quick visual indication that doesn't need to be super accurate. As long as you can datalog the information from the wideband sensor, that ought to be enough for serious tuning purposes. Also, I don't think the LED lights will be too annoying, at least not nearly as much as on a direct readout from a narrowband sensor where you see lots of dithering across most of the range.

Dumb question: since you could replace your narrowband sensor with the wideband one in this system, does the wideband one fit into the same bung as the narrowband one?
Old 10-22-2003, 07:44 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like what I need. With my new Piggyback system the one item I am missing for optimal tuning is the wideband.
I contacted customer support and have asked if this system will work with a numerical type A/F gauge like the Nordskog M9200 shown at the web link below. If it does I just may by this wideband.
I wouldnt use a gauge with LED's with a wideband. I think that defeats the purpose. LED's are good just to see if you are way out of range but if you have a wideband then you need numbers. http://www.nordskogperformance.net/airfuel.html
Old 10-22-2003, 07:46 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

it might be cool to use the numbers to tune with, then put the display away and just keep the gauge so you know everything's okay.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:54 PM
gatorbait
Instructor

Originally posted by Jake951
since you could replace your narrowband sensor with the wideband one in this system, does the wideband one fit into the same bung as the narrowband one?
John, from what I gather from PLX's website, yes. http://www.plxdevices.com/M-Series_productinfo.htm
Old 10-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to go through all of that we will have the 0-5v meters out within the next few weeks incorporated into our new AF9 board. Thats all that little box they sell does... converts the 0-5v signal into a 0-1v signal that the AF meter can read.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:06 PM
gatorbait
Instructor

Originally posted by blitz951
This sounds like what I need. With my new Piggyback system the one item I am missing for optimal tuning is the wideband.
I contacted customer support and have asked if this system will work with a numerical type A/F gauge like the Nordskog M9200 shown at the web link below. If it does I just may by this wideband.
I wouldnt use a gauge with LED's with a wideband. I think that defeats the purpose. LED's are good just to see if you are way out of range but if you have a wideband then you need numbers. http://www.nordskogperformance.net/airfuel.html
Hey Blitz, I'll bet the two analog Nordskog gauges would work very well if they can be made to display wideband data. Please let us know what you find out from customer support.

At present, though, the only analog wideband a/f gauge that I'm aware of, is the Link gauge, which is very expensive ($325, gauge only).
Old 10-22-2003, 11:38 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a PLX M300 and wideband to narrow band convertor on order. My set will have the M300 displaying widband, the converter supplying a 0-1v signal to a link 2 running in closed loop self tune. I have convertion graphs so I know exactly how a/f ration translates in 0-1v singnal value from the convertor.

BTW, the wide to narrow band convertor converts the 0-5v wideband voltage into 0-1v in a simple linear fashion, but it is inversely proportional, i.e where the wideband uses a high voltage for a lean mixtuer the convertor flips this and then scales it down.

when hooked to a Autometer 20 LED narrow band disply, each LED represents a set incremental change in a/f ratio as the signal is now linear. Very very cool. Makes any device that is used with narrow band sensors directly compatible with wideband.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:58 AM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Blitz, I'll bet the two analog Nordskog gauges would work very well if they can be made to display wideband data. Please let us know what you find out from customer support.

I spoke to customer support and was told that the system works with the gauges I listed. Their display looks good so if I buy this set up I may just use it and get rid of my gauge.

They also say that the M300 is as accurate as the expensive widebands. I dont know if thats true but if it is this sounds like a very reasonable deal compared to what others are trying to get for such a simple device. I am very interested in this thing. Like I said, with the M300 I will be able to utilize my Piggybacks full potential so I am real interested.

Quick Reply: Useful? PLX device converts narrowband a/f gauge into wideband gauge