Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

On an 1986 that is street and MAY see track someday, is 30mm t-bar a good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On an 1986 that is street and MAY see track someday, is 30mm t-bar a good choice?

One thing that is probably fairly unique for my car is that I often have rear passengers. My kids (11 and 13) ride back there and we take the car most the time we go somewhere in town as a family. I had thrown some Koni's on it that were used but in good condition (ones on it when I got it where blown) and he had removed the heavy foam to get a bit more travel. He said all the racers did that. The downside is that when the kids are in the back and I corner hard it rubs.

So anyway, I want to give the rear a bit of a boost and put on heavier sway bars... as well as get some new shocks that won't travel so far! Just trying to come up with a winning solution. I'll match the front as well, thinking something in the 375lb range. But right now I'm focused on the rear and want to tackle it all while I'm in there.

I've also heard it's not safe to really track the '86 unless you change the front hubs and such, so I'll only use it with street tires at driver events and maybe open track days. Nothing to serious.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:33 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Removing the heavy foam aka bump rubber is a recipe to destroy a shock. The bump rubber is there to prevent the shock from bottoming out internally...remove it and you'll be shopping for new shocks soon. I'd install a new set of front and rear shocks that will be stiffer on the compression stroke like a new set of Koni Sport Yellows. Second, install some larger sway bars like the 968 M030 or Tarett. Third, and only if the first two don't solve your problem, install larger front springs and torsion bars.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 07-05-2016, 11:36 PM
Jon951
Instructor

I have a street 86 951 and a historic 86 851 race car. Because of the aluminum front a arms reputation I "upgraded" the street car to steel A arms with late offset hubs and big red brakes all around. I also upgraded to the MO30 suspension sway bars. The handling change was substantial and greatly increased my enjoyment of an already great car. Since the race car is historic, I've left the aluminum A arms on but have them inspected by a professional I trust before and after each race weekend. I'd recommend the late offset A arms and hubs from 87+ and the MO30 sway bars
Old 07-05-2016, 11:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I hope your roads are glass-smooth.
If you have not perfect roads, a 944 with bigger torsion bars rides like an unloaded pickup truck.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:49 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Sounds like new shocks and upgraded sway bars should be step one. I'll start there and see where that leaves me. Are the Koni shocks the way to go? I was looking at the Bilstein ones on the LR website as potential replacements.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:17 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I would go Koni over bilstein (having had them on various 944 / 951 / BMWs)...just my opinion.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually like / prefer the original swaybar on my "streetcar" Installed 30mm swaybar on my NA but liked the softer swaybar better.

Quick Reply: On an 1986 that is street and MAY see track someday, is 30mm t-bar a good choice?