Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Budget 16v turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Bakanepa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still working on this. But as one can imagine, won't be quite possible for 2k.

Now i'm just lacking a clutch and the turbo, and i'm ready to throw the engine back into the car.

I removed 0.9mm from the pistons and will use a 1.9mm head gasket, giving me a compression ratio of 9.0. Have a lathe myself, so cost me $0, but a few hours labor.
Name:  s00OZCH.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  38.6 KB

I thought i had the cam issue sorted out, as i got a 944S cam for FREE with two teeth missing, but since i'm going the dual cam gear setup, that wouldn't matter. However when i got the cam and opened the box, the cam had somehow snapped in half?! So in other words i'm still looking for another cam.

I also thought i had the turbo sorted, as i got a spare original turbo when i bought a 964 turbo engine a couple of years ago, so i obviously assumed i'd have my k27 there, but turns out it was a 3LDZ from a 930, which is no good to me. I still think i'm going for a k27/8, unless someone has another bolt-on option supporting up to 400whp? If someone has something laying around i might be interested!

The other thing is the clutch. I have quite a new clutch with around 10k miles if i remember right, but I assume there are no reusable parts for me in there? Seems here that the KEP stage 1 PP with a cup disc is popular in this power range, but it would become quite expensive to get one of those to Europe with shipping and duties, so will most likely think of something else. Once again i'm open to ideas.

I will be using modified N/A headers with the stock crossover pipe. Yet to build an intake manifold, which will be a challenge as i will be short on time the whole winter..

For the engine management, i'm going with VEMS, which i have yet to order.

Name:  7JLe6ph.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  89.3 KB

Glass bead blasted all aluminium parts except for the block, which i used a steel brush on to avoid getting the glass in unwanted places. All screws and sheet metal parts I had electroplated for 10 euros, giving them a beautiful and shiny appearance. The valve cover i spent some hours polishing and clear coated. Block and head were resurfaced to allow the use of the MLS gasket. Just waiting for new valve guides and my head will be done.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:21 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

So, 944s2 spec pistons and 16v head on a N/A block = 500 reliable whp with a good registery?

I already have a big turbo and EMU ECU.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:09 PM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you use to polish up that valve cover? Looks great - I need to do the same
Old 11-13-2016, 06:06 PM
Bakanepa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by michael2e
What did you use to polish up that valve cover? Looks great - I need to do the same
Sand blasted the tricky parts to get the paint off, and a sander for the smooth surfaces, and also a bit of hand sanding required. once i had gotten down to 1500 grit paper i used a polishing machine and a dremel with the small polishing thingy for the tight places. Cleaned with brake cleaner and gave it a clear coat. The last part will take away a little bit of shine, but without a clear coat it would look terrible really soon.

Now i'm a bit stuck with the clutch and turbo. I've read a lot of good about the KEP1 PP and SBC + cup disk. Being from Europe, SBC isn't an option, but what is it that they do with the PP to make it stiffer, just a cryogenic treatment?

K27/8 was always the one i wanted to go with, but i'm thinking i may not be entirely satisfied with one. What would be recommended that's bolt-on and capable of 370-400whp without crazy boost?
Old 11-14-2016, 01:10 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Bakanepa
Sand blasted the tricky parts to get the paint off, and a sander for the smooth surfaces, and also a bit of hand sanding required. once i had gotten down to 1500 grit paper i used a polishing machine and a dremel with the small polishing thingy for the tight places. Cleaned with brake cleaner and gave it a clear coat. The last part will take away a little bit of shine, but without a clear coat it would look terrible really soon.

Now i'm a bit stuck with the clutch and turbo. I've read a lot of good about the KEP1 PP and SBC + cup disk. Being from Europe, SBC isn't an option, but what is it that they do with the PP to make it stiffer, just a cryogenic treatment?

K27/8 was always the one i wanted to go with, but i'm thinking i may not be entirely satisfied with one. What would be recommended that's bolt-on and capable of 370-400whp without crazy boost?
Talk to John at vitesse. He got nice bolt on turbos for you.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:01 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Just waiting for new valve guides and my head will be done.
Are you using standard 944S valve springs?
Old 11-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Bakanepa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thom
Are you using standard 944S valve springs?
Yes I am. I intend to keep the redline where it is, and expect the stock springs to be good enough. Since I don't track the car, i will also use the stock exhaust valves.
And yes, i'm also making a spare stock 8v engine too to use after this one blows. lol

Been checking the Vitesse website, but seems they only sell as a package.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:15 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Still working on this. But as one can imagine, won't be quite possible for 2k.

Just waiting for new valve guides and my head will be done.
Make sure you have the guides reamed after fitting or you might be on here crying wondering why you're knocking out followers and cams...
Old 11-14-2016, 03:05 PM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by blade7
Make sure you have the guides reamed after fitting or you might be on here crying wondering why you're knocking out followers and cams...
​​​​​​
Lol... While my 3l was knocking its cams and followers I was having a lot more fun than some frustrated old wife having a **** over a keyboard and rusty old parts gathering dust in a cellar
Old 11-15-2016, 05:23 AM
Thom
Race Car

You seem to revel in having a go at people who do not put up with your mud-slinging addiction... Have you considered consulting a psychiatrist?
Old 11-15-2016, 06:23 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

So, how past the target $2k are you?

Nice engine cover btw.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:28 PM
blade7
Drifting

You seem to revel in having a go at people who do not put up with your mud-slinging addiction... Have you considered consulting a psychiatrist?
Cheese eating surrender monkey.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:31 PM
blade7
Drifting

​​​​​​

Lol... I was having having a **** over a keyboard
Quoted for posterity.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:38 PM
Thom
Race Car