Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Random harness trivia....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Just as an FYI the grey goop in the harness is a fire retardant. Car catches fire and that stuff expands at a rapid rate with heat to block off the pass through the fire wall.
Interesting. Out of curiosity, do you have a reference to a brand name or supplier for this stuff? Is it used in modern harnesses?
Old 08-04-2016, 02:38 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

It is called an "Intumescent Sealant". The type Porsche used I am not sure. Possibly with a bit of research one could find out. I am guessing if one were to phone Porsche Cars North America you may be able to find out. Might take them a bit of time but I'm sure they could get that info.

I am 99% sure that is what the grey pasty material is. If I remember I will utilize my fire fighting/pyro talents this weekend.......with a pair of plyers and a blow torch......Don't try this at home I was a paid fire fighter for 15 years......that's my disclaimer LOL

Hilti and 3M make product but a quick look at the ones I have found so far are structural types "home and industrial"

Originally Posted by Dare
Interesting. Out of curiosity, do you have a reference to a brand name or supplier for this stuff? Is it used in modern harnesses?
Old 08-10-2016, 12:33 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gruhsy
If you grab individual wires you can peel apart kind of like "Jenga" and of course the harness was out of the car. I inquired about getting a whole wack load of different colour wire from a place in Calgary by my work and need to go back and see if they sourced it out for me. I can send you some odd ball colours if they managed to get it in. It was going to be in 1000ft rolls!!! I think that will leave me with enough for a couple of harnesses. Oh and I also pulled pins individually from each terminal location where necessary.
I would be interested in any of the factory colored wiring you are willing to sell - i would need enough for at least one harness but would be more than willing to buy more-

Mark

Quick Reply: Random harness trivia....